Loading box truck

Isuzu 2020

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I would like to know if pushing or pulling loads off a box truck hurts the transmission. I have a customer that pushes all the bins on with a fork lift and we use a strap to pull off loads. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks. Glad to join the crowd.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say that any parked vehicle having directional force applied to it would be a cause for concern.
Chock the wheels, and try not to have the fork lift driver ram the truck is about as good as you can do.

Isuzu 2020

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
How about having the bins put on the back of the truck and I use a pallet jack to move them around. No more pushing or pulling. Thoughts?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How about having the bins put on the back of the truck and I use a pallet jack to move them around. No more pushing or pulling. Thoughts?
Depending on your truck, and weight of the pallets, it could work. I used to use an electric pallet jack to do just what your thinking. However, they are extremely heavy, which could affect your payload.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I remember one time many years ago a fork lift driver unloading my heavy load with cube van and telling me to set my emergency brake because unloading could be detrimental to transmission. I'm not sure if that was true, but I always set my emergency brake while loading and unloading. Lots of heavy loads with pushing and pulling with a chain and a fork lift with the cube. No issues with trans in the two years I had it. And none with sprinter for 3 years and cargo van for 5.
Just my experience with it. Maybe just lucky

Reactions: RoadTime

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
put van in neutral, set park brake, use wheel chocks. thats best way not to cause transmission issues. having tran in neutral reduces chance that park prawl (gear that keeps trans in park)could be broken

Reactions: muttly

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
When they are loading unit , they don't care about your unit. Put landing gear in back of your truck, also when getting a unit have a strong floor build in box. Some trucks are not meant for forklifts to used on them. Get a pallet jack with 6,000 lbs . Have rails put inside to make sure pallets don't jam up rid open side of box.