Landstar

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I've been thinking about making a change. Could anyone give me some information about Landstar. I really like the company I'm working with now except I'm not getting the miles I need. I don't want to give up the good working relationship for little or no gain.:9

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
TJ..If you do decide to change companys you will do fine at Landstar. I was with the company for 5 years and always achieved my goals! If you really want to work, commit yourself to being out there on the road for more than a week at a time like some drivers think they can get away with you will make it! They have the freight, you make the choice where and what you do! You want to sit in Truck Stops thats up to you. It may take a little while for you to get use to using there agent network, but there system works! Best of luck and keep us posted what you decide!

CB

Expert Expediter
Better find another place to go. Landstar is not what it used to be.They have about 4 trucks for every load of freight and are still leasing on. Trucks are averaging 2 loads a week.:(

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
TJ959,

Landstar Express America has an outstanding record in this industry. They seem to be very owner operator oriented. But like anything - they are not for everyone, do your homework.

May I suggest that you plan to spend a day or two at the Expedite Expo 2004 in Woodhaven, MI?

Register here:

http://www.expediteexpo.com/2004/index.html

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Lawrence has the best solution going. Attend the Expo and talk to as many companies as you can, and their drivers. Strong emphasis on the latter. CB had indicated they changed his contract on three occasions. If that indeed is true, some legal advise may be advised. I don't think it would be in Landstar's interest or the drivers to constantly lower percentages in a contract.
For class action lawsuits that are pending against Landstar and other companies, you can visit www.ooida.com
The suit claims that Landstar skimmed money from drivers in numerous ways. According to ooida, they are fuel overcharges, and overcharges relating to Comdata. If memory serves me correctly, the case is suppose to go to some kind of arbritration. Anyway, you can read the legal information and draw your own conclusions.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been in expediting almost 18 years.This time has been spent with Roberts Express and of course FDXCC. Today I spent some time with a LEA guy in South Carolina and he showed me what he had earned over the last 7 days.This was on his Qualcom so there was no BS about it. If I had a truck that was not as old as mine I would switch,Nuff said.

CB

Expert Expediter
TJ
Here are some questions for you to ask some landstar express drivers if you talk to some. Ask how many times lea has changed their rates on percentage the truck gets from sister company loads in the last 9 months.You are going to find it went from 73% to 68% and now is at 68% of 80%. Ask them how many loads a week they avg. And ask them what they are making average with the fsc per mile. I've been here for 9 months up until 2 weeks ago i'm averaging $1800.00 a week gross. I rarely take any time off. If you don't have a truck payment and can afford to sit for 2 or 3 days at a time this is the place for you. As for RichM going to change companies based on what a person makes for one week out of a yr...well u be the judge of that.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Perhaps I posted it wrong,there is no way that I would make a major decision in my life based on one drivers experience and one week of revenue.

mss1963

Expert Expediter
OPINON OF LEA,BEEN HERE 10MTHS CHANGED CONTRACT 3TIMES,WITH ALL THE TRUCKS THEY HAVE THERE ARE 2-3 LOADS FOR EVERY 5TRUCKS,IF YOU LIKE TO
SIT AROUND FOR 2-3 DAYS WAITING ON A LOAD THATS YOUR CHOICE.UP UNTIL 2MTHS AGO WAS AVERAGING $2100 A WEEK NOW AROUND $1700 A WEEK,THEY HAVE MORE TRUCKS THAN FREIGHT,CHANGED %RATES WITH SISTER COMPANIES SO IF YOU WANT TO HAUL SISTER COMPANY FREIGHT FOR .80A MILE YOU AND STARVE YOU BE THE JUDGE,I WOULD THINK IT OVER SERIOUSLY BE DECEIDING ON LEASING ON WITH THEM,YOU CAN REPLY TO ME AND I WILL PRODUCE STATEMENTS,TO SHOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I hope people are getting the message to educate themselves as much as possible before signing on with a company. Keep in mind also that who was good last year, may not be this year. Look for consistancy. With a broker based company it would seem there are more challenges as you have to develop relationships with all these brokers. If it doesn't pay any more than any other company, why waste your time and huge amounts of cell phone time chasing loads and kissing up to agents? As referenced, one is not utilizing their resources if they are chasing .80 per mile loads. Since some folks have a negative opinion, maybe we can find some drivers at Landstar that have had a more positive experience.
I always take the wife's advise here "trucking is a business, not a marriage"

