Lift/Pusher Axle on D-Units??

sickdog40

Seasoned Expediter
Does the effect of putting a pusher or lift axle in front of the drive axle really help that much with geting the the goal of 13,000 load capacity?? I just can't see how that would really help the weight problem on the front axle.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
A pusher in combination with using common sense in how you load adds 14000 lbs to your gross, as far as weight problems on the steer axle,done properly you can actually take weight off the nose with a pusher. i have had both a pusher and a tag both were very useful and profitable, loads over 13000 pays tractor rates at least with the company I am leased with and that 40 to 80 cents extra a mile pays for the extra axle in short order.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have a pusher and it takes the weight off the steers. Think of it like a see-saw...the pusher axle drops in front of the drives almost in the middle of the box thereby lifting the weight off both the rear and the front.

Without the pusher axle, we would be unable to be a D unit with FedEx as you have to be able to carry 13,000 pounds. We weigh 27,000 pounds unloaded. We load everything short of 6,000 pounds on the rear drives of the truck always. We do this to keep the weight off the steers as well as the fact the truck rides better with the weight positioned on the drives.

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

sickdog40

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the answers, just confirms what I was thinking. I'm trying to find a D unit new that will perform as a D unit. I was ordering a 08 Volvo vn780 stretched with both axles down. Now, the factory says it can't even start our truck until October. I've heard all the nonsense about the FET tax and waiting to get it later. I'm going to order a Class 8 with the pusher already there so I don't have to do it later. Some friends of ours got audited by the IRS and they had to pay that FET for thier tag and it wans't without fines. What's the old saying..."Pay Now or you'll Pay Later"? Now, we have full financing and no truck. I'm giving FYDA a call about their class 8 configurations, not sure about the Sterlings. Their class 8 is one ugly truck. Any suggestions in that direction too would be greatly appreciated as well. Bruce

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got a class 8 Sterling and am very satisfied with it. Jon Mosier builds an excellent truck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I have a pusher on my truck and like having the ability to shift the weight off my steers as well.

I'd like to mention two things that may apply to your purchase as well.

One is that here in Ky. if your GVWR falls between 44k and 55k they classify your truck as tax exempt, my truck is 46k.

Also when I bought the truck from Alumi-bunk they said that the 1st owner has to pay the excise tax, they sent me a copy of what appears to be a title (can't remember the name of it) showing Alumi-bunk as the 1st owner and myself being the 2nd owner but when I received the actual title (still can't remember) Alumi-Bunks name had disapearedx( go figure HUH? but I kept the faxed copy just in case.

Good Luck!

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
they sent me a copy of what appears to be a title (can't remember the name of it) showing Alumi-bunk as the 1st owner

Quite possibly a "Manufacturuer's Statement of Origin - it's what one uses to get a title when the vehicle has never been titled before.