Landstar

truckwife

Expert Expediter
Does anyone here work for Landstar or know about this company? Were o/o,husband/wife team and have a straight truck. We are looking at maybe giving Landstar a try. We are presently with an expediting company for 3yrs. Would like to know how their system works. How are teams doing in straight trucks? Any and all info will be appreciated. Thanks

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
JohnO is presently with LEA and is doing well...maybe you could PM him or he'll post here.

One thing I do know is you better be squeeky clean...they are very fussy who drives with there name on.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
I was with them for just under a year. It was actually pretty neat. I miss them and i'm kinda thinking about going back. They have a lot of neat drivers program's. But the system is different...in some way's very different. I strongly recomend having a mentor. I don't know if JohnO would be up for that or not, but that would be my suggestion. Thier rates are excellent, and vary on different load's. Most of the people there are super nice. I had one problem with an agent out in PA. We just did'nt see eye to eye. You'll have 50 or 60 agent's to get to know, and that's the tough part. But you'll be asigned a coordinator to help with that. You do have to be squeeky clean though. And hazmat and Canadian,(fastpass,)aproval are mandatory, Although there are no refusal penalty's, so you don't "have" to go to Canada. They have a nice comdata card that can be used at the ATM. You can have your check direct deposited or just loaded on your card. They will advance you 35% at pick up. Again, i'm serious about the mentor thing though.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I've been driving a 22' dry box with liftgate and tag axle since January and couldn't be happier. I was a driver for O/O with FedEx for a year before deciding to buy my own used truck.

Grog's information was right on the money so feel free to send PM for more information.

Being a husband wife team would be an asset as many units are singles.

Being leased on with Landstar is very similar to having your own authority as they give you tremendous latitude in how you work, where you work and how often you work. Some work 4 months a year while other’s stay in service 10 months or more.

Currently I’m in Las Vegas waiting to pick up load Monday AM so I visited truck show last few days and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Sorry I didn’t get to meet Mr Goodtube while they were in town.

Each day Landstar rented a large meeting room in convention center supplying catered lunch for all leased to Landstar. After lunch they had a safety meeting and then a drawing. Friday I won a set of Bridgestone steer tires today I won luggage needless to say I enjoyed myself.

Good Luck.

truckwife

Expert Expediter
>stop braggin about the tires.........................

thanks for all the info on landstar.johno we would love to talk and get more info on landstar before we make the jump.i know that you are very busy,but if you get a free moment and dont care,our cell#731-614-6582.email address is randyhart22@hotmailcom. thanks pamela/randyhart

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
OMG. This is the real newbee leading someone who's been around three years?? IF, you are doing well with your present Carrier, WHY, look? Having typed that, IF I are an adult, and, want to work with a big name, that would be the place for me.

KYoung

Expert Expediter
We have been with LEAM for almost 4 yrs, and love it. Greg said a lot of good stuff, however I didn't know fastpass for Canada was Mandatory, I don't have it and I haven't met any Landstar Drivers that do, and most of us refuse to go to Canada. If your a team I would Highly recommend going AA&E, it gives you more load options. Yes we have over 60 agents that can call us, but I only know about 12 agents, and only have about 6 in my phone. The agents track us and know where we all are so if they need us they call or send load offers over the Qualcomm.

Negative of LEAM They leave us alone, and let us work the way we want to. If you need someone to hold your hand and tell you everything to do, or how then Landstar won't be for you.

Ken
LEAM 4474

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>
>Each day Landstar rented a large meeting room in convention
>center supplying catered lunch for all leased to Landstar.
>After lunch they had a safety meeting and then a drawing.
>Friday I won a set of Bridgestone steer tires today I won
>luggage needless to say I enjoyed myself.
>

Maybe they figure that a new set of steer tires and luggage will keep you out longer! ;)

Rex

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have oftern wondered what happens if you have a delay or breakdown in the middle of the night. Can you call the agent who is probably sleeping or is there a central location to call who can alert the customer. Also do you get penalized if you miss an appointment?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Rich, How in the world can you miss an appointment, if, YOU'VE made a committment?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
UP SARGE, Forgive me My Colonel. LOL Appointments are never missed.,
Larry are you coming to the Expo this year/ Would like to meet up and maybe discuss some joint business..

RichM
Ex US Army Grunt.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Rex,

Just could be the reason.

Been out since March so a visit back to see the grand kids is near. The luggage will allow me to take more gifts and treats while the tires are available for a year.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
FYI landstar is a SAFTY FIRST company and they are very commited to that fact, to the point that they audit your logs off of the QC and they BETTER match to the Tee

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Rich,

There is a central office manned 24/7 for emergencies.

No aware of any penalty system in place.

Mind you if it isn't a valid reason the agent may not call you for future loads unless you’re the only unit within range.

Central office, shipper or consignee should be notified about situation after normal working hours.

On a load from NJ to Buffalo area I repeatedly ran into whiteout conditions on one update call to consignee he advised me to hang it up until storm passed in morning

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

Did I mention mounting and balancing are included with the gift certificate for BRAND NEW FULL SET OF BRIDSTONE STEER TIRES?:)

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
rich, if you are late because of a reason beyond your control and you either let the agent know or LHQ then it is not a service failure, however if it is your fault then of course it is a service failure and I have seen where the O/o eats the entire load and it wouldn't be too many times that you screw up that they will pull your contract!

KYoung

Expert Expediter
The audits against QC is only for the fuel stops, however they have been sending us letters saying that my wife's logs don't match the QC when she is in the sleeper. We've received the letters stating that her logs don't match every hour with the QC, the thing is we weren't even in the area where the QC said we were, its basically a joke. I hope to get to Rockford during appreciate days and ask the bigshots about it.

Landstar is safety oriented though, your safety is priority one. If you refuse a load because your tired or whatever they don't penalize you. A couple months ago we accepted a load and head to Savannah GA to get it, pick up was to be Saturday and had to deliver straight through. My wife came down with the flu over night and couldn't drive, called the agent and LHQ and told them what was going on, no problem, they got someone else to run the load. I drove up to Jackson GA for Idle aire. Good thing cause that night I came down with the flu too, we slept from Sat tell Monday morn. Didn't go into service until Tuesday morn and got a load that afternoon.

HAve we delivered late, hmmm, yep. Called the agent told them we were running late, they called the customer and told them and rescheduled a delivery time. Never more then an hour later though, penalty, none.

Ken
LEAM 4474