Landstar info please

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Agents will call and tell you about a load, the BCO will accept and then be asked to wait 15 minutes while the agent books the load. In the meantime another agent will call with another load that the BCO can not accept because he committed to the first load. The first load falls through so the BCO calls agent number two. That load has already been covered and the BCO has now missed out on two loads. The agents do not already own all the loads they call about. Some of them work the bid boards and call to make sure they will have a truck available before they bid. We had 23 load offers in a 2.5 day period. We accepted 18 and didn't get any.

This shows how much driver (team) experiences can vary within the Landstar system. It has never happened to Diane and me that we lost out on two loads in the manner described above. To receive a total of 23 load offers (different than load announcements), we'd have to wait more like two weeks to a month than 2.5 days.

Another difference:

When an agent calls to see if we are available and then asks us to wait so he or she can talk more with the customer, we agree to wait but we do not "accept" the load or commit to it. We promise the first agent that if a second agent calls with another load, we will not accept the second offer without first checking back with the first agent.

This does not happen often but it does happen. When it does, the second agent has always been understanding and willing to wait too. When two offers are pending, all open items with both agents can be wrapped up in a few minutes in a way that leaves all parties feeling that they were fairly treated.

This is not something taught in orentation or learned instantly. It is something we figured out after fielding several load-offer calls.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We run Landstar loads quite a bit and have found the agents to be professional and a step above most brokers with the exception of one time. If I left my current carrier Landstar would be on my short list because I like the business model. I don't need or want a babysitter running my business and controlling my livelihood. I am confident in my ability to find, bid, and book loads so I don't want it narrowed down to what 1 dispatcher decides to offer when they feel like working. I also feel that I can perform well above industry average when it comes to the job and service so I think I could work my way in with the better agents.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I ran a few landstar o/d loads and the only problem I had was the fact they do a wake up call when trying to sleep to find status of load. One time they called me when at home to ask if I was going to deliver a load I delivered 3 days before and they sent me confirmation of receiving faxed pod. Wife wasnt real happy about that since we were at the movies for date night.

Aside from that they were always polite and certain agents called to see if I was in the area for one of their high Val military equipment loads. Once I deadheaded 400 miles to go 200 loaded and they paid my bosses rate on all miles.

Like Paul if I were to leave where I'm at landstar would be on the list of prospect companies.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have never received a wake up call but I did get a call once to see when I was picking up after I used the automated telephone system hours prior to say I was loaded. After that I just called the agents directly with status updates and never had a problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app