##### Laredo, Tx

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
They tell me its a good run, They tell me no trucks down there now, They tell me I'll have no problem getting a load. Well get there, 6 truck in front of me - ALL TEAMS. Deliver and start to sit, check position next day now were 9th! Now its going on 48 hours and were upto 6th. Looked for a backhaul, all there is partial loads paying .15-.25/mile so thats not an option. Ugh this sucks, took a 1600 mile run to end up sitting for, at the current time, 3 days. What to do, what to do... BTW I work for Panther II.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Next time, ask how many are on their way there. Hard to believe six trucks were on their way when you accepted the load, but it could happen. How could you go from 6th to ninth? Unless three took minis from there... highly doubt it. Something stinks here, and it ain't Mexico.

I've seen stuff come out of Houston lately. If there aren't any trucks there, I'd start moving. If there is, stay in town. Things pick up toward the end of the week. I take it that you're a solo from your post. My advice... don't go to Laredo.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do your number 8 for 300 miles, which I'm sure you did, and see how many are in San Antonio. I don't remember if 300 will get you the Houston board or not. Also, call your transition contact even if you are over your 90 days. Sometimes they can find you something that backhaul doesn't see. I don't know how they do it but once in a while it happens. Ask them about Eagle Pass, McAllen and Brownsville too. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well 76 hours and counting... Tried everywhere for backhauls but no one wants to pay for even my fuel that or its 11 pallets - one more than I can carry, ##### 22 feet. Now thats going out 300 miles! I've talked to dispatch numerous times telling them I'm willing to deadhead that far and to look for loads out of San Anitino, Houston, Brownsville, Austin, etc. but between all those areas they've done maybe 50 loads in the last 21 days compared to 121 loads in 21 days in laredo - I dont see how... Well back to sitting with now growing migrane from the dust.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Three days. I'd give it till the end of the week. I don't doubt your only way out of there, as a solo, is to get a load on Fri delivering on Mon.

One thing I see a lot of ppl do is getting a load to BFE, and seeing dollar signs. When they get there, they think the load getting out will come right along and say "Hey... let's get outta here!" However, you have a dilemma. You're a single in a team location. Nothing is around you for 300 or more miles. You have a 650 mile limit. Average load out of Laredo, my guess, is 1000 miles. There's your problem.

If you wait till Friday, and nothing comes along, leave on your own. Then, you have two days to get to a single-freindly zone... Nashville, StLouis, or Kansas City. All three are at least 800 miles from Laredo. But sitting over a week is akin to suicide.

My beef here is with Panther. They KNOW sending a solo in there is crazy, yet they only care that the load is covered. I think they need to help you get out. They know how to get brokered loads. Have you called backhauls yet?

Let us know how things work out.

younglobo

Expert Expediter
MY new name for Texas is "Blackhole" you man get in but you will never get out, Loaded with good freight that is.

;-)

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well I forgot to mention in my last post that we are a team. They finnaly called and empty moved us to Memphis, Tn for $150, which doesnt cover fuel BUT they havent had a single load out of Laredo in a week n' half I was told. So now were sitting in Memphis trying to get a load to MN, just found out my Aunt passed away around 430am. And I was typing this they tried to give me a load to Rockwall at a reduced rate... sometimes I question dispatch but thier a lot better than a lot of other compaines I've worked for.

pantherii

Expert Expediter
>Well I forgot to mention in my last post that we are a team.
>They finnaly called and empty moved us to Memphis, Tn for
>$150, which doesnt cover fuel BUT they havent had a single
>load out of Laredo in a week n' half I was told.

your a team? We were told panther gets 5 loads a day out of laredo. You shouldnt have had to wait that long for a load, and then you get empty moved? ( come on your kidding right)
We got load offer on a tuesday in south carolina to laredo . drop off was wednesday. after drop we were 4th out 3rd team, next morning at 10am had load offer to brampton,on...maybe we were lucky?
last week was our best ever with pantherii 3800 loaded miles
pantherii is a great company and dispatch do a fine job!!!!

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
We got a load last Friday from Indianapolis to Laredo. Delivered Sunday morning and by that afternoon we had a load from Pharr TX to Nogales AZ, delivered there on Tuesday morning and wasnt 30 minutes we had a 1677 load from Douglas AZ to Mishawanka IN...dh'd from there to the TRUCK SHOW!!! Having a great time.

I agree Panther II is a great company to work for. MOST of the dispatchers are gr8....there ARE a few I would'nt give you a wooden nickle for.

Had we not got a load by Monday noon out of Laredo...we would move on toward McAllen, Los Indios, Brownsville...we usually get a load from one of them when we are sitting in Laredo.

If you sit...they gonna let you sit. So when a load does come available ...they have a truck there...we don't sit long...we found out if you start moving you will get something quicker. If we don't get satisfaction soon enough...I do a status change and put in #1..ready for a load, POP gets us one everytime!!!

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Thats crazy bro! Im a solo, and I beg my dispatchers to get me a load to Laredo, every chance I get! I sat for a couple days before, waiting for a load out, but usually not more than that, with the exception of the time I had a pickup the following morning, and it cancelled, so I ended up being there about 2 1/2 days.

Not sure what the problem is- my last load I took out of Laredo, was just a week and a half ago. They actually double loaded me for a drop off in Smyrna, TN and then up to Bowling Green, KY. Left on a Saturday, and it didnt have to be there till Monday- plenty of time.

Somebody pointed out that most of the loads going out of Laredo are 1600 miles plus- well, in the Smyrna, TN load, it was 1100 or less, cant remember at the moment. To be quite honest with you, just about every time I go down, I refuse a load going to TN or KY, simply because I want to get home, and that means going to Detroit. Never been stuck their over a weekend though.

In case you are wondering, I work as an owner operator for a company that has about 20 trucks leased to them. I run totally within the legal restraints of the HOS rules. Not sure if the small company thing means anything to others, but for me, I worked for two of the top 5 Expediting Companies in the midwest- and I could barely break even, until I hooked up with my present gig. Best thing I ever did!

WG

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I am pretty sure Conway Now has that area locked up...as a team we haven't had any trouble getting out this year.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Buy a reefer.Best bet for getting out of south Texas,in my experience.Never have to go further north then San Antonio.Yes,they are a pain in A** as they get older,but would never consider running without them.

uneasyexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
BTW I work for Panther II

you said it right there chief! you should have no probs. with loads out of Laredo, but yes you will sit...most likely at that Pilot for a day or so.

that is a problem though with Panther. other driver's take those mini-loads to get moved, and jump ahead of you on the board with a first out. stinks!!!

like another poster above stated, look into going to Eagle Pass, Del Rio, McAllen, Los Indios, Brownsville. when I was running i darn near always got something out of a border town that was a decent run.

good luck and when back in Laredo take that trip to "Boys Town" with Doc's Limo and check out Taco Tote, great food!

Bud Davis - Rhode Island's King Of Expedite

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
No way I'm parking at "Paylot". There's a decent Love's about 20 mi north in Encinal. No fear for safety, yet not far from town.

Robert

Seasoned Expediter
:) Hay'..iwas down thier in Jan 2002..
had' a good time',I was at Texas A&M (MTA )Trucking.
Did you'have a chance to'really' See The Town?..
Its fun people are decdent' to' me while I was in Texas
So'let me know Robert Roco
[email protected]:)

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Laredo has been berry berry good to me..only one long stay The very first forth of July weekend 4 days.. I know better now..I love it ..got me a little senorita, Go listen to live music, shoot pool at Cheers, Used to go cross the border and drink cheap beer. usually good loads in and out.