Load1

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
He is wandering the oil fields of Texas.

At least that is the story we are going with.

noneya

Active Expediter
I completed orientation today and I hope this works out because I am tired of changing carriers, taking dot physicals and paying to pee in cups.

Last edited:

plegs1

Active Expediter
Hi John,

I am new to the forum, and new to the industry. For the last few months, my wife and I have been researching, studying and asking ourselves.....are we nuts?!!
Well.....we were before anyway. There is excellent info on this and other forums as to the pros/cons of expediting.
I appreciate the positive feedback on Load 1...and wondered if you could give us some advice and direction.
In a nutshell; We....wife and I....are 'mature' almost senior citizens, with excellent driving and personal references. We have owned a few different business, enjoy working and growing something, and like being on the road. We have no specific trucking experience....except over the years towing fifth wheels, trailers, and the like. Typical stuff. On another forum, sought advice as to RV hauling OR Expediting......a lot of responses...seems to be 2 to 1 Expediting. Basically our idea was to 'wade' into this.....get our feet wet, learn the ropes, etc, without losing our shirt. Toward that end, do not have a CDL....thought we would wait a bit and see what comes. We have the means to buy a Sprinter or van.....plan being to find a good company ( seems difficult ) load boards, and get started.
We are that exception to most rules.....really old fashioned, believe in straight talk....honestly!. and exceeding expectations by under promising but over delivering.....not the other way around! Old school I guess, but we built good companies on doing more than expected...particularly in customer service.
So, I guess the questions are .....can you give us the benefit of your years in business, and direct us as to ......where/how to start......is our basic plan sound ( start small, o/o van or Sprinter, get on the road, find good company) ...many question on load boards, what ...is that a bid process?
Another driver suggested apprenticing first....which seems to make sense....a mentor....but...who, where?
We live in central Virginia, have modest expectations on income, the trade off of working together and being on the road at this point worth it.
I welcome your feedback!!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Advice .....don ' t park between OVM & the Rev. Guido ........:p

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Hi John,

I am new to the forum, and new to the industry. For the last few months, my wife and I have been researching, studying and asking ourselves.....are we nuts?!!
Well.....we were before anyway. There is excellent info on this and other forums as to the pros/cons of expediting.
I appreciate the positive feedback on Load 1...and wondered if you could give us some advice and direction.
In a nutshell; We....wife and I....are 'mature' almost senior citizens, with excellent driving and personal references. We have owned a few different business, enjoy working and growing something, and like being on the road. We have no specific trucking experience....except over the years towing fifth wheels, trailers, and the like. Typical stuff. On another forum, sought advice as to RV hauling OR Expediting......a lot of responses...seems to be 2 to 1 Expediting. Basically our idea was to 'wade' into this.....get our feet wet, learn the ropes, etc, without losing our shirt. Toward that end, do not have a CDL....thought we would wait a bit and see what comes. We have the means to buy a Sprinter or van.....plan being to find a good company ( seems difficult ) load boards, and get started.
We are that exception to most rules.....really old fashioned, believe in straight talk....honestly!. and exceeding expectations by under promising but over delivering.....not the other way around! Old school I guess, but we built good companies on doing more than expected...particularly in customer service.
So, I guess the questions are .....can you give us the benefit of your years in business, and direct us as to ......where/how to start......is our basic plan sound ( start small, o/o van or Sprinter, get on the road, find good company) ...many question on load boards, what ...is that a bid process?
Another driver suggested apprenticing first....which seems to make sense....a mentor....but...who, where?
We live in central Virginia, have modest expectations on income, the trade off of working together and being on the road at this point worth it.
I welcome your feedback!!

Like any career change I would take it slow. I hate to see anyone invest in something without having a good feeling and understanding of what is being undertaken. I personally would never suggest to someone to jump right into being an owner operator. I would explore options of driving for an owner operator or fleet owner for a period of time. Be honest and upfront with them about your goals. This gives you a chance for both of you to try it out and determine if it is right for both of you before you make a capital investment. IMHO.