Let's try this!

TeamBigMac

Active Expediter
Driver
Hi everyone! Me and wifey are company drivers with a trucking company (Werner). My wife would like to downsize our vehicle. We are both interested in sprinter (transit) van. I know that downsizing the vehicle will result in downsizing our wallet from what I've read... I'm trying to figure out how much. After all living expenses and van/fuel/all the bills/25% Uncle Sam. I'd like to bring home $1200+ a week but would prefer to be around $1500... I know there are many miles/rates/fuel combos to make the money happen. Just want to see if I am in the realm of possibilities or just being laughed at. So... let me have it ;)

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Very few people make that kind of money in a van nowadays. You will have weeks that you will make this, but I'd say most weeks you won't.

Have you thought about downsizing to a straight truck?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those figures after taxes might be tough. Some are doing it for sure but it isn't easy these days. The market is simply over saturated.

By the time you figure the yearly slow months, a little time off relaxing, time for repairs, Monday holidays clearing 60 grand or more is a hard goal. I'm not saying it can't be done but your probably gonna have to be in the top 10% to accomplish it. Being a team at the right carrier could help.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamBigMac

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think a team in a Sprinter could clear $1200+ a week on a fairly regular basis, depending on the carrier. A rookie team coming from truckload would have a learning curve to get through first.

TeamBigMac

Active Expediter
Driver
Flyingvan- we are considering both. We're a bigger fan of the van (because its smaller for her) due to I can handle the full range of repairs; maintenance to engine/trans/electrical And have a connection that can get me ford parts at a wholesale price, including maintenance items. Also no logs/weigh stations and can go more places accessiblility wise. Grocery stores and what not.

Xiggi-I would buy the van outright and those are the numbers I would hope to get. But I would test the water as a driver for someone else. How far off am I numbers am I. Just curious a weekly average of the "middle percentage" as an owner? Driver? I've looked at a lot of the larger carriers, who do you think is the right carrier(s) JW.

Moot- that's hopeful, what do you think about $1500? Any carrier suggestions?

Thank you all for you're advice!

TBM

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you and your wife are up to it, give it a shot.

But.....must(yep mandatory) have savings to cover atleast 6 months of bills and personal expenses.

You can reevaluate after 3-4 months to see if this fit both of you. If not, on the 4-5th month start working your way back to TT.

Good luck to both.

Reactions: TeamBigMac

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot- that's hopeful, what do you think about $1500? Any carrier suggestions?
Thank you all for you're advice!
TBM
$1500/week net is doable for an experienced team that stays in service for extended periods. First, the two of you must get your minds right. This is expedite, not truckload. Many people have difficulty making the transition. You also have to ditch the company driver/employee mentality and be willing to assume all the responsibilities of being an owner/operator. Once you get the expedite thing figured out you need to learn how to work your carrier's system to your advantage.

As for carriers, I've only been with two and one doesn't exist anymore. I do know that van teams at Panther keep busy. Most boards I land on, team vans are usually loaded out ahead of me. When you are at a truckstop, walk out to the clean side and talk with some van drivers, preferably teams from different companies.

TeamBigMac

Active Expediter
Driver
Mailer-we're going to go for it early next year. Spending the rest of this one building some cash to be as prepared as we can. I know TT is "easy money" at the moment, but that's not everything. But if Hingis did go south to hard, we could always go back if money ever became a problem. I'm not wealthy, but a plan for the worst mentality and 8 years in the auto industry have taught me a bit about money management. Gotta put money away in the good times for the bad.

Moot- we would be out normally for 30days or so at a time, longer if needed to avoid long deadheads home. While I understand what you mean by truckload I'm sure only experience can truly teach me about the expediters work life. That's a hopeful nugget about the teams, I don't really see too much team info from the van side on here. I've seen several vans at truck stops but not been able to talk to any teams yet, but the guys I talk to seem to like the lifestyle and seem content enough. A lot of people seem to really be happy with panther for the most part.

New question, i would be looking at a transit 148" extended swr 9500# gvwr. With teams... is keeping 10' of cargo logical or would having 12' make that much a difference on the 2vs3 skids argument. This may be my TT experience talking. But teams are good for running 24hrs so one would need to be sleeping. Is that even possible with 3skids (sleeping in a bed)? We both have hazmat and twic to help get more loads where we are. Do they really help at all with vans?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New question, i would be looking at a transit 148" extended swr 9500# gvwr. With teams... is keeping 10' of cargo logical or would having 12' make that much a difference on the 2vs3 skids argument. This may be my TT experience talking. But teams are good for running 24hrs so one would need to be sleeping. Is that even possible with 3skids (sleeping in a bed)?
I'm solo and give my carrier 120". I have a bed that runs crosswise behind the seats. A team could allow for 144" for freight and still have a bed provided the bed is high enough off the floor and the freight is low enough. This setup is a gamble and could result in the non-driver sleeping in the passenger seat.

We both have hazmat and twic to help get more loads where we are. Do they really help at all with vans?
Some carriers will load hazmat on a van and others don't. Panther will not load hazmat on a van.

Reactions: ntimevan