Length of straight trucks

Youngguns12

Active Expediter
CaN anyone tell me why a Otr straight truck has to be 40 feet long but a motor coach can
Be up to 75 feet? Thanks. I have not been around them enough to know and I want to learn
More then I know.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A good source of information about such things is the front pages of the Rand Mc'Nally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas. When you look at the weight and size limit table for straight trucks, you will see quite a variety of limits among the states, and even for certain highway types. Why do they vary? Because the laws and rules adopted by multiple jurisdictions vary (feds, states, municipalities and more). Sometimes they check with each other before setting a limit but not always. Thus we have the regulatory mish-mash that we have.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
maximum length on a motorcoach is 45' unless articulated. the articulated part is considered a trailer. And a bus with a trailer can not be longer than 60'

Youngguns12

Active Expediter
Ok thanks for the replys and yes I have seen a coach that was
75 feet long been awhile since I have seen it though.

Youngguns12

Active Expediter
Ok thanks for the replys and yes I have seen a coach that was
75 feet long been awhile since I have seen it though.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The longest coaches you'll see are 45', at least for legal use on highways. Not really sure why they can have five extra feet but probably AARP has good lobbyists and ATA doesn't really care about anything except unfair rules for tractors to hinder non-union tractor operators.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wonder if turning radius has anything to do with it most of the new 45s have a tag axle that steers opposite of the front when making a turn under 45mph. when they first came out with the 45s they were illegal in the state of CA. and a man named Jerry Calhoun who owns Entertainment Coaches of America out of leesburg FLa fought to have it changed after they impounded 6 coaches he had on lease to the Bon Jovi and his band

Youngguns12

Active Expediter
Thanks and does anyone know the length of a freightliner
Century class from the tip of the hood to the back of the cab?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

It shouldn't be to hard to look it up on the internet. My guess is 120" which is a very comon BBC for a standard conventional tractor.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the specs it should list the BBC. Like I said the most common BBC is 120". 128 to 132 or so for long noses. 112" BBC is common for day cabs used in LTL. These would have a doghouse protruding into the cab. What or why are you interested in the BBC dimension?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:(DITTO.
Same reason you will never see F.M.C.S.A. shaking them down no matter how poorly maintained they are. Came across one that had the belt package showing on the right steer tire and I was told they dont have to pull into weigh stations. Hope he got it fixed for our safety anyway.
B.T.W. N.Y.C. in the five bouroughs is 35 ft. Sometimes enforced.

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

You get 5 extra feet with 3 axles. So if you get the Century Class or any other (used to drive one as well as a couple class 8 Volvos stretched into straight trucks), if you have a dual axle, you can still get the 28' box.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You get 5 extra feet with 3 axles. So if you get the Century Class or any other (used to drive one as well as a couple class 8 Volvos stretched into straight trucks), if you have a dual axle, you can still get the 28' box.

What??????

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My 2012 Atlas shows 27 states that limit straight trucks to 40'. If you can limit your operation to a few states you'll have more options.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Yep. A straight truck with dual drives is allowed 5 more feet. Drove several like that.

--

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I mean a 24 foot box. That takes you to 45' behind a class 8 tractor with a 72" sleeper.

--