LICENSE PLATE FRONT OR BACK

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Was wondering if anyone could tell me where you mount your license plate. On the front of the vehicle or on the back? Reason I ask is, I get pulled into the scale everyime I go into MS. For having the license plate on the back. They say it goes on the front. I used to have it on the front, and several years ago got pulled over in KY. And was told it had to be on the back. I am apportioned out of PA. And PA code says that vehicles with one license plate,must display the plate on the rear of the vehicle. Except for truck tractors,which must display the plate on the front. So the question is on a straight truck where does the plate go???

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When I had Oklahoma registration I called the OK Dept of Motor Vehicles and they said to put it on the front.I was only stopped one in Colorado by a local cop and once I explained it to him ,he was ok with it. Since I had to reaportion in Florida I now have dual plates.
I think whatever your local State wants you to do is the rule.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you are based out of Pa, then you must follow Pa's rules. The best thing to do is to get a copy of the ruling from Pa, take it to a notary and pay the 3 or 5 bucks, get it notarized and carry it with you. When those A-HOLES pull their BS show them the notarized copy of the Pa ruling and tell them to kiss your A-S-S!!!! But do it in a polite way. LOVE THE CHICKEN HOUSE FLUNKIES!!!! This will work!!!

G

I've been a trooper for over 15 years and I could care less what a notary in a state 1000 miles away puts his stamp on. Having said that my view on the subject is this.... If I stop you and you have the attitude that is displayed in the above posting your going to get a ticket! Hell, your going to get all the tickets I can come up with. Tag light, dirty running boards, fail to sign your registration card, you get the point.

Point being, attitude gets you along way in this world. I don’t know any troopers who would stop you for having it one place over the other but if I stopped you for something else and you had a bad attitude I'd burn you a new one on ever thing I could.

What you might run into is if your in a state that displays a tag on the front and yours is on the rear the officer is conditioned to automatically think because he doesn’t see one as you meet that you don’t have a tag. When you pass him he’s already starting his turn to come after you and may not see you have a tag on the rear.

What the SC state law says is that it must be displayed on the rear, at least 18 inches above the ground but no more that 36 inches above the ground. It must be kept clean and clear of obstructions. It must be illuminated with a WHITE LIGHT (not a funky flashing colored light) and be able to be read from 50 feet at night. The law does allow any vehicle that because its use either has a high chance of the tag getting damaged (a dump truck it the biggest one) or tows a trailer most of the time to display it in the front.

I don’t know for sure but since the federal government tells most states what laws to pass when dealing with traffic and vehicle operation I'd guess this is basically the same for every state.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
have, and know it's best to be nice and show respect, than to be angry and rude, and piss one of you bears off.

Actually I am kind of glad you felt the need to defend yourself and/or follow bears, and post your routine actions when stopping a person, showing some uncomforting actions or as you put it, attitude! Just proves yet again give someone authority (A badge) and they think their a god. Now I don’t know you, and I’m not accusing you of acting above the law, but I think your thread speaks for itself. Yes maybe all the tickets you would write a person would be legit, but why aren’t you writing them all the time to all the people you are pulling over, having the same violations. Who gave to the right to judge? Your job, as I understand is to enforce the law (all the laws)

I know you guys deal with all the elements but then so do most of us drivers. Did it ever cross your mind that JUST MAYBE the driver you stopped may have just been provoked by someone or something, (just as you may) and hasn’t yet had a chance to cool down, and bingo some above the law bear (not saying you) is hot on his butt pulling him over or he is getting harassed by some chicken house god. I don’t know you (and from the post above don’t want to) but last I heard you bears are human just like us drivers.

Makes one wonder why most people feel so ill-at-ease when getting stopped by a public servant supposing to enforce the law, then become so irate when that same person wearing the badge titled as a law enforcer decides to play god.

I do think you are right Rich!!! SC will never see me or my van - I hope not anyway!!! x( x( x( Have a nice day all!!!:D :D :D

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Kinda reminds me of when hubby and I see dog "cleaning" himself and hubby always asks "you know why he does that don't you" and I always respond "BECAUSE HE CAN"!!!! DD

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Far be it from me to critisize the police,I realize that they put their lives on the line every day to protect us from the barbarians among us but it also sounds like tht SC Trooper has an attitude.
My only pet peeve with the police is when you come upon an accident scene at night and there will be 5 Police cars,maybe a First Aid unit and a Fire Engine or two, and everyone will have every possible light flashing like crazy and you can!t see a damn thing. I think if the Highway Guys could ride high up in a truck and see how it affects us,perhaps they might realize that they can cause accidents.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Have always had my old OK plate on the back, never once been questioned about it. New NY plate will also go on the back. I think the general rule is tractors up front, staright trucks in the back. Sometimes weigh station people (and toll booths too) seeing straight trucks with sleepers pull up initially think they are tractors with a pup trailer, especially at night.
-Weave-
BTW: Mr. State trooper: You can try to intimidate anybody you have pulled over back home doing your job under your laws, but I don't think it's wise to attempt law enforcement here. Might be able to write tickets in your locale, but understand here sir you are under the laws of Expediters Online. How does that feel? If you want friends in the trucking business, you are in the right place. If not, keep in your hiding place and writing speeding tickets back home- you can't burn anyone a new one or write tickets here. -MP-

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Just because they wear a big bad badge doesnt mean one automatically deserves respect !...gee whiz a cops supposed to be a CIVIL SERVANT... forget that one ? There was a time when a badge meant something like you are willing to take a bullet to save a citizen (just an example) but not anymore from what ive seen!...we had a deaf learning disabled type shot dead hearabouts because he raised a rake to a cop...Oh my! the cop might have needed a few stitches if the perp got lucky! So because someone doesnt think a cop is a god, and everyone doesnt have to kneel down before them he gets written up ? Sounds like gestapo to me......

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
thanks for the input from everyone. i am going to leave my plate on the back. and get copy of the state code to carry with. just get tired of ms pulling me in scale. time is money. mr trooper sure got a attitude problem. must have ate a bad donut or something. well enough on that. thanks again

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Doubt very seriously that he was a cop. Although I have the feeling that if he was, he wouldn't pass muster...

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well, I'm just dying to see what NYS sends me for my IRP plate(s). Should get 2 for front and back like a car.
-Weave-

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
I was stopped at bollingbrook scales in IL and asked why my plate was on the rear,I told them IRP in Ohio told me thats where they go,he said no problem and have a nice day.so maybe at atitude(sp)does mean something.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I was stopped at bollingbrook scales in IL and asked why my
>plate was on the rear,I told them IRP in Ohio told me thats
>where they go,he said no problem and have a nice day.so
>maybe at atitude(sp)does mean something. Yes it does

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No not me! Silverdollar was, I was just quoting his post and answering it about peoples attitudes when dealing with our law enforcement.

Read the post above mine!

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
The scale was open and as I was going through they pulled me around back because they did not see a plate on the front.