Leaving the truck for a van.

NHJay

Rookie Expediter
I have been in the big truck for a while and an owner operator for years and have become tired and worn out from it. I love life on the road but just can't deal with trucks anymore and that includes straight trucks which I have also driven for FedEx custom critical and panther. So I am planning on switching to vans. It's not a question of if, but rather when I do make the switch, I'm looking for suggestions on company, vehicle type, fuel type (although I'm pretty done dealing with diesel), rates, and any other useful info.

Again. This "IS" something I am doing so discouraging comments are not needed. This thread is to get me prepared. And yes I am also going through other threads and not relying solely on this one.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would look hard at the new Ford transit and the Ram promaster. I'm thinking bang for your buck right now is the promaster.

Your going to want to have three skid capacity so long and tall. Many people also go the cube van route but the mpg will be lowrr.

Last edited:

NHJay

Rookie Expediter
Also. Any and all pictures of how your vans are setup. Etracks. Sleeping areas. Power systems. Van sleeping vs hotel. Etc etc

JSudlow

Rookie Expediter
I have not expedited over the road to date. I did drive my Nissan High Roof Cargo Van over 2300 miles per week with my last business. Excellent quality vehicle that rides like a luxury liner. I suggest at least going on a test drive for comparison. I have not driven the models Xiggi suggested.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also. Any and all pictures of how your vans are setup. Etracks. Sleeping areas. Power systems. Van sleeping vs hotel. Etc etc

No way hotel sleeping would be affordable on a normal basis in van expediting. Check out the promaster build thread currently going on. Ebsprintin might come along he has a list a good threads to read.

Personally I would cross the Nissan off my list it's just to short there are better choices today. Nothing against those who drive them but you want the extra space for personal space at he very least

JSudlow

Rookie Expediter
Fair point Xiggi. My good friend is the top selling Nissan Commercial Van salesman in the country since the design was rolled out. I have told him that Nissan needs an extended version of the vehicle to appeal to other markets. I am under the impression that this design is in the future. I suggested just a test drive of it. Sometimes by driving a vehicle that may not be what you need, you find features that you didn't even think about that you will want in the vehicle you choose. I recently rented a Chrysler Town and Country for personal use. It was all that was left in the lot since it was almost closing time. I was astounded with the quality and design of the vehicle. So much so that I would consider buying one in the future! I really like driving Sprinters but would never buy one due to ridiculous repair costs.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
in sprinter van you would be able to put in 48'' sleeper and still carrie 3 pallets
also if you move spare tire you can put in gen set
also where do you live
is important to

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I would look hard at the new Ford transit and the Ram promaster. I'm thinking bang for your buck right now is the promaster.

Your going to want to have three skid capacity so long and tall. Many people also go the cube van route but the mpg will be lowrr.

Can you explain why the promaster is a better buy than the Transit? Thanks

NHJay

Rookie Expediter
in sprinter van you would be able to put in 48'' sleeper and still carrie 3 pallets
also if you move spare tire you can put in gen set
also where do you live
is important to

In my current truck my bed is 43" and the bunk is 64" I know it will be a step down in living space but im not happy in a big truck anymore. Every day the thought of driving this thing depresses me

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
You will be happier but with less money in your pocket. I totally understand you.But if your play your cards smart you will be ok.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Can you explain why the promaster is a better buy than the Transit? Thanks
We based our fleet on the Promaster because it is 500 lbs. lighter empty, can carry more payload, and is about 9" shorter (height), which all results in better MPG. The Promaster 3500 extended is (our opinion) the smallest big van that can realistically carry 3 skids. The load floor is much closer to the ground, making it easier to get into & out of. We order our Promasters without a passenger seat so we can place a refridgerator and microwave in its place. We also order the suspension seat for comfort as well.

The front of the Transit is more handsome though...

Others love the Transit but these are our well-reasoned thoughts.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have been in the big truck for a while and an owner operator for years and have become tired and worn out from it. I love life on the road but just can't deal with trucks anymore and that includes straight trucks which I have also driven for FedEx custom critical and panther. So I am planning on switching to vans. It's not a question of if, but rather when I do make the switch, I'm looking for suggestions on company, vehicle type, fuel type (although I'm pretty done dealing with diesel), rates, and any other useful info.

Again. This "IS" something I am doing so discouraging comments are not needed. This thread is to get me prepared. And yes I am also going through other threads and not relying solely on this one.

Are you afraid that someone will talk you out of getting into a van by making a negative comment? The debate between gas and diesel has shown many benefits to both as far as operating expense, fuel mileage, etc. There are also little things for diesel outside of that stuff including having points and showers automatically added to your card and "taking advantage" of how IN does their fuel tax.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use a Ford Transit Eco Boost,high roof extended length. Let me know of any questions that might help you. Couple of shots of my set up. Van is in shop now. I'm having skid rails/guides added.

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1424194948.482608.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1424194974.950579.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1424195002.118801.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1424195030.920863.jpg

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

NHJay

Rookie Expediter
I live in my truck as is. My only bills are my phone and storage. I had a place once but even when I was home I never went in my house. Not even to sleep.

DST001

Expert Expediter
Welcome to the van life! I used to drive semi also I got tired of the B.S regs too buy your own van less headache's dealing with the owner fixing stuff correctly and getting paid cut out the middleman hope this helps DST001

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Why didn't you install your bed on driver side wall? I would think you could use it even with a skid or two on the back end.

Negative. It's 76" long and when folded into bed position its 45" wide. When carrying a single skid I have them load through side door or push all the way forward. This way I can still use it. I would rather have the weight in that area anyway.

BXDIVER

Expert Expediter
Driver
The ford in high roof and extended is 10360 lbs
the ram is under 10000, this is what you want.
under 10000 lbs equals no log and scales.
hope this helps