Let's Compare Phone Plans, Shall we?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I just switched from Verizon to TING. My wireless bill went down $57.00 a month. Services are roughly the same. They use the Sprint network so I am still hopping the coverage will be OK. Its only been 25 days. so it remains to be seen if the long run will be OK.https://ting.com/

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Verizon Carrier Discount Change - Panther

Sprint cell service is ok but their data speeds are horrible.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

I found in this businesses... you have to spend $$ to make $$... why cheap out on the 1 thing you MUST have...cell signal!! No signal =no loads...been with verizion for all but 6 months I have been expediting ...learned real quick and the importance of cell signal...and have never had a problem in 5 years of signal..so raise, lower price..like fuel ..what are you gonna do...and can not do the job with out it..

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I use T-Mobile, maybe their coverage isn't as good as Verizon's, but the price it is. Til last Monday I was paying $100/mo for everything unlimited. Since Monday I switched to their new family plan, which doesn't require a contract, so now I pay $90 for three lines, again everything unlimited (internet has only 500 MB 4G - after that becomes regular speed net). I pay 20 bux extra for unlimited 4G on my phone. The bad thing was that I had to buy new phones for my wife and son. But on long range I save a lot.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

you have to spend $$ to make $$... why cheap out on the 1 thing you MUST have...

Too bad this concept is being neglected in expediting :confused:

With my parole from Verizon coming close, I have been exploring other phone options. But I have yet to find anyone that I would trust more where my business is concerned. Bottom line is they have the best coverage and they know it. So unless something better does comes up, I may be looking to at least get an upgraded free phone from them for my next sentence :p

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I use T-Mobile, maybe their coverage isn't as good as Verizon's, but the price it is. Til last Monday I was paying $100/mo for everything unlimited. Since Monday I switched to their new family plan, which doesn't require a contract, so now I pay $90 for three lines, again everything unlimited (internet has only 500 MB 4G - after that becomes regular speed net). I pay 20 bux extra for unlimited 4G on my phone. The bad thing was that I had to buy new phones for my wife and son. But on long range I save a lot.

Maybe but missing one load because of no service can eat up that savings fast.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I've never heard a good thing about T-Mobile from people in our business that have tried them. That being said, they're all building towers and that could change. For now, my business means enough to me to spend a couple of extra bucks a month for decent coverage. I'll stick with Verizon.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Too bad this concept is being neglected in expediting :confused:

With my parole from Verizon coming close, I have been exploring other phone options. But I have yet to find anyone that I would trust more where my business is concerned. Bottom line is they have the best coverage and they know it. So unless something better does comes up, I may be looking to at least get an upgraded free phone from them for my next sentence :p

You do know that when your contract ends, you don't HAVE to renew it, right? You can just let it keep on going as it is from month to month. If you want a new phone at a subsidized price they'll make you sign a new two year contract, but you can keep you current phone or get one at full price without having to lock in to a new contract. That'd what I'm doing, in order to keep my unlimited data on the phone. When I want a new phone, I'll just get one at full price. Way cheaper over the course of two years versus having to pay for all the data I use.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I pay the big coin for my Verizon gold plated truck phone. My co-driver uses a Samsung Note 2 on a Net10 monthly plan. Her phone usually works as well as mine but the data is VERY SLOW if at all while mine always has fast data. I pay $100 a month while she pays $46 a month.

You get what you pay for!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good point OVM about Verizon contract. I may just do that as I am satisified with my current phone althought it's not very smart like this owner haha. With comments from others with different carriers, "usually works", "coverage isn't as good as Verizon's", "Services are roughly the same", "cell service is ok", sounds like too much of a gray area that I don't want to be in, and will stay with Verizon.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Maybe but missing one load because of no service can eat up that savings fast.

I missed calls when I had straight talk. They were using Sprint antennas...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good point OVM about Verizon contract. I may just do that as I am satisified with my current phone althought it's not very smart like this owner haha. With comments from others with different carriers, "usually works", "coverage isn't as good as Verizon's", "Services are roughly the same", "cell service is ok", sounds like too much of a gray area that I don't want to be in, and will stay with Verizon.

If I stated that Verizon has a better coverage than T-Mobile, it doesn't mean they're better. They cover some areas where we, the expediters, don't wait for a load. For example, would you stay somewhere between Van Horn, TX and Pecos, TX? I doubt you would... Another thing that I consider Verizon better than T is the 4G coverage, but that's an extra, not necessarily a must.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle, are you going to take that? I'd be outraged!! OUTRAGED!!!!!!
Naaa. I'd much rather people remember the information that helps them, than who it was who gave it to 'em. One is far more important than the other. :D

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Does any cell carrier really have service out in Pecos, TX? I only recall horses out there. And maybe an oil rig or two.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Ive got verizon and wouldnt have anything else. Ive got two cell phones and a home phone with verizon and I pay $105 a month. Now the home phone, I had that before I started doing this and I took the box and put it in my parents house and they can call me anytime with no charge.
I wouldnt do no contract. Buy it out right. You would come out better. On that home phone from verizon, if I did the two year contract, they would charge me $30 a month for two years. Thats $720, I just bought it and out the door I only paid $145.