Laptop/DVD

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Last week I finally sprang for a laptop. Tried to buy a Dell but the phone call went to India and I could understand one word in five,so I bought a HP system with some bells and whistles. It has the capabililty to load a dvd in it and watch a movie. My question is ,if you watch a movie in the sleeper with the truck moving and bouncing will the laptop drive gets messed up.
Also any advice on wifi systems will be appreciated, are there free hot spots etc.I know the truck stops all are set up for WiFi but I was curious about the cost.I would probably like to pay as you go basis rather then locking in a monthly fee. I have heard about Sprint offering coverage anywhere on their network and also T Mobile but the cost seemed high.Thanks in advance.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I am no brain on this subject but I have a freind that is a wiz on anything computers. In a day or two if you do not have the answers you are looking for, let me know and I will put you intouch with him

raceman

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I hear you on the salesman on the Dell issue! If you go Wi-Fi it is a different charge per hour, monthly, and a yearly fee. The down side it is my understanding that you are locked into Flying J's, T/A's, or Petro/Pilot subscription. How about unlimited internet usage from T-mobile for less than 30.00 dollars a month? Sounds like a bargain to me? I would mount or only use your new laptop on a block of foam or pillow like unit. When in storage be sure to put it back in the case. You can't be too careful with your new toy. You bought a great unit and it will last for years. Have fun and start surfing.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My question is ,if you watch a movie in the
>sleeper with the truck moving and bouncing will the laptop
>drive gets messed up.

Yes, it could get messed up that way. Or it might do just fine. If you are watching a DVD movie, note that your hard drive will be running too. That is more fragile and critical than the DVD drive.

We've been running an HP laptop in trucks for over a year and it's still plugging along. But we also bought an extended service plan when we bought the computer. We bought it from CompUSA which has stores and repair facilities nationwide. As a former computer consultant, I'm fully capable of diagnosing and repairing my laptop. But I bought a service plan because I fully expect the computer to crap out on me in relatively short order. The service plan gets me a replacement computer fairly easily and inexpensively.

Laptops are made for office people that take their work home with them and fly on airplanes and connect to the Internet from hotels. A truck is a much harsher environment. In addition to the vibration you mentioned, there are temperature extremes. When you are out of the truck (no heating or air conditioning, engine off) and the computer is in, Arizona summers and Minnesota winters put consumer electronics it to the test.

If using your computer while the truck is in motion, place it on a lap desk that you can buy at any office supply store. That puts the computer on a hard, flat surface, which is important for air flow and cooling. Then place the desk on a pillow and the pillow on your lap or the bed, or wherever you want it to sit as you watch your movie.

>Also any advice on wifi systems will be appreciated, are
>there free hot spots etc.I know the truck stops all are set
>up for WiFi but I was curious about the cost.I would
>probably like to pay as you go basis rather then locking in
>a monthly fee. I have heard about Sprint offering coverage
>anywhere on their network and also T Mobile but the cost
>seemed high.Thanks in advance.

Wi-Fi is fine if you want to go to truck stops or hunt down hot spots to get on the Internet. We favor the cellular access you refer to. It costs us $80 a month for unlimited access. At this moment I'm sitting in the truck behind a shopping mall as we wait for Dallas rush hour traffic to clear, and I'm on line. At other times, I've been on line for hours at a time as we drive down the Interstate. That's well worth the money.

I can't say for sure, it may be even cheaper than truck stop plans if you are on line a lot.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We use to have sprint but it was really slow. Currently using flying j wi-fi. Seems to work pretty good. They have updated alot of the cellular stuff so it might be better now. $30.00 unlimited sounds pretty good. What company is that?
Davekc