libraries i like

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I'm going to use this thread to highlight some of the libraries that I use along the way. I am a fan of libraries and find them a good escape from the confines of the vehicle. Libraries are air conditioned, and quiet, the rest rooms are clean, and at many places the library is near a local park. Many libraries today have wifi and/or computer centers. I have my own computer and internet connection, but it is still nice to plug into a power outlet and work at a table.

I don't plan to post about every library I visit or everything about a particular library. As a minimum I'll try to include street and web address, and any particulars that make it a good place to stop. Most of what I cover won't apply to tractor trailers, but I will note exceptions. As for straight trucks I'll post if there is room for a truck, but I'm not going to check on zoning or parking policy.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
laredo, tx

Laredo Public Library

1120 E. Calton Rd.
Laredo, TX 78041

Of all the libraries, Laredo is the only one that has a sign that specifically says where "tractor/trailers" are allowed to park. My recommendation is to visit the area sometime without trailer in tow and see for one's self. One bobtail parks there regularly. I think the driver lives in the neighborhood.

This library has two floors, so there is room to spread out and roam. Plenty of table space with power outlet access. You'll find me upstairs at the north wall/window--tables posted as a cell phone use area.

It is near the airport and a couple miles east of the eastside Walmart Supercenter where big trucks park.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
greenfield, in

Main Library - Greenfield

900 W. McKenzie
Greenfield, IN 46140

Greenfield is about fifteen miles east of Indianapolis. The library is about four miles off the interstate. I use this library regularly, because it is at the exit for a regular consignee. The Walmart Supercenter at this exit allows big truck parking and has auto diesel.

The library ... oops, gotta run.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
greenfield, in (continued)

I forgot to finish this one.

The library is medium sized and new. Good, open parking lot. I have seen rv's parked there. Inside there is plenty of desk space, and lots of power outlets.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
canton, mi

Canton Public Library

1200 S. Canton Center Rd.
Canton, MI 48188

This is a good place to waste a bunch of hours. It's four miles from the Ikea exit on the I-275 Detroit bypass. The library is part of a community center complex that includes city offices, park, golf course, the works...

The library is medium-large, leaning towards large. A variety of parking within the park area. A straight truck might start by looking up the location with google earth. The Heritage Park near the community center has some of the township's larger vehicles parked in the lot. Heritage Park is within site of the library. This library is a larger version of the Greenfield, IN library. Added benefit of having a park with a half mile footpath loop. There is also a coffee bar onsite.

Another possible option is Westland, MI. It is closer to the Ikea exit, but it didn't look like it had as much park space. I'll check it on another day.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
westland, mi

Public Library of Westland

6123 Central City Pkwy
Westland, MI 48185

I like this one for the number of times I end up in the Greater Detroit area. It's 1.5 miles east of the Ford Rd exit off of I-275 (exit 25)(the Ikea exit). It's medium sized and tucked away in the trees and a neat little suburban neighborhood. No city parks, but there is easy access to the neighborhood sidewalks. This is a cargo van stop. Straight trucks probably aren't welcome. They have the necessary amenities to include a nice little used book shop. Hardcover books for a dollar and paperbacks for a few cents.

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Re: westland, mi

Gonna jump in on your thread, say thanks for the suggestion

Allentown, PA Public Library

I actually had to pay to use the internet. But I got a 3 month membership at their library. Normally, I would be upset at having to pay but the price was right.

It was $2. I spend quite a bit of time at McDonald's but generally leave after an hour for the price of a $1 drink. So I didn't mind paying the $2. Plenty of couches and plenty of tables with plugs to work at.

On a sidenote, just found out Staples also has free hot spots (at least in this town).

edit: fyi parking only for cargo vans

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just north of Knoxville exit 112 off I-75 is Powell library. Very nice with great wifi.

Powell Branch Library
330 West Emory Road, Powell, TN 37849-4319, United States
Category:public Library

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: westland, mi

I like this one for the number of times I end up in the Greater Detroit area.

Why the term "Greater" when describing a cities Metro area, ie:Greater Detroit, Greater Chicago, etc. ?

Think turtle can tell us. :p

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Noob Tip / Reminder

Don't go to the downtown branch if your in a city. I did today in Des Moines, Ia and was quickly reminded of the cost of parking downtown. Luckily the north branch wasn't far and has free parking.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Noob Tip / Reminder

Don't go to the downtown branch if your in a city. I did today in Des Moines, Ia and was quickly reminded of the cost of parking downtown. Luckily the north branch wasn't far and has free parking.

Same deal in fort wayne

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thank you, EB, for all the research.
I've never met a library I didn't like, but almost consider them off limits since I upsized to a S/T - it's good to know where I can still find some. Especially the ones that sell books cheap. :D
The Strongsville, Oh library is one of those. [@ the intersection of US 42 & 82, behind the Police dept] There is a nice kid's park behind it, but nowhere for S/Ts to park.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Noob Tip / Reminder

That is a very good general rule. I usually scout the location first by pulling up a satellite image of the address. Even with the van I don't like confined spaces.

eb

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
hudson, wi

Home | Hudson Area Library

700 First Street
Hudson, WI 54016

Hudson is on the Wisconsin/Minnesota border just east of Minneapolis/St Paul. A T/A at I-94, exit 4, and a single entrance, 24-hour Walmart closer to the state line.

Medium sized library with the usual amenities. Light on table space next to electrical outlets, but it wasn't too busy to find a place to campout. Check satellite map for parking across the street next to the lake. It is a public park with trails, and the lot is posted--no trucks with trailers. And Cheri, they even have free books in the Friends of the Library store.

The window in the photo runs the length of the building overlooking the lake.

eb

Attachments

• hudsonlibrary.jpg
    hudsonlibrary.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 9

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Thank you, EB, for all the research.
I've never met a library I didn't like, but almost consider them off limits since I upsized to a S/T - it's good to know where I can still find some. Especially the ones that sell books cheap. :D
The Strongsville, Oh library is one of those. [@ the intersection of US 42 & 82, behind the Police dept] There is a nice kid's park behind it, but nowhere for S/Ts to park.
That library. I had to laugh. As soon as you mentioned it, I tried to picture it in relation to a straight truck. A straight truck showing up, they would think you were there to move the whole library.

And only one accessible electric outlet in the building. But they were friendly.

eb

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Oh, no. Cheri, I was confusing the Strongsville library with the Columbia Township library that is five miles to the west. Strongsville library is the nice one.

eb