LapTops

D Green

Expert Expediter
OK, OK...I'm talking laptop computers!!! (*NOT* dancers) ;)

Seems my 3 yr old Toshiba has bit the dust. Hard drive crash, won't recover 'cause it can't read some file or other. So, I'm in the market for a new one.

I was not satisfied with the Toshiba. It didn't seem "tough" enough. Had problems with the screen wire connections from the first year. And XP Home?? I wouldn't wish that on a DOT cop. (HEY, I passed a level 1 at the Cheyenne Wyoming POE during truck week..got the pretty yellow sticker :+ )

Was wondering what you folks use, brand wise and OS wise. After the continual updates with XP, & the continual problems with virus, worms, etc, I am seriously considering an Apple/Mac. Never used one, but figger I can learn their system. Anyone have any experience here?

I am interested in all feedback, what worked & what didn't. Before I spend my money, this time.

Thanks Dennis

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Dell.

Anything Dell. Buy the extra warranties - they will pay for themselves.

That's all we use at EO. At least that is all we will be using from now on. Keep your virus program updated and you will be fine. Our Dell's are online all the time and if there is a problem Dell will send a tech over the next day.

It doesn't get any better then that.

Apple?

Our designer uses Apple - but a lot of our software is not compatible with our PC's.

Let us know what you decide on.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

D Green

Expert Expediter
Thanks Lawrence..that''s what I'm looking for, experience with the brand. I'm just old fashioned, I'd have to "order" the Dell, but I like to look & feel before I put my money down, but will investigate.

Rich, HP/Compaq is on my short list, as they are HQ'ed here, & I like to help the local economy (as long as the product is good)

Reason I was considering Apple, my wife worked for the local school district for 17 years, & all their office & student 'puters were Apple. They had good support. 'Course, if I bought 50 or 100, bet I could get good support, too..:)

G

I have an HP...well, i paid for an HP but it spends most of its time at the HP service center. Bought it last august and its been back 6 times so far.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
One of the many things I have done for a living was repairing laptops. My three favorites are as follows:

Apple Powerbook. Tough units, OS-X is dead simple to use and comes with *everything* the average computer user connected to the 'Net needs. However as Lawrence pointed out not all software titles will have a Mac version. So this depends on what you want to do with the laptop. Apple service is first rate.

As for PeeCee laptops I highly recommend the IBM ThinkPad line. IBM is very interested in keeping cutomers happy and does a great job with service in the event you need repairs which is not as often as many others.

Next Toshiba. I love Toshiba laptops. In fact this message is being typed on my 6 year old Satelitte 2590CDT. I am really surprised you are having problems with your Toshiba. (wanna sell it to me? ;)) Honestly I would put a new hard disk in it (they are not awful expensive) and install a sane operating system like Win98-SE if your hardware supports it.

Gateway used to make decent laptops but I have no recent experience with them so consider this data point as just that.

Now my AVOID list.

First up Sony. Junk they are. Fragile, expensive and near impossible to service. My nick name for the VIAO is 'Vile'.

Next, Dell. Weak junk. Too much plastic. I could with little effort twist the case on most Dell units. This is a very bad thing (see my copmments about connections below) While Dell has a great customer support system the headaches you will encounter with their laptops is not worth it IMHO. I had to send back more than half the Dell's we bought when I was assigned to the Maryland Department of Transportation. Evil. Avoid. (Sorry Lawrence. Their Desktops are decent enough though)

Also avoid HP, Compaq and all the no-name units. Just not worth the headaches. Hard to get serviced and harder to get parts for.

Couple of points to remember about laptops. These are by their design portable which means they will *never* last as long as a home PeeCee will. They are subject to all sorts of torture by being carried about all the time, by riding in vehicles that bounce and viberate and such, by opening and closing the lids frequently, by rough handling, and by wide changes in temperature. The main failure on all portable computers revolves around connections between components like the main board and the screen (most common issue). More than 50% of the laptops that have come across my work table had problems related to this and required little more than disassembly and reconnection of the loose bits.

You are going to hear all sorts of opinions and experiences relating to laptops. My opinions are after years of experience (kinda like the old hands here on EO are to Expediting).

I hope I have been of help. Sorry for the loooong post. I'll happily answer any questions I can.

Just for the record in my opinion Windows XP is garbage and my next laptop will be a 15" Apple G4 Powerbook.

--
Mike N

D Green

Expert Expediter
Thanks, TWM for the info. I have not checked into repairing the Toshiba, but might. I only use it to check load boards when on the road, read forums, some book keeping (use a Lotus spreadsheet) that is transferred to desktop & paper when I get home. I can do without it, but it is nice to have.

For the record, it's a Satellite 1005-S157. 15 gb drive. Wife says I have had it longer than 3 yrs, but I can't find the purchase records.

Local computer superstore, Micro Center, has an I-book on sale. What's the difference from the Powerbook? Do they support WiFi? I have had several techs recommend the ThinkPad, but have not looked at one, yet.

I'm not in a hurry to spend so much money, but the wife is. She hates watching the load boards when I'm out of town. She hates "dickering" with the brokers.:)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here is another thought I wiil throw into the mix.David Lawrence XM computer Guru says one of the advantages to the MAC is that few virus writers are attacking the MAC.Makes me think maybe my next computer will be a MAC. I presently have a Gateway.It has been pretty good. I bought it mainly because they had a local store for service problems.Now that they have closed all of their stores,I will look elsewhere for my next unit.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would go with a Gateway or Dell. While Toshiba is so-so, they do have in store service if it is something small. In store service is at BestBuy. Not sure on Gateway now since stores closed. I think BB will work on a HP also, but not sure.

D Green

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I'm definitely looking at the service aspect of the new ones. I've purchased all my desktops, in years past, at the Houston MicroCenter store, for that reason. If they sell it, they repair it. I bought the Toshiba at Office Depot, on sale for $200 less, but getting service is hard to do. (finding time & place, etc.) But, MicroCenter does not sell IBM computers. Some problem with them servicing the units, so they refuse to sell 'em. So, for the Thinkpad, I'll look at the B'Buy stores, & others.

Gotta run, loaded for Pass Christian, Ms, back later tomorrow.

Thanks, keep them opinions coming...

D Green

Expert Expediter
Trump, that's a neat link, & it will direct you to their "new" laptop page, also. Lot's of info there on manufacturers. They had a Mil-spec Panasonic? with metal case & shock absorbing HD. Only $3500. (Whew) The used ones that I looked at there had decent prices, but I don't know if they will run the new WiFi/cellular modems. Plus, the included modems were kinda slow, but then, that's easy enough & cheap enough to change out. I liked the aspect that most were still Win98se. I've had less trouble with that OS than the newer ones.

On the way home this afternoon, heard on the tech news blurb, HP/Compaq is recalling 900,000 laptops, made since 2002. Some problem in the hardware (board?)that can cause freeze-ups, blue death screen, unwanted re-boots. Recall notice is supposed to be on their homepage.

Since I'm outa hours :) and really need a day off, I'm gonna try to check out some LT's tomorrow.

trump

Expert Expediter
What about buying a laptop at one of the police auctions. I see where they have auctions for stolen goods not recovered. Would this be a good idea ?