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Wow, I went out for a few days and all of a sudden here's all these answers. I have to tell you, they sure have been a disappointment so far. I decided to sign up and they can't even get back to me to run the paperwork. I'd like to wait for expo but I'm going in the hole where I am. Now I don't know what to do.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It sounds like you are starting to get into a situation. Consider that you are still making some money even though it may not be enough. If a company is not responding to you then research someone else. I am assuming that you cash reserves are not to deep. For that reason, tread carefully so you don't get into a situation were you are going from company to company. That can turn out to be very expensive if you are not careful. While it seems your time is limited, do as much research as you can before changing to another company.
Best of Luck
Davekc

sandra50

Expert Expediter
stay away from panther i just did a 2153 mile run then they wanted me to empty move 2000 miles for 250.00 with fuel prices and giving the owner 42 percent what have you made so i quit

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If they request you to move 2000 miles via the QC, I would not have accepted it. Even from the west coast, I would not DH back 2000 miles. At a bare minumum you could have found a broker load. If you are buying the fuel, why would the owner get such a high percentage of your DH pay? I wouldn't have quit Panther, just the owner. Remember, what comes across the QC is a suggested move only. We accept only a small percentage of those requests.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
2000 mile relocation move and you did it?

That's not the carriers fault - it's your own. Say "no". It would be worth it to take a brokered load just like DaveKC said.

What size of truck are you running? If you are in cargo van - well that may have been the best deal that you could get, on the other hand if you were in a D or E - you could have loaded with a broker load for sure.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You either have to go through brokers that your carrier has a relationship with, or obtain your own operating authority.
Davekc

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most LEA drivers do quite well- they have lots of decent runs that pay better than most carriers, and can be done legally! More general freight than most- too hard to categorize. Someone tell me how much Panther drivers make on all that cheap NLM frt? How about all that time waiting to get unloaded at an auto plant on runs that can't be done legally. What about all the spot-bidding for D units at .80 mile or less? No thanks- rather DH to area of better frt or less trucks.
One has to compute his bottom-line $$ per total miles traveled. If you make 80-90 Cents against all miles, you are doing well. Fuel prices kill us all right now- every time I run the motor to stay cool, I can lose at least 1 mpg.
Sister freight? who else has loads you can get to move you out of MSP? or OK. City? or Fargo? It has been made cheaper- no doubt: slow summer doldrums and less frt overall. Too many trucks- probably right now. ALL CARRIERS ARE PRONE TO OVERLOAD TRUCKS- RIGHT?
LEA would be wise not to destroy a good relationship with Ranger/Inway- because just like other carriers- O/O's will vote with their feet... right or wrong. I have changed decals more than once (try TSES, Express 1, FCES) MY ADVICE: IF MAKING ENDS MEET, CONSIDER EVERYTHING.
P.S. you sit, you lose. Don't take the load that sends you to FL, and then wait for 2 days waiting for the phone to ring...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are misinformed if you think a D unit at Panther is running for .80 cents per mile. Depending on your contract, you are running that freight for 1.20 or 1.35 plus whatever that fuel charge is. Fuel surcharge is in the range of .05 to .15 cents per mile.
Then again, maybe I am running the cheap freight at these rates, although I doubt it. And these rates are in general for auto freight only. Other freight either pays better surcharge or it is a special services load.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
WE HAVE BEEN WITH LANDSTAR ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF NOW. AND WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT HERE. I'VE ONLY BEEN IN THE BUSINESS FOR SIX YEARS NOW. AND BY NO MEANS DO I CONSIDER MYSELF A EXPERT. I WAS AT PANTHER AND I WAS AT TRI-STATE. AND I HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THEM. BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT LANDSTAR DOES HAVE SOME VERY GOOD PAYING FREIGHT. LANDSTAR IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER COMPANIES. THERE IS NO ONE HERE TO HOLD YOUR HAND. YOU HAVE TO BE A TRUE BUSINESS PERSON TO HAVE SUCCESS HERE. THERE ARE NO DISPATCHERS,BOARD POSITIONS ETC. YOU HAVE TO ESTABLISH YOUR CONTACTS TO BE SUCCESSFUL. AND LEARN THE SYSTEM. YOU HAVE 100% CONTROL OF YOUR BUSINESS HERE. ALL I CAN SAY IS ITS NOT COMPANY THAT IS SUITED FOR EVERYONE. BUT I LIKE IT HEAR. TALK TO MORE THAN ONE DRIVER. NO MATTER WHERE YOU WORK. YOU WILL HAVE A BAD WEEK NOW AND THEN.