Length of straight trucks

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The measurement the youngguns is asking for can vary depending on the model of truck. With freightliners you can tell by the number that is generally listed with the truck specs. FL112 has 112" BBC dimension. BBC= Bumper to Back of Cab. Same as FL120 has 120" BBC (exactly as Moot described). Keep in mind that this "Back of Cab" dimension measured to the point where the back of the cab would be if it were not a sleeper truck. If you have FL120 with a 72" sleeper, you'll need to add those two numbers together to find out where the back of the sleeper is.

Amonger is correct in that, you can get a 24 ft box on an FL120 (most common) with a 72" sleeper and still be legal at 40' (not 45). It's a tight fit though. You won't have an inch to spare, but it's do-able.

Most people consider the 40' length to be max length simply because some states restrict you to that (as has been discussed already). You can't change the box length as you travel from state to state, so you just have to go with what will get you through all of 'em.

Correction: I added up the numbers (after I posted..sorry). The 120"+72"+24' (288") = exactly 40 ft. and you still need a little space between, the sleeper and the box (3-4" mimimum), so you'll need to do some exact measuring on the truck and the box to be sure before you commit to anything.

I do know a lot of trucks, including the one i just sold, are running 24' boxes on the 120"bbc+72" sleeper.

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I would like to see that in the regulations. I've never heard of a difference between single or tandem drives?

I don't know where it's found. The owner found it out when he was stretching them. He did it with several that ended up at 45'. One was a Volvo with a 77" sleeper and had more space between the box and back of the truck than the Century Class. They were all DOT inspected several times over their lives.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well your not getting a 45 foot straight truck into Ca, please read here

SINGLE UNIT LENGTH - BASIC LAW
35400. (a) "A vehicle may not exceed a length of 40 feet." A vehicle is defined in CVC Section 670 as: "...a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks." According to this definition, a vehicle includes a trailer being towed. (See diagram: "Single Vehicle")

Therefore go with 40 foot max

Vehicle Lengths

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks and does anyone know the length of a freightliner
Century class from the tip of the hood to the back of the cab?

Thank you Rocketman for your explanation! I don't know why Amonger introduced axles into the original question about cab length. I don't understand the reasoning behind a 3 axle straight truck being allowed an extra 5 feet of length over a 2 axle truck. It could be a specific state's law exempting intrastate haulers of agriculture products from a general 40' length law.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
:(DITTO.
Same reason you will never see F.M.C.S.A. shaking them down no matter how poorly maintained they are. Came across one that had the belt package showing on the right steer tire and I was told they dont have to pull into weigh stations. Hope he got it fixed for our safety anyway.
B.T.W. N.Y.C. in the five bouroughs is 35 ft. Sometimes enforced.

Here's a good reason why they need to cross the scales. This happened last Sunday, 17 yr old driver. Did anybody else find this appauling?;

Teen driver in Kansas crash has restricted license - US news

So if all 18 had their seatbelts on, it would have been perfectly legal? Looks like a Century class, air brakes, gauges, tread depth, etc etc, what would a 17 yr old know about all that? Kinda scary knowing we are on the road with this type of situation. Who in their right mind would put a 17 yr old behind the wheel with a bus full a vacationers on a cross country road trip? Like my 6 yr old grandson said "questions, I have questions".

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Not every LEO is a rocket scientist. In my early years I convinced an officer that the air leak he heard was the air leaking back into my air starter tank. I jumped in and started it before I lost too much air. I could believe an officer could miss the 40/45 length. I'd tend to think a truck inspected numerous times was close to 40'.if there was a loophole ES or Dave KC would have been all over it. They wouldn't miss an extra 25% capacity.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Love the sound of an air starter but they were a pain in the butt in Minnesota in the winter.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Was that DOT inspected by the local T/A or as a level 1 at a scales? That would be a significant difference.

Both. The annuals were done at varying places, the first of each by whoever stretched them, followups various places. Level one inspections done at various scalehouses across the country, probably including Cali. We went through there with them several times.

One time, there was an inexperienced team in one of them who got stopped at a scalehouse for being about 40# over on the steers. Must have been the Volvo. So to correct this and avoid the citation, they opened the sideboxes and extra equipment boxes mounted under the box and were carrying things back to the box. The scalehouse guys were watching and laughing. Of course they couldn't move enough of that little crap to move 40# off the steers. I told them, "Next time that happens, just go pay the $2 fine." I don't remember what state that was...and it was before CSA.

--

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Thank you Rocketman for your explanation! I don't know why Amonger introduced axles into the original question about cab length.

Because overall length was brought up and it was stated that straight trucks are limited to 40.

--

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Read your post #16 and the quote you used in it from youngguns.

Ok, so I clicked on a different message when I replied. Looks funny, but same info.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.