let me know what you think? am I being screwed?

rucan

Seasoned Expediter
Got my first check from my company the other day and I found it a little disturbing.
My very first trip they paid me at a van rate. I am not a van. I have a 16-foot box truck and I am listed with the company as a truck. I don’t mind getting van rates on return trips because they help pay the fuel for the ride home. What was worst about this trip was that it was a split load and the second load going an additional 45 miles and they only paid $31.50 for that to get me there and back to my first drop point which was 90 miles return. As I looked through all the work I had done and what I was getting paid, a lot of the work was less then truck rate and higher then van rate.

I called the recruiter who put me on and talked I also talked to a couple of dispatchers about this and they told me that is just the way it is sometimes and they really don’t always know what we are getting paid before we go, only sometimes they do. This puts me in a bad spot, as I never know what I am getting paid.

The recruiter basically told me they don’t know the pay rate all the time and basically I shouldn’t ask, because at least I am still making money “and I shouldn’t stir the pot” as he put it. Then he told me that there are a couple of guys there who complain about getting different rates and they usually end up leaving or the company gets rid of them. And as he put it that it is stupid for owner operators to refuse trips over money because then we don’t work for three days.

So in a nutshell what I got is the rules are as follows:

1 we won’t tell you what the trip pays so don’t ask
2 you refuse a trip you won’t work for 3 days
3 you should accept what you get paid because at least you’re making some money

Is this the norm in this business or am I being taken advantage of because I am relatively new to this business?

Last edited:

rucan

Seasoned Expediter
Okay, I'll bite.

Is this company based in Fort Wayne, IN?

no its in southwestern ontario. I take it from your post there is a company like this in Fort Wayne? I just want to know if this is normal or am I getting screwed. I am new to the board and to the business for the most part and I think I am learning the hardway maybe?

bobwg

Expert Expediter
ok now I gotta know care to share the name of company? and if that one in Ft Wayne does the same thing would the name of that one be available?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

I would say as an Owner Operator - this is a one-way ticket to failure.

EO Nation all in unison... RUN!!!!!!

rucan

Seasoned Expediter
I would say as an Owner Operator - this is a one-way ticket to failure.

EO Nation all in unison... RUN!!!!!!

That is what I thought..My wife and I just looking at your post and she had been telling me this, that she thought there was something wrong.

I did talk to another company a couple of weeks ago and they told me they would pay me $1.10 per mile my end no commission no matter what the load pays them. Which is really better then what this current company gives me now.
But I am not sure if this is right or not? I know it is better then what I am getting now.

rucan

Seasoned Expediter
ok now I gotta know care to share the name of company? and if that one in Ft Wayne does the same thing would the name of that one be available?

I wont have a problem naming this company as I think this is benficial on these boards as it informs the members of what is going on out there and with what companies. But right now I am going to bite my lip for a couple of weeks Just in case they have a company member on here. I need somewhere to go first.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I called the recruiter who put me on and talked I also talked to a couple of dispatchers about this and they told me that is just the way it is sometimes and they really don’t always know what we are getting paid before we go, only sometimes they do. This puts me in a bad spot, as I never know what I am getting paid.

The recruiter basically told me they don’t know the pay rate all the time and basically I shouldn’t ask, because at least I am still making money “and I shouldn’t stir the pot” as he put it. Then he told me that there are a couple of guys there who complain about getting different rates and they usually end up leaving or the company gets rid of them. And as he put it that it is stupid for owner operators to refuse trips over money because then we don’t work for three days.

So in a nutshell what I got is the rules are as follows:

Is this the norm in this business or am I being taken advantage of because I am relatively new to this business?

How can you be expected to run your business if you don't know what the trip pays?

Were you told "no forced dispatch"? If you were then telling you you won't work is probably illegal

You shouldn't just accept anything, no matter how bad the economy is.

As far as getting paid a van rate. If it was a mistake and they fix it then that's fine. If they don't fix it then I would run from this company.
I have been paid a van rate "accidentally" by Ceva I am sure they have me in the computer as a straight truck. I call and they make an adjustment. This is why you should always go over every settlement with a fine tooth comb. Not that I don't trust them, but I know that they are human and make mistakes, hopefully not on purpose. This has happened to me three times since April.
Leave this company and let us know the name if it is allowable so no one else gets screwed.

rucan

Seasoned Expediter
How can you be expected to run your business if you don't know what the trip pays?

Were you told "no forced dispatch"? If you were then telling you you won't work is probably illegal

As far as getting paid a van rate. If it was a mistake and they fix it then that's fine. If they don't fix it then I would run from this company.

Leave this company and let us know the name if it is allowable so no one else gets screwed.

I don't know what "no forced dispatch"? is or means

the van rate is no mistake! their philosphy is that if there are no vans around and your next up then a van rate money is better then no money and they send you but don't tell you it is a van rate.

I am planning on leaving, as I hate not knowing what I am working for and what is really going on.

Tomorrow I have to drive 160 miles into the U.S.A and I know there is a good chance there will be nothing coming back as it is common for this to happen with this company. So I will make about $30-$40 after fuel and after the cross border tolls I have to pay. But if I say it is not worth it, one dispatcher will say "you never know you might get something coming back maybe mabye not"..If I say no then I don't get work for 3 days.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Most companies advertise "no forced dispatch" This means that you don't have to accept what they are offering you. If you have to take whatever they call you on then you have forced dispatch.
It depends on what you were told by your recruiter and what is in your contract.
As I said before if it is "no forced dispatch" and they are threatening you that you will sit if you don't take what they offer. I would say this is illegal. I am not a lawyer, this is just my opinion.
Does that $1.10 a mile include fuel surcharge?

rucan

Seasoned Expediter
Most companies advertise "no forced dispatch"
Does that $1.10 a mile include fuel surcharge?

I think they give you a little on top. the company I am with now gives you basically about $20 bucks for every 1000 loaded miles. Really lousy.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Hey rucan drop us a hint does that company advertise here on EO? ok maybe you better not give us that hint

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I think they give you a little on top. the company I am with now gives you basically about $20 bucks for every 1000 loaded miles. Really lousy.

Well, $1.10 for a straight truck isn't the worst pay, but it's not the best either. Kinda middle of the road.
FSC(fuel surcharge) will really help you out with the rising fuel costs

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
There is a small handful of us from Ontario Rucan. If you feel uncomfortable saying who you're signed on with, msg me and let me know. Between the handful of us, we might have some suggestions on where you might try to sign on, to better meet your needs.
Are you an owner/operator now or are you driving for an owner (as per a previous post)?
If you're thinking about switching, be sure to read your contract to see what charges might be levied for leaving before a certain time period.
There are pros and cons to giving any carrier a chance over time, but you wouldn't want to stay so long that it depletes your resources and makes you stuck and unable to make any change.

And as a PS, it's way different for us over here on this side of the bridge, no matter which company you're with, than you read about from most posters on here.

rucan

Seasoned Expediter
There is a small handful of us from Ontario Rucan. If you feel uncomfortable saying who you're signed on with, msg me and let me know. Between the handful of us, we might have some suggestions on where you might try to sign on, to better meet your needs.
Are you an owner/operator now or are you driving for an owner .

I am an o/o..

as far as my contract All I really have on there about leaving is that I have to give them 10 days notice before I leave.

I would appreciate any suggestions on who is better to work for in my area, as I really am not sure

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like you're getting hosed there. I've never heard of a carrier not being able to tell you what the load pays. The customer has to provide them with either a vehicle request or with pcs/wt/dims, so dispatch should at the very least be able to tell you if it is a cargo van or straight truck move.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
If you have to give them a 10 Day Notice I would do it, then Take a 10 Day "Vacation" and while on "Vacation" I would Find another Company!!