Loads going cheap lately?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does one need to move to SD to be insured out of SD? Maybe ...... :rolleyes:
Why not try to run lean cpm ...... and make a good rate!?

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are the rates bad in good areas as well?

As much as i hate to say it, i understand the logic of running cheap out of a risky area. People get scared they will sit for a week or have to do a long deadhead out. I would rather run a load for 60 cents just to get the :censoredsign: out of laredo then sitting for a few days and then deciding its a lost cause and deadheading back into the core area.

Best way to do it is dont go to risky areas without some kinda bonus to buffer a deadhead or cheap rate out.
Just look at what you posted about Laredo and people wonder why the rates are so cheap out of lot of places.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Just look at what you posted about Laredo and people wonder why the rates are so cheap out of lot of places.
Exactly. Doesnt mean im always going to do that but sometimes it makes sense to run cheap so i can get somewhere i can get a better rate. And know that its a possibility ill have to do that when accepting a rate on a load going there originally.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly. Doesnt mean im always going to do that but sometimes it makes sense to run cheap so i can get somewhere i can get a better rate. And know that its a possibility ill have to do that when accepting a rate on a load going there originally.
as long as you make a few cents profit...like cover CPM and a few pennies more...but not a steady diet of them...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
With the overabundance of vans everywhere, they will always find someone who needs to get out of lots of places and will do it for cheap. It's just how it is. And the cheap rate becomes the new norm.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: beachbum and Compa

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the overabundance of vans everywhere, they will always find someone who needs to get out of lots of places and will do it for cheap. It's just how it is. And the cheap rate becomes the new norm.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
and we've said that for the what? last 10 years or better and yet here we are at the same rates...not up nor down any...

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
If youre only making a few pennies more than your cpm at 65 cents a mile you need to look at your spending in my opinion. Bare minimum that should be 20cents per mile net. Is that great money? No. But thats still above minimum wage at highway speeds. Also, just dont take loads to these low rate areas without extra money to compensate for the .65 out.

No your not going to get by running for like that always. But the quicker you can bounce back into freight lanes and still make some money the better.

Also, i could tell you guys a horror story about this guy i drove for for about 2 weeks. The cargo van i was given was basically falling apart. Steering column was super loose, had almost 500k on it (gas engine), was rusted all around the outside, torn apart.......what do you think that vans CPM was?? How much profit do you think he makes on 65 cents per mile? Probably a lot more than i would make. Im just saying theres people like that out here and you gotta compete with them.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, i could tell you guys a horror story about this guy i drove for for about 2 weeks. The cargo van i was given was basically falling apart. Steering column was super loose, had almost 500k on it (gas engine), was rusted all around the outside, torn apart.......what do you think that vans CPM was?? How much profit do you think he makes on 65 cents per mile? Probably a lot more than i would make. Im just saying theres people like that out here and you gotta compete with them.
I don't remember giving you my Dodge van ...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If youre only making a few pennies more than your cpm at 65 cents a mile you need to look at your spending in my opinion. Bare minimum that should be 20cents per mile net. Is that great money? No. But thats still above minimum wage at highway speeds. Also, just dont take loads to these low rate areas without extra money to compensate for the .65 out.

No your not going to get by running for like that always. But the quicker you can bounce back into freight lanes and still make some money the better.

...... with them?
This thread has turned from a comedy into a tragedy. Who in their right mind handles these shipments for .65 per loaded mi ..?
Comedic tragedy ....

graham 3.gif

Last edited:

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Doesnt matter if im single or married im talking about business numbers whatever you choose to do with your bottom line is you weather thats being single with few expenses or married with alot. A cost per mile doesnt include mortgage, child support payments, or whatever else goes on in your personal life.

I dont want to run for 65 cents a mile. Im trying to make the most profit I can per week. Im going to try to get more, but when im in risky areas ill take a low profit run to get out the same or next day vs waiting 3 days losing money just sitting there waiting for an .85cpm run, and then possibly deciding to deadhead a long way for 0 CPM. If you dont like it im sorry. Doesnt mean im ever even considering it in ohio or some other decent or even kinda decent area. Thats just when im trying to get out of a city thats a far DH from a better area, that i also dont like. I wouldn't mind sitting in denver or salt lake city waiting for a decent rate as much because i like mountains and could probably find something cool to do waiting. But laredo, el paso, phoenix....creepy vibes, hot nasty desert heat, no thanks. Ill run for cheaper to leave sorry.

I dont know why this is so appalling to yall when i hear the advice all the time on here that if you are getting a run to these riskier western cities to ask for more so you can deadhead like 500+ miles sometimes back to the western midwest. Why not on top of doing that try to get SOMETHING???

D1964

Rookie Expediter
Driver
With the overabundance of vans everywhere, they will always find someone who needs to get out of lots of places and will do it for cheap. It's just how it is.

I heard from my broker that someone took a load to California from CHICAGO! today for 70 cpm, I really hope, that those people quickly go out of business

Last edited by a moderator:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

You aren't making minimum wage as a driver. Minimum wage workers do not work 100 hours a week. They don't spend their free time waiting around for their telephones to ring. Even when you're not driving 18 hours straight, you're still at work, just like a fireman on a 24 hour shift. But the minimum wage worker actually has benefits. They have disability benefits and they are paying into social security. Their employer pays 6 percent into their social security retirement and another 3 percent into their Medicare. As a driver, you have to pay 18 percent of your own net wages just to have a retirement benefit along with a medical benefit when you are older. The minimum wage worker is living a better life, making more money, and actually has a retirement coming. It might be a small retirement, but it's way more than an expediter will have. I've been running the numbers on making a driving come back and I have come to the conclusion that it would be a waste of time/life. I can get a few cleaning contracts and make 3k a month, working part time, and that is about what I would make as a driver working 24/7 and living in parking lots. The Expediting job should pay you enough money to live a good life. You dedicate 75 percent of your life to it, maybe more. You should earn enough money to be buying a new vehicle every 5 years, have all of the maintenance and washing paid for, live like a king on the road, and have plenty of money to support a household. 1.50 to 2.00 an hour at least for the type of service you provide and for being on call 24/7. Period. But like everything else, once the big companies get ahold of an industry, they turn it into a sweat shop operation. Trucking used to pay well before deregulation and before the big companies took over. Everyone is running the industry into the ground and just cycling through fresh meat every few months. It's a shame, because so much of your life is spent out there on the road and for pennies on the dollar. You guys are selling yourselves short. Too short in my opinion. :-(

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I was comparing a crap-rate runs actual per hour after expenses rate to minimum wage, not comparing expediting to a minimum wage job. Those are completely different.

Also im talking about van expediting as an owner operator....not trucking, which you can get 1.50 to 2 a mile.