Landstar for Solos

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all,

Last thread for Lanstar was back in FEB09, so not much info to go on, especially current.

Any Solo BCO's on EO that care to share, or ex-BCO's regarding ST's and/or T/T's.

I'm familiar with the system, but am very outdated by about 7 years now, and alot has happened in these past 7 years.

My interest lies with Express America as a SOLO only, not Inway or Ranger. Seeking BCO info, already spoken with recruiting about a month ago.

Can a ST pull from the LTL board as well??

Any Info is appreciated.

Thx
A-Rex

Update: Something I totally forgot to ask the recruiter...does Express America use T/T's??

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I think BCO's are the Landstar name for agents?

If so, I am good freinds with Mark Mclochlin. Mark owns Clearwater Logistics in Indiana and is an agent for Landstar. We do a good bit of business back and forth and he is a great guy. Mark is also the current president of TEANA.

574 252 0440.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey all,

Last thread for Lanstar was back in FEB09, so not much info to go on, especially current.

That's because we are all working.

Any Solo BCO's on EO that care to share, or ex-BCO's regarding ST's and/or T/T's.

Yep.

I'm familiar with the system, but am very outdated by about 7 years now, and alot has happened in these past 7 years.

Not much has changed, most of it seems to be with the truck search board.

My interest lies with Express America as a SOLO only, not Inway or Ranger. Seeking BCO info, already spoken with recruiting about a month ago.

Well I wouldn't just look at LEAM, but Ranger too. Depending on what you intend to drive.

Can a ST pull from the LTL board as well??

Yep, but not often as it should be.

Update: Something I totally forgot to ask the recruiter...does Express America use T/T's??

No update needed, I know of one but there may be two. Another EO member knows more about that.

John, BCOs are Business Capacity Owners - the O/Os. Agents are Agents.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I look at the Landstar board all the time and I never see any loads anywhere for expeditors any size. But see many flat, step, and reefer, or 53' but I do look regularly.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter

If so, I am good freinds with Mark Mclochlin. Mark owns Clearwater Logistics in Indiana and is an agent for Landstar. We do a good bit of business back and forth and he is a great guy. Mark is also the current president of TEANA.

574 252 0440.

Thx John,

I'm seeking the driver side info...and I have seen Clearwater's website awhile back....appreciate the heads up and contact.

A-Rex

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
That's because we are all working.

Yep.

Not much has changed, most of it seems to be with the truck search board.

Well I wouldn't just look at LEAM, but Ranger too. Depending on what you intend to drive.

Yep, but not often as it should be.

No update needed, I know of one but there may be two. Another EO member knows more about that.

John, BCOs are Business Capacity Owners - the O/Os. Agents are Agents.

Thx Greg,

Hey buddy...share away...don't tease me...lol

Actually I'd have to research Ranger....I am only familiar with Inway mostly and Express America to a smaller extent. Never had a dealing with Ranger in the past.

What I like about Landstar is what I preceive to be a true O/O
business model...unless that has changed. I am drawn to the "autonomy" that it allows an Operator to truly be. Like a friend of mine said, (who is looking as well to make switch from company to O/O. )....seeking to be a true partner with a carrier, Not an employee paying the truck bills.... ;-)
This litmus test , for me, only passes with a very few companies
here.

What to drive???....been going back and forth on that for about as long as I have been around EO....but I am far better informed than I was in 2008...It'd be either a Straight or a Tractor...and would only be solo....Ranger use Straights??

As a Side bar:....read your post on ASE thread re: Commodites...can't argue with you on the info you shared.
Decided to leave that thread alone, it was getting a bit heated...just wanted to let you know I appreciate the extra info and seeing your view.

Run Safe
A-Rex

Last edited:

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
A t/t at leam gets 62%, A t/t at ranger starts at 71% with his own trl., 65% with a company trl. Only a couple of t/t's left at leam. I used to pull a liftgated pup ( 40" ) which leam considered a "D" unit. I would reccommend a t/t w/ a 28' pup because if expediting doesn't work for you, sell the pup and take your tractor elsewhere. Lot of used expediters out there to compete with on the used market. The t/t's that are still at leam mostly just pull very specific freight for 1 or2 agents. Leam does allow you to RUN your business and you are a business partner, not an employee. Your sucess or otherwise will be up to you. Good luck and between Greg and some of the rest of us, we can probaly answer your questions.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
A t/t at leam gets 62%, A t/t at ranger starts at 71% with his own trl., 65% with a company trl. Only a couple of t/t's left at leam. I used to pull a liftgated pup ( 40" ) which leam considered a "D" unit. I would reccommend a t/t w/ a 28' pup because if expediting doesn't work for you, sell the pup and take your tractor elsewhere. Lot of used expediters out there to compete with on the used market. The t/t's that are still at leam mostly just pull very specific freight for 1 or2 agents. Leam does allow you to RUN your business and you are a business partner, not an employee. Your sucess or otherwise will be up to you. Good luck and between Greg and some of the rest of us, we can probaly answer your questions.

Hey Wally,

Thanks for the info...I did come a cross a nice 2005Int'l 9200 online over the weekend, spoke to rep this afternoon about stretching it....yet having a 28' pup sounds like a plan as well.....I had thought of that once, but never saw it, except in P&D operations.

Can you explain Rangers' operations? Do they take a pup? How are they different than LEAM or Inway? What size trailers are accepted at Ranger?
Lastly...Ranger use Straights???? Any contacts or agents to qualify.
Appreciate it all
Thx
A-Rex

Last edited:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I look at the Landstar board all the time and I never see any loads anywhere for expeditors any size. But see many flat, step, and reefer, or 53' but I do look regularly.

Almost no expediter loads will be posted on the Landstar board because those loads need to be assigned to a truck/cargo van quickly so the agents will be calling those Landstar drivers in the area to see if they want the load and if they cant find a driver to cover that load then they will be putting the load out available to other expediting companies