Knoxville TN ?

jwh11550

Expert Expediter
I would like some opinions on what location would be best as a home base.
My wife and I plan on getting into expediting in 12 to 24 months from now. We currently live in Cleveland OH but would like to move to Knoxville TN.
We plan on purchasing a straight truck with a 22-24' box.
I think Cleveland is closer to the trucking lanes but we really love Knoxville.
What area would be considered the best location in the US?
Thanks.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I think a husband/wife team would do great out of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

The key is a Husband/Wife team in a straight truck.

It's a receipe for good to great revenue.

Knoxville, TN is still a great expedite town to be based out of. You will have good success out of K-Town!

Thanks,
Lawrence

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
There's a recent post about that in the recruiter's forum where someone was asking where in the southeast would be the best place to relocate. Knoxville is a good area if you're looking at the south. Indianapolis is an area that's pretty easy to get out of. I've had luck anywhere in Ohio and Indiana, and Kentucky west of I-75. In case you didn't know, I-75 is the automotive corridor. Anywhere from Flint to Atlanta is a good expediting zone.
It also depends on which company you want to run with. But my advice is not to move somewhere because one company has good freight there. I think the best place may not be where the freight IS, but where the freight SURROUNDS. That way, you'll be able to deadhead minimally for a load, and get home more. Chattanooga is a good place for that, as is Louisville; Columbus, OH; South Bend, IN; Ann Arbor, MI; Findlay, OH; and Bowling Green, KY.
Let me know if I missed anywhere...

T-hawk

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Try talking to DMW expediting out of Nashville . With a lot of expediters though where you live doesn't really matter if you're out 3 or more weeks at a time .

jimbo van

Expert Expediter
I plan on relocating to Freightliner FL80.I think this will be the best home for expediting.Near all lanes period.I don't see any choice.On the flip side I hope to see the wife at the city apartment once in a while??Jimbo

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We've (wife and me) have pondered the relocation question ourselves, but more from a tax point of view. Tennessee appeals because it has no state income tax. However, the sales taxes there are higher than most states. If you are on the road a lot and buy most of your stuff in other states, you can mitigate the sales tax downer. If your home a lot, sales tax can add up to be a major annual expense.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
8% sales tax isn't that much higher compared to other states. And the nice thing about Tennessee is that it's thin and surrounded by 7 other states. If you're making a big purchace, go to a cheaper state and get it. But the cost of living in TN already makes things relatively cheap to begin with. One benifit of my family moving to the tri-cities area is that we're only a few miles from KY, VA, and NC.

I don't know why I'm advertising TN so much... after I move there, I won't want anyone else to move there :7

Damn houses on the mountaintops screw up the scenery... but I want one ROFL :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I wish the sales tax was only 8%! We live just outside of Nashville in Rutherford County and the sales tax is 8.75% on a few things, but mostly 9.75% where Williamson County is 9.25%. One good thing is the fact that we don't have a state income tax so overall, the sales tax is tolerable when you look at other states that have a 5, 6 or more percent income tax and also a sales tax.

Tennessee is the place to be! Major arteries to the interstates and surrounded by several states within a couple of hours.

Kitty Litter and Ms Puss

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I live in Florida,no state income tax,moderate sales tax of 6.5%,but boy they sock it to the tourists with hoel and rental car taxes. Once or twice ayear I need to rent a car and it starts out a base rate of $24.99 per day and by the time you are done you are looking at $40.00 or so per day. I like the area west of Knoxville where 40 and 75 split,Lenoir City Tn area.Great lakes and the TN river there.One of my dreams would be to renovate an old houseboat and live there.Perhaps it might happen some day.

Expediterman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My wife and I moved to the Knoxville area about 4 years ago from Cleveland. It was a great decision. Business isn't bad. Besides, once you get a load, you won't be home for a few days anyway.

If you are looking to move, East Tennesee is a great place to live.

Bob and Hooligan

jwh11550

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the info. We have deceided to transfer to Knoxville with our present jobs and work for a year or so while we educate ourselves to get into expediting.
We want to be totally debt free when we start out.
It sounds like a great place to live.
Thanks again.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With all the Tennessee interest this thread reveals, maybe we should all chip in, buy a few hundred acres, and build some townhouses with truck parking and some shared pole barns and wash bays where we can do some of our own maintenance when home. We can call it "Expediting Acres, Where No Freight Moves" or some such thing.

First community rule....No urninating in the parking lot!

jlipps

Expert Expediter
Well everone since i live here i'll find you all the land and get you started. you want it gated???