Load straps

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
So what's the deal with load straps? Every single strap I have loosens as I drive, even the new ones, even if I use multiple straps. What gives? Do these things just suck?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I used e-track and had my straps made by Lodi Metals. Cargo Bars | E Track | Load Bars | Winch Straps | Ratchet Straps

They were custom made. I had a Chev. G3500 so 2 skids was my limit. I had straps good for 1 skid and another set good for 2 skids. They were 14' and 18' and 2 colors so easily identified. The ratchet was placed 6 inches from the end of the strap. I could tightly secure anything from a small object against the sidewall to full skids. Mass-market straps have the ratchet 3-4 feet from the end and are no good for small items. My straps held securely no matter what. If I went back out I wouldn't have anything but LM straps made the same way again.

I also had a couple of extended beam sockets. Extended Wood Beam Socket for E Track | E Track | Lodi Metals I put them in the two rows of e-track on the floor and put a solid 2x12 lumber in. The skid butted up against that when slid in. Not as good as a solid wall but definitely a solid support point. Then my straps went up and over, in an X pattern, and latched in the slot in front of my "wall". Thankfully I never had an event to test it but I believe it would have helped, at least some.

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
I used e-track and had my straps made by Lodi Metals. Cargo Bars | E Track | Load Bars | Winch Straps | Ratchet Straps

They were custom made. I had a Chev. G3500 so 2 skids was my limit. I had straps good for 1 skid and another set good for 2 skids. They were 14' and 18' and 2 colors so easily identified. The ratchet was placed 6 inches from the end of the strap. I could tightly secure anything from a small object against the sidewall to full skids. Mass-market straps have the ratchet 3-4 feet from the end and are no good for small items. My straps held securely no matter what. If I went back out I wouldn't have anything but LM straps made the same way again.

I also had a couple of extended beam sockets. Extended Wood Beam Socket for E Track | E Track | Lodi Metals I put them in the two rows of e-track on the floor and put a solid 2x12 lumber in. The skid butted up against that when slid in. Not as good as a solid wall but definitely a solid support point. Then my straps went up and over, in an X pattern, and latched in the slot in front of my "wall". Thankfully I never had an event to test it but I believe it would have helped, at least some.
I wish I had E-track. I drive somebody else's van and it's outfitted with the semi-circular floor rings that I guess come stock with a Sprinter, plus the cut-outs in the wall panels.

I've always wanted the straps with the ratchet in the middle.

Reactions: danthewolf00

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I wish I had E-track. I drive somebody else's van and it's outfitted with the semi-circular floor rings that I guess come stock with a Sprinter, plus the cut-outs in the wall panels.

I've always wanted the straps with the ratchet in the middle.
Northern tool has those circle load locks.
Fyi they are good for about 600 to 700 pounds. E-track is much stronger.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's one example page of design/build your own straps using the better quality heavy duty USA webbing. This is what I did except on the e-track page. They have several photos to illustrate the various options. And they do 1 inch etc. as well.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Here's one example page of design/build your own straps using the better quality heavy duty USA webbing. This is what I did except on the e-track page. They have several photos to illustrate the various options. And they do 1 inch etc. as well.

I'm thinking the problem with mine is in the ratchets. I mean, they must be moving as I drive, releasing tension. But they do it even when the WLL hasn't been reached. A couple are maybe 1.5" straps and the older ones are larger.

OkieSprint

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can get E-Tracks and e-track straps at harbor freight. They aren't as good as the custom ones people are talking about here of course, but I made the floorboard of my van at Lowe's and put it together in an afternoon without a lot of expense and it's lasted more than two and a half years. Just an idea

Reactions: Ironman

OkieSprint

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Again this isn't what I would do now, but for my first van it worked out very well.

Attachments

• Bed.jpg
    Bed.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 14

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Again this isn't what I would do now, but for my first van it worked out very well.
That's what is really like, but I don't own the van. He's pretty committed to having all of the cargo space available when the need arises, so I can't put in a bulkhead. So far, I've had 2 or 3 loads on which I had to take down my bed.

OkieSprint

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gotcha. My company requires a physical barrier between the freight and driver which is a good idea imo. At first I literally just had plywood attached to the pillars and it was directly behind my seat preventing much reclining at all. It worked, but was not ideal.

But after hauling loads for approx. 6 months I was able to measure out and build a storage area for myself that's only about 18 inches deep and still retain the space for three pallets. My van is a 350 xlt sprinter for reference.

I do not use a bunk but a tri fold RV mattress in my van floor when space allows... supplemented with close to a million Hilton rewards points from a previous life as a cost engineer for a Petro chem contractor. I have slowly whittled them down over the last two years, mostly when super hot or cold.

In my experience, I had to figure out as I went what worked and didn't. Advice here was extremely helpful, but you will find what works for you the more you run and have a good routine in no time. Good luck to you.