Listening to Landline and APUs

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I found this whole story to be nothing but a bunch of bull. (and I usually enjoy the stories)

Straight truck pulls in (guess what kind?) Two people exit and start up there APU as they go into shower so the complaintant states.

With in minutes he claims his Carbon MX detector goes off and he is QUOTE "gagging" from the MX inside of his truck.

I than hear that APUs throw off 80% less Carbon MX for every gallon of fuel burned than an ideling truck. Gallon used vs Gallon used not time.

So I wanted to see myself, so while working on my truck with Polishers etc, vacs, all appliances while I was working near the APU you know I could not even ever notice the fumes while working for an hour or so right next to it while it was running buffers polishing the alum tanks.

Some people will cry and whine about anything. I get confused when such a great invention money saving item causes someone to be a cry baby.

Sure they make some noise, but causing him to Gagg? I have never expierenced this from another APU ever. Not like the straight truck I was next to last week with my windows shut, not running the APU and I had to move back 20 feet as I could smell (really could) the exhaust fumes of that truck.

Also if the straight truck backed in has he stated and he pulled back in with a 53 foot trailer how would the alignment of the APU be near his Cab? My APU is midway between the front and rear drives, thus so is everyone elses on a straight truck I have ever seen. So when backed in I am behind his drives away from the cab? Call it like I see it, guy has got to be lying or these trucks were in one wierd position.

Whats your thought?

Ps since we investors of these units are being so kind to the envornment shoul'nt people be pleased instead of crying?

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
Hey Broompilot,

Sounds like someone is upset that they do not have one.

Like yourself I try to back in deep so my APU is about 1/4 to 1/2 way down the trailer next me, or a curb spot with the APU turned to the curb. And I know if all filters are maintained they always burn clean.
Never had a problem with fumes. And after a while the noise level becomes almost un-noticed. (Sure as hell is not as loud as a Refrige unit starting and stopping all night)

AbeJr
TranStewart #6680
Stand Tall & Be Proud

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Nuther truck stop horror story eh Broom?? That why I stay at one every couple years or so. So i can reinforce my total dislike for them. If that fella was gagging, maybe, he should'a kicked that lizzard out sooner than he did. Or, something.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
that's why i try usually end up runnin so late in the nite that the truck stop is full and i sleep on the on ramp. anyway.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I met a guy a while back with an old FL70 like mine but his front end looked really nice. I told him his truck looked nice and he said it ought to. Yep, front end removed for him by driver in a truck stop. He had backed all the way up and whoever was beside him didn't see anything beside them and didn't check their mirror good and just pulled out and cut it and dragged their trailer all over him. He said he has been hit five times in about four years. All at truck stops and always he was sitting still.

Other than showers and fuel I'm staying out of truck stops now... Too many "Pros" that can't handle what they drive.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
That guy either has really bad luck or he is parking in bad spots. We always park at Truck stops and have never been hit, in 27 years. (Thank-you Lord) We also have a APU and we talked to our Dealer who installed and sold it to us and he said that it would be very unlikely to get carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhust. The conditions would have to be extreme no wind and parked next to with the windows open.