KOOL BEANS

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Boy - Am I Cornfused! My Ford Transit 3500 Extended is almost ready to hit the road. Now I am working on getting a roof top AC unit and I know nothing about them, (remember, this is the Newbies Forum). I have read several threads and also received some input already from y'all, but now I want whatever you can throw at me. QUESTIONS:
I assume either 13,500 or 15,000 will do - NON ducted??
Brand experience? Coleman is the only one I know of but there must be others "as good"
When it says cooling and heating - is that just adding a heat strip
Does Top Unit only just mean that you have to also buy what goes inside
BIGGEST question - how do you find someone to install it properly??
I went to camping world to get these questions answered but the "Manager" new even
less than I did and told me $1600 installed

XIGGI, MOOT, RAGMAN & all y'all jump in here and 'splain this to me PLEASE

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Is there a reason that you don't want to go with the more traditional setup? A simple house AC with a generator.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Is there a reason that you don't want to go with the more traditional setup? A simple house AC with a generator.

I could say that I think cool air dropping from the roof would be more even and comfortable than air blasting from the rear door forward. But, to be honest, it's a new 2015 Transit and I don't really want to cut a "makeshift" hole in the side/rear of van.

Reactions: ntimevan

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I could say that I think cool air dropping from the roof would be more even and comfortable than air blasting from the rear door forward. But, to be honest, it's a new 2015 Transit and I don't really want to cut a "makeshift" hole in the side/rear of van.

Just get an AC that will fit in the side window and build a brace for it. I totally understand not wanting to hack up a new vehicle but the rooftop unit is going to require some holes as well.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Still on the Roof AC. I can get the Coleman Mach3 13,500 roof unit online cheap enough. Have any of you installed your own?? I am mechanically capable, but have never done this. My big concern is how strong the roof is on my High Top Transit. I will have to climb up on a ladder and I am not that small - let's say 250 "between us friends". If you have any experience, thoughts or suggestions, I'm all ears! Yup, 250 lbs of ears.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a Coleman low profile rooftop a/c with an Onan 2800 Quiet generator mounted in the spare tire well. I also had a shore power connection that would power the a/c and lights etc. if an outlet was available. I had it installed by Sportsmobile in Austin, TX. as they aren't that far from home. They did good work.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The roof of the Transit should hold at least 450 pounds. The lowest roof rating I've ever seen is the Sprinter at 450. That doesn't mean you should stand on the roof and jump up and down.

It would be kewl if you did that, tho.

Reactions: in-Transit

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do not stand or kneel on the roof of a Transit. You will dimple the roof panels. Either build a scaffold over the roof or support the roof from the inside (questionable).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Do not stand or kneel on the roof of a Transit. You will dimple the roof panels. Either build a scaffold over the roof or support the roof from the inside (questionable).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was thinking a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood with a square cut out in the middle to support me more evenly???

Reactions: don111

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Still on the Roof AC. I can get the Coleman Mach3 13,500 roof unit online cheap enough. Have any of you installed your own?? I am mechanically capable, but have never done this. My big concern is how strong the roof is on my High Top Transit. I will have to climb up on a ladder and I am not that small - let's say 250 "between us friends". If you have any experience, thoughts or suggestions, I'm all ears! Yup, 250 lbs of ears.
Why such a large btu air conditioner? You may be able to make snow! Seriously, with adequate insulation in the van that is a lot for a cargo van.

Stay safe
KG

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I guess we all have a different level of comfort when it comes to cooling.

Stay safe
KG