Load One 2021

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was pretty strange seeing a empty Times Square for the ball drop. Not like we didn’t see enough strange things in 2020

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: jjoerger and Ragman

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Apparently going to take a little longer...

• Wow
Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Apparently going to take a little longer...

I'm guessing your referring to todays events at the Capital o_O
I'm beyond words at what happened today.
I feel like I'm watching a movie. A very bad movie.
No way this could be real.

This is about as political as I get, and I never thought I would ever say this, but...
The only word that does keep coming to mind since the election is,...ashamed.
I'm ashamed of my President and my Republican party.

I voted for Trump, but I'll admit, 10% of me couldn't stomach another 4 years of his mouth and wanted Biden to Win.
Now, I just want Trump to go away. His handling of the election results is just flat out embarrassing.

I hope somehow things can be smoothed out, but with Trump unwilling to tone down his "they stole the election from us" verbiage, this may get a whole lot worse before it gets better :(

Reactions: kg and Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wasn’t this suppose to be really bad winter? So far, I’m not seeing it. Had snow for Christmas and that’s been it

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Don’t jinx it! But bad weather is often good for expedite.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Some things hit you harder than others. This one hits pretty hard to be honest. Just received word that after a battle with esophageal cancer....Steve James passed away last evening. Many of you may know him as SWJAMES on his EO name. I met Steve years ago when he was an owner operator at Tri State. We talked at the expedite expo’s over the years. In I think 2011 or 2012 he moved over to Load One and said it was the best thing he ever did. Steve was a good soul and always had a smile on his face. When he came to Load One his business flourished and he purchased a second truck and became a fleet owner. Over the years he continued to grow adding straight trucks, sprinters, and tractors to build his company along side Load One. Steve was also very involved in supporting charities and very much loved his wife Shicaire and family. Please keep them all in your thoughts and prayers. IMG_0542.JPG

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

• Sad
Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Sunday Funday load is getting less fun by the hour. Been waiting 2 hours for anyone but the snow plow drivers to show up. I’m getting that bad feeling that something got messed up. Maybe everyone got stuck in the snow?

Reactions: Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Finally got a answer from the customer and dispatch. Yup, their closed today

I’ve been booked on this run since Friday and drove 140 miles to Chicago to get here before the snow storm hit. So I wasn’t to keen on the idea of a dry run. But no worries. Will be picking up in the morning with wait time and layover pay added on Only down side now, is facing Chicago traffic in the morning. But hopefully, the roads will at least be better then they are now

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New phone system with some new numbers? I’ve noticed from my missed calls their have been some new L1 numbers added? I miss the TV show hold music already Hope this helps solve the phone issues

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
New phone system with some new numbers? I’ve noticed from my missed calls their have been some new L1 numbers added? I miss the TV show hold music already Hope this helps solve the phone issues

I know a lot of people are working from home. I've gotten several calls from their cell phones.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
That should be fixed. The new system gives us far more flexibility and allows us to use even our cell phones as an extension of the office platform. The caller ID issue should be resolved now. The 800 numbers and the local numbers didn’t “port” over at the same time as was supposed to happen. Have to love technology.

The hold music is an issue

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nearly three weeks ago I was getting things ready to go back in service. I had parked the van down the other end of the driveway next to the garage, and I was backing it up to go somewhere. Put it in Reverse and it didn't want to go, almost like all 4 tires had sunk down into soft ground and it didn't want to get out of the divots. Except it was on flat gravel, no divots. I kept giving it more gas and it finally started back up the very slight uphill grade. But it was way too many RPMs than it should have been. I got it back up a little bit, then put it in Drive, and didn't feel the normal "kick" when going in gear. Same thing moving forward, way too many RPMs to get it moving.

I went back and forth a few feet several times, let it warm up good, then got it out on the road, went and got fuel, couple of other places, drove it around a bit. Transmission acting all weird. It's been acting a little odd for months, but foe the last couple of weeks, and now here at home, after being parked for a while it took more gas and RPMs to get the van to move. After that it was fine. But on that drive around town, it was shifting weird, hard, early, late. I've known for a year there was a torque converter problem (shudder at 1800-2100 RPMs, classic indicator of the converter).

But no point in swapping out a torque converter on a transmission with nearly 600,000 miles on it, so I ordered a new Silvestar.

My mechanic, they can't get a Sprinter in the building. They can barely get an SUV in there. So it's gotta be done outside. Four days to get the transmission delivered, and then it turned off cold, low 40s and 30s. They ended up shirting the van and using one of those jet engine propane heaters like they use on NFL sidelines. Got the transmission replaced, but it's leaking at the electrical adapter socket plug. That's a pretty common leak point on well-used transmissions, but not new ones. Could have been anything, a little piece of trash on the o-ring, faulty socket, who knows. Silverstar sent out a new socket adapter plug, and my mechanic replaced it. But it took another four days to get the part.

Then, THEN, one of the motor mounts is broken (which certainly explains the vibration when in Reverse). Ordered motor mounts. Three days to get them in. The mechanics can't get them to line up. That's apparently a pretty common problem. Depends on how you position the mounts. But they got sent the wrong parts, anyway. Ordered the correct parts. Then it turned cold again, too cold to work on it. Another week goes by, and they finally get the motor mounts installed.

Next up, replace the windshield, because there's a big crack across it, and I've got a leak at the top center because, believe it or don't, there's a lot of rust around the windshield frame. But have to wait until it stops raining and gets up to at least 40 degrees, because the glass shop can't get me in the building, either.

They put a lot, a lot of work on that windshield. Several hours yesterday and several more today. The problem was more about how the other 8 or so windshields were replaced more than the rust. Somebody along the line actually used Expoxy up in there. Some used knives instead of wires to remove cracked windshields. It was a real mess. They did a lot of grinding, painting, priming, restoration. Two days. But, $277.
And the transmission and motor mounts, just had to pay half and then I can pay the rest of it when I get it. It's a small town and everybody knows everybody. :) (but that's also why I never even considered complaining about the wait time).

So, transmission, motor mounts, windshield. Three weeks. Because it's still cold, he doesn't want me to drive it for another 24 hours, so give all that time to cure. So I'll be back in service next week. Yay.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yikes, that sounds like a mess and a half
I have a shudder Wayne hasn’t been able to give a answer on that occurs between 1100-1200 RPM’s like clockwork. I wonder if it’s the torque converter? Other then that no other problems. But like yours, it’s at 600,000 miles, so probably just continue dealing with it until it needs a new transmission

IMG_6593.JPG

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Yikes....that is a lot to get done. But at least it was over the slower time of the year.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wonder if it’s the torque converter?
Possibly, as the torque converter lock-up clutch can slipping and jutter at any speeds, but that 1800-2100 RPM is one of the classic signs. If it shudders at 2000 in 5th gear and you shift to 4th gear (or 4th to 3rd) and it goes away, it's probably the torque converter. 1100 RPMs is kinda low for a transmission shudder. I'd take a look at the motor mounts. Actually, I'd have someone who knows what they're looking at take a look at the motor mounts.