large fleet

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
How is it, that a certain "large fleet" at Fedex has so much favor? I understand they have lots of trucks on with the company, but what about everyone else out here? I don't understand how these companies they are signed on with, cannot see why they lose so many good teams because of the games played. The large fleet has their own dispatchers at Fedex (i know because at one time i worked for them and they told me straight out.) They said they have dispatchers who pick the freight by hand for them. Never thought this was fair when I worked there. Got every load we accepted, no matter what. Always got long loads too. Could be 10 people in front of you on the weekend, didn't matter. Never got stuck.

Left for better opportunity, and just don't see how this is a fair business practice? Now sitting and watching all the trucks leave, but never even seeing the offers come across. Just don't understand why these companies let them have such control. Is this why so many people are leaving?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is a bad business model. Seems carriers that give special deals to fleet owners of any size have forgotten where they come from. Didnt have mega fleet owners years ago. Maybe a few and the good old O/O. I dont agree with it at all and that is why my trucks are where they are !!!!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How is it, that a certain "large fleet" at Fedex has so much favor? I understand they have lots of trucks on with the company, but what about everyone else out here? I don't understand how these companies they are signed on with, cannot see why they lose so many good teams because of the games played. The large fleet has their own dispatchers at Fedex (i know because at one time i worked for them and they told me straight out.) They said they have dispatchers who pick the freight by hand for them. Never thought this was fair when I worked there. Got every load we accepted, no matter what. Always got long loads too. Could be 10 people in front of you on the weekend, didn't matter. Never got stuck.

Left for better opportunity, and just don't see how this is a fair business practice? Now sitting and watching all the trucks leave, but never even seeing the offers come across. Just don't understand why these companies let them have such control. Is this why so many people are leaving?

In many carriers eyes, both are disposable. The difference being it costs them more to replace fleet owners. Some will say it is because they have more invested. That is partially true, but the reality is that it also costs the carrier when a fleet moves out.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Could be why so many are leaving.. I do know for sure tho, the consensus on the street is that the entitled will be granted their due. Foregoing the paranoia syndrome we deal with every year (and write off as such) I have seen improprieties first hand. Having been a raving fan in the past, it saddens me to leave. One thing in life tho is that "Change is inevitable" don't like it but such is life.
It was a fun ride for a minute tho. Only good gig in town seems to be Load 1. Let us go to and re-live the dream with Big John!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
WHEW!!!!!!!!!! But our doors are always open for good operators. Our fleet owners have primarily all grown and become fleet owners working for us. We don't tend to chase the big fleets for a lot of the reasons stated above. That and we don't have "differing" pay plans for them. Nothing wrong with companies that do, it is their choice and I can understand their rationals for it. We just believe as a company the negatives of it outweigh the benefits.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Look into Active Motor Carrier they seem to be a great up and coming carrier and do what they say. The Active Aero Group company has been around for a long time and many carriers pull freight off their load board. They are looking for more owner operators and may have a fleet owner with a open truck. They talked about this very topic when we were in orientation and wont allow any employee to own equipment and they are a 100% O/O or Fleet owner which is great they don"t own any of the trucks in the fleet and dont offer special deals for the larger fleet owner.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sometimes that is just a front. Several times I have seen carriers say pay 1.20 per mile on the line haul, and add .10 cents on the backside. That is paid separately to the fleet owner.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Maybe that is the case and I have no way of knowing what any fleet does. But if that was the case would a large fleet not demand or expect the same type deal they were getting somewhere else? Why would they not add trucks where they were getting the best deal? Second if that was the case why would the other carriers keep up special programs for any fleet if that same fleet didn't get them elsewhere? Just my thoughts....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Maybe that is the case and I have no way of knowing what any fleet does. But if that was the case would a large fleet not demand or expect the same type deal they were getting somewhere else? Why would they not add trucks where they were getting the best deal? Second if that was the case why would the other carriers keep up special programs for any fleet if that same fleet didn't get them elsewhere? Just my thoughts....

B-i-n-g-o !

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
All my thoughts exactly. It doesn't seem like such a large fleet who claims so many discounts and gets bare bones trucks has as much to risk as the smaller fleet owners who's business depends on their trucks getting loads. They usually are the owners who don't get trucks in bulk with discounts, they pay their drivers better, and they have sacrificed to get where they are. They have their homes to lose, their livelihood. This large fleet makes so much money if they lose on one truck there's another making money to help. They don't break even. They also require you to make more money for then then some owners with a lot bigger truck notes and more at stake.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter

Since you brought it up do you offer a pay incentive for your large fleet owners to get them to come to your company vs loosing them to one that does your comment makes me wonder if you do? I happen to know first hand Active doesn't I would consider my self a friend now with one of the guys who helped set the program up if your curious call and find out for yourselves! A large fleet owner could try demanding but that also doesn't mean he will get it. Call and ask for Daryl Or Jim and they will tell you how the program works, show you numbers for trucks that owner/operators are producing and the O/O said it was ok to share. They pay all tolls, prepass, $10wk QC and mileage guarantee program and all miles paid minus the first 50 miles of DH. Ive worked for a lot of other companies and this seems to be a great one. But it may not be a good fit for everyone.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

Still glad you dont do it !!!!!!!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Since you brought it up do you offer a pay incentive for your large fleet owners to get them to come to your company vs loosing them to one that does your comment makes me wonder if you do? I happen to know first hand Active doesn't I would consider my self a friend now with one of the guys who helped set the program up if your curious call and find out for yourselves! A large fleet owner could try demanding but that also doesn't mean he will get it. Call and ask for Daryl Or Jim and they will tell you how the program works, show you numbers for trucks that owner/operators are producing and the O/O said it was ok to share. They pay all tolls, prepass, $10wk QC and mileage guarantee program and all miles paid minus the first 50 miles of DH. Ive worked for a lot of other companies and this seems to be a great one. But it may not be a good fit for everyone.

Everything is relevant. Probably depends on what that mileage guarantee consists of and what their line haul, DH, & FSC rate are.