labor day load

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we are on a slow journey to northern mi with a delivery for tomorrow(as are many of us). we decided to use the free time to tourist.

we stopped in gettysburg. first to walk the town and get some coffee.

we stopped here, cafe sant armand
078.jpg

and had some creme brulee, gracies fave dessert

074.jpg

oog like creme stuff

077.jpg

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we are big architecture fans so we walked the town. i could not possibly take photos of everything we find interesting but here is the train station. this is where union soldiers arrived and casualties were evacuated from in 1863. lincoln also arrived here to give his speech.

we both like the italianate style of architecture

079.jpg

the battle field is just west of town. it extends north and south of rte 30. unfortunately we only gave quick tour of the north side. there are many monuments to the fallen on both sides scattered along the roadway. this is for the men from illinois.

080.jpg

this is the battlefield monument

081.jpg

the size of the battlefield is immense and needs to be seen to be appreciated. this is a max tele on gracies camera shooting towards town.

083.jpg

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
further down u.s. 30 is a twisty two lane with three mountain climbs. at the peak of each climb there is, what else, a bar:eek: and one has a nudie bar featuring "artistry in motion". at the top of only one climb is there a warning sign

089-1.jpg

these descents are great fun at nite in a cargo van, prolly more so in my jetta and less so in anything over 10K#. i really wanted gracie to see it in the daylight as she is not a two lane twisty person buT it was not to be. she survived but admitted she had to work at the driving. when i went over it 3 weeks ago it was a B-L-A-S-T!!

LSLdriver

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Jack-
We have been twice now and love it. If you ever go back take a ghost tour!! Real cool! If you ever get into St. Louis let me know.

Jeff