layover spots

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Solo s/t operators especially, what do you consider the best and worst express centers (?) to layover in when waiting on the next dispatch? Thanks for any and all input.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can ask for a list of the top Express centers. I believe most recruiters can/will comply.

Also now that the cat is out of the bag on Terry O`Oconnel`s new position (see TeamCaffee post) you could PM him for this information.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Leo, you will get a zillion ideas on that one. We get out of Miami fast everytime we go there and lot's of people won't go near the place. We are a team with lots of "tickets" I.E. White Glove, "glow and blow" (radmat and explosives) reefer, TVAL (not right now, have to replace some equipment that got damaged during a load) etc. Nashville has been good. Been getting lots of offers from the Cleveland area. Hard part for us is finding good places to stay and still be close to a center. There is only on center in Arizonia, Phoenix. We get most of our runs out of Tuscon. Eloy is almost dead center between the two. We often stay there. Will hurt being that far out from Phoenix, but helps with the Tuscon stuff. I think every truck is different. What works for us most likely not for you. You are a solo? I don't remember. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought so, could not remember. Old age setting in. Lot's of stuff in Ohio, the NorthEast. Detroit still gets a lot of in and out Canadian stuff. Does not pay for us most of the time but for a solo they are pretty good. Ran a 25 mile run a few weeks back that went from Romulus to Dearborn, paid almost $500. Took about 1 1/2 hours for the entire job. layoutshooter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's one of the reasons for the change. I avoid within 100 miles of Detroit because all you'll get is the scraps from a Laredo to Canada load that someone who can't or won't go into Canada drove all the miles and money out of. If you are sitting in Romulus it may be no better than a mini and when all is said and done pay maybe $200 for half a day and eat your clock. If I'm going to start my clock I want it to pay better. I don't like the northeast. I've been there twice in the last 2 weeks and that's enough to hold me for a long time. Now, if the money is as much better as the short runs around Detroit I may change my mind.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Leo,was nice meeting you last week.As a solo, you want to stay east of the Mississippi river,actually east of Elk Grove Village Il.and west of Pittsburg,Pa.North of Cincinnati,and south of Pontiac Mi.This wll keep you relatively busy.A nust though,after you deliver,if you have hors to work,you must keep your C C informed,as the DVA computer will think you are out of hours.This system rally sucks for solos.You can do a short run,have plenty time to do another,but the DVA system wont show you available.Good luck,I know you will be ok,Running solo here can be frustraiting though.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I know our friends that are solos have to work the system more than we do as a team. We never worry about either putting ourselves at the gate or at the shipper and sleeping the night away on those types of loads. We also do not worry about our clock when we drive very far to a truck stop. I think as a solo you have to run a lot smarter than we do and so we will not be much help to Leo.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
LDB; I feel uneasy trying to give someone with your experience any advice, suggestion, or information, but here I go. I've had several months experience as a solo in a D Unit, and it's difficult. I'm out of Boston and the northeast is perhaps the best area of the country for a solo driver. Daily jobs 200 - 500 mile, most paying good money. Enough to keep me happy, but always looking for a long run which more than likely is a mistake. Taking a long run, usually offered on a Fri. pickup and Mon. dropoff pays well but leaves you stranded in a solo-unfriendly area and often several days sitting. Again, I have found the N.E. a good area to run, truckstops being infrequent. If I could make any suggestion to a solo driver it would be to purchase a small "C" unit, keep it as fuel efficient as possible and run it as cheaply as possible. Teams will move before a solo, usually so you need to expect that. I've gotten out of the "D" unit and turned it over to a team - because teams are the only real profitable way to run a S/T.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No reason to feel uneasy giving me or anyone else input. Anyone with any sense knows that longevity isn't the exclusive province of knowledge or worthwhile input. I can potentially learn from anyone here. I appreciate the thoughts about the n.e. I presumed it's the best area but I dislike it significantly. I've considered a smaller unit. Yours is quite interesting. You have a bulkhead giving a sleeper area I presume?