king pins

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After noticing a vibration out of my front end, I had the truck put on a chassis machine. What they found was my king pins were wearing out, after 320,000 miles (Probably from too many trips to Detroit):7 Anyway, what I found out was that most trucks when coming from the factory new, use neoprene rubber bushings that wear out. My Kenworth dealer advised that when replaced, make sure you are getting brass bushings. He said some dealers will cut corners and use the rubber bushing. Not much difference in cost. (50.00)
The brass will last 3 to 4 times longer than the rubber ones.
Just thought I would pass this along. Something I wasn't aware of.
Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Great tip! I recently became aware of the cost of kingpin replacements and spec'ed a heavier duty front end on the new truck we're ordering partly for that reason.

Do you think they'll EVER fix that road in Detroit (Windsor bridge). It has to be one of the worst roads in North America. When will someone get a clue?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
According to Kenworth, the king pins will be as vunerable whether it is a 10,000lb axle or a 12,000. I was lucky because these lasted to 300,000. The freightliner needed them done at 175,000. Price to repair and or rebuild front axle and springs is 1600. That included the brass bushings
You are right on Detroit/Winsor bridge road.
What I find sad was the road you get on after you pay your toll that takes you to 75/96 was recently redone. All new concrete. But where the sewers are, the road has cracked up and caved in. They did throw a few cones around them. It lasted a whole month......unbelievablex(

dieseldoctor

Expert Expediter
Dave, Just a word from my experience with kingpins. I was district maintainence manager for the Mid-Carolina district of BFI with three shops to look after. When I came there they were haveing loads of problems with kingpins and bushings and spring hanger pins and bushings. They greased the whole truck every two weeks no matter what the mileage. But they did NOT jack the truck up to grease the front end. Now I know you are probably right now saying what the hell? But think about the way a kingpin is in the bushing bore when it is loaded. The surfaces that bear against each other "and need the grease" are squeezed together and grease can not get between them. It will always go to the unloaded side and then squirt out. When you jack the truck up by the chassis the springs hang down and the wheels try to lean the other way. This opens up the "load" surfaces of the pins and bushings so grease will go between them and be embeded in the "pores" of the bushings. Boy did my mechanics raise a fuss about having to jack up a truck just to grease it but after several yrs not haveing to replace king pins and bushing and spring pins and bushings they decided it was a good idea. Just my experience. DD

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good advise. Our problem was over time the neoprene rubber bushings gave out. Replaced with brass ones and that solved the problem.