listening to drivers complain......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm getting my own equipment in february after holidays and during tax return. This guy gave me an opportunity to drive to get my foot in the door in this field so I have repaid him by stickjng with him for a year. I have informed him that I'm going on my own by march. I have been around the big rigs forever but never drove cuz i haf young kids. I also had no clue expediting was out hete like it is. Once I did I got with this guy. Right now i get cheap rate working for him but I make up for it in miles. There is no negotiating rate cuz he has a flat rate agreement with company he is leased onto. For three months i averaged 3000 miles per week, not including deadhead. what is solid rate for cargo van? sprinter?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm getting my own equipment in february after holidays and during tax return. This guy gave me an opportunity to drive to get my foot in the door in this field so I have repaid him by stickjng with him for a year. I have informed him that I'm going on my own by march. I have been around the big rigs forever but never drove cuz i haf young kids. I also had no clue expediting was out hete like it is. Once I did I got with this guy. Right now i get cheap rate working for him but I make up for it in miles. There is no negotiating rate cuz he has a flat rate agreement with company he is leased onto. For three months i averaged 3000 miles per week, not including deadhead. what is solid rate for cargo van? sprinter?

That is interesting. You claim rates are cheap, that brokers make all the money, bash those who don't agree. Now you admit not even knowing what rates should be and ask for help from the very people you bashed. Call me confused.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That is interesting. You claim rates are cheap, that brokers make all the money, bash those who don't agree. Now you admit not even knowing what rates should be and ask for help from the very people you bashed. Call me confused.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Not to mention the flat rate pay which means he has no idea what the brokers are making since it is passing through his company as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Educate me. Panther has load from customer, what is panther considered? broker or agent? There is an amount of money paid from customer to get freight shipped. That goes to agent, correct? Then agent looks for cheapest carrier usually through broker? I mentioned before that I may be giving the broker title to wrong person. I do know that the money the customer pays for freight to be shipped is mostly with that "agent". I picked up load that was paying $700 total to the company I work for but the customer paid $2400 for the shipping of that freight. The third parties i agree are not making the money, but they are taking an additional piece of the pie from drivers after agent takes the biggest piece. For sake of argument I'll say strike isn't answer to fixing that issue, but what would you suggest? Brokers and agents whether hiring or contracting drivers ARE responsible for why so many trucks. I hear often from drivers that they cant get runs from fdd sx, panther, olt, or whichever comoany they were with because they've hired or contracted on so many drivers. As you said there are more drivers than loads. No, i dont have any solid ideas to fix it other than to get together as a whole to try and figure what can be done. maybe iooda has suggestions. I do feel that efucatinv other drivers on things such as rates, equipment, money saving tips, etc would go a long way in the start of rectifying some things. I know we have alot of guys that dont know whats gojng on aside frkm drive. I try to learn all the time, which is why i get frustrated on here from all the pickinv apart. I want to learn if there's something to be learned. I'm not closed minded by far.

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My point on rates is that they could be better if the drivers all did their part(not underbid to excess) and if companies didn't flood the market with drivers. If you read everything you would have read that I said you can make money still in this business. The way you're viewing my comments is way off. You're under the impression that I am saying this is a dead business with no future or money to be made. Not so. I love being on the road which makes the so so money even better. I love the profession. As I said my father has been driver my entire life. I feel that we can do better for ourselves by helling one another. I never said brokers make all the money, my point is that for the investment and time they put in their pay is better than driver ckmpared to our investment and time. My asking for help was the biggest reason for my posting in first place. I was hoping for feedback including suggestions. I didn't expect everyone to agree with me i wanted to evoke talk that i had hoped would include each persons ideas or thohght on how to help our profession. Hope that clears up the cinfusion somewhat. I'm not an azzhole but can be one when dealing with azzhole attitudes. I woulx much rather have a constryctive talm than empty wise cracking.

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm basing it mostly off of my knowledge of reg trucking. same basis and channels. Customer pays x amount for freight to be moved, agent gets x dollars then goes to broker or their own driver and only offers small portion of paid money from customer.

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tell me what YOU know, paul. You seem intent on trying to te me what I DON'T know so enlighten me beczuse I doubt you know squat! You have no clue if what I'm saying is true or not cuz you have no idea. I know 100% it works that way in my fathers end of the industry, so I find it hard to believe it doesn't on this end. As I said I did hear that one time I picked uo how much was paid by customer compared to what agent paid to our broker. Yes, that was only one load I know of but do you really believe it was only time?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
show me a single serious suggestion. All of you are so intent on bashing my opinion that you miss whatz going on right in front of you. Do the brokers/agents hireand contract drivers? Is the industry flooded with drivers? Does having too many drivers cause rates to fall? Does turning down a low rate keepinv one of the other hundrecs of drivers from taking it? Does lower rates equal more money into the pockets of brokers/agents or drivers?All of you ignorant comics answer those questions. If you put in the same wisd cracking effort into helping drivers rather than putting them down there might be hope. Educate new drivers on how to rate their runs, help them with locations to sit for load, offer equipment advice, etc. I seen a post where a guy asked about how he goes about findi.g a good company to lease on with but you guys were only interested in tearing him apart about suping up his suspension. Yes, he was makjng a mistake but youvuys wise cracked at him rather than offer real help. This is my point im trying to make. Not strike , not low pay, but tryng to help make our profession better.

Again, unless you can come up with a new argument and solution that's not merely a restatement of things you've already stated, then this thread is done. Your flawed premise hasn't changed, and you've refused to educate yourself even from the information to be found in this thread. We're done.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
The only way to change things is with representation. A strike won't work. Swift, JB, Werner and others spend money trying to influence laws that hurt the O/O and IC. Big companies are siding with safety improvements because it is too expensive for smaller companies to comply. The best option appears to be OOIDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.