Kinda sad

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
This I am sure has been posted before but what a suprise. I was out to the Detroiter truck stop yesterday and the Alumi-bunk building was all closed up and for-sale. Did they change locations or just close that one up.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I saw a new looking one that I wasn't sure if it was always there around Toledo I think. Somewhere in Ohio if that's not right. Kinda sad....when I parked my car INSIDE their gate because the owner told me it would be fine... long story of why I had to in the first place...I came back and all my hubcaps were stolen off my car!!! Now it looks so ugly. LOL. I'm sad.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They are over in Toledo off 75 near the Chyrsler plant. only been open a Short While.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
butterfly610
If this happened in Michigan and you have proof that the hubcaps were on the vehicle when you were told to park there - they owe you a set of hubcaps. The laws here are clear, the property owner is responsible for the vehicles parked on their property regardless if there is a sign posted on the property or you are told that they are not responsible.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Man..wish I would've known that. It happened back in April, so it's too late now probably...plus my car is back at home in Texas, just looking sad without proper hubcaps. Who steals hubcaps anyway? Not trying to spread anything, but I think it was an inside job. That area's not a lot of people just walking around, and if someone walking around saw it, they'd probably think that the cameras would see that area, plus you'd have to crawl under that gate. Someone who works there probably needed some for their car or a friend's. They just acted wierd when I told them about it too. Like, you had hubcaps, never saw that