King Pins

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
Hey Gang,

My question is on King Pins (Front Axle). Whats a good indication that you may need them, and whats a good way to check them.

2001 F/L Cent.Class Right front was wearing on the inside. Seems like it got to a certin point (just took the lip off) and now not wearing so much. same for left tire had some slight cupping on the outside (same just took the lip off) and it to has seem to have slowed also. (like they found a good spot) not a lot of looseness in the steering wheel but it is cocked at 12-6, instaed
of 9-3 (can't see my speedo)

Thanks

AbeJr
(Still slightly a Newbie)

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Jack up the tire, then try to lift up on tire with a crow bar.Even better have someone else pry up on tire while you watch king pins.There should be no up and down movement.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI

I would also check the tie rods.These will cause outside cupping and wear and misalianed steering wheel.Since it is almost impossible to change the king pins without a ball joint press and puller.I would just take it to an alianment shop.Also it has to be aligned anyway.So save yourself some cussing and bloody knuckles.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
With your steering wheel 90 degrees off center and unusual wear happening on the steer tires, forget about "checking" your kingpins!

Get the truck to an alignment shop ASAP!!!!!!!! The alignment tech will inspect all of the steering components before trying to do an alignment and advise you as to any problem components.

Rex

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A wheel alignment check will cost $50 to $80 depending on where you have it done. After the alignment shop sees your truck, the answers you get there will be much better than the ones you get here.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When you get your alignment, I would advise doing a laser alignment on the whole truck. A deteriorated or missing shim on your back axle would affect the tire wear on your front end. It may not be king pins at all. A good alignment and suspension mechanic will find this problem.
Additionally, when lubing the king pins, have the shop jack up the front end. If you don't, the grease is only getting to part of it.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
Thanks will do, I am at home for the week and have a ton of things to do to my truck. I am searching my area now for someone to give all 3 axle's a good looking over.

AbeJr
Stand Tall & Be Proud

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Most of these trucks have a sealed front wheel bearing, No lube, no adjustment. As said above check if you have play in the wheel with no weight on it it may be the hub and or the king pins.Grease the King pins well and try to move them. If the movement remains the same it is probably the hub. The hub interchangeable right or left cost about $550. Got one under the bunk as a spare, as I lost a day trying to get one shipped in. You can change them yourself no big deal just need a hammer,punch and 1 1/2 inch socket

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I agree with Dave the 1st alignment I had on my fl70 was crap and ruined my rear tires they wore weird in only 10k miles.

Now new tires and good alignment and 22k miles later and new tires look awesome.

When you get your alignment, I would advise doing a laser alignment on the whole truck. A deteriorated or missing shim on your back axle would affect the tire wear on your front end. It may not be king pins at all. A good alignment and suspension mechanic will find this problem.
Additionally, when lubing the king pins, have the shop jack up the front end. If you don't, the grease is only getting to part of it.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hey Gang,

My question is on King Pins (Front Axle). Whats a good indication that you may need them, and whats a good way to check them.

If your tire suddenly snaps to a sharp angle and locks up or gives you little response when steering you need a king pin. If you want to catch it before I took the KW to a Bosslemans and they did an alignment check for free and looked at the front end.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Deville

Not a Member
FL's are werid. I have driven severla inculding mjy own now for 8 years with the steering whell slighty off the 9-3 position. The truck still runs stright down the road & my tires have always had even wear. Had it checked by a shop several times, they never needed to make major adjustments.

I do need shocks, the truck doesn't ride as nicely as it used to.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

BRAVOZULU Give the man an outstanding my dad had me doing this all the time when I greased the Tractor on the Farm.

Now how many of those Pms do they jack up the front ends when they grease them.
Not even the Famous Speedco.
good question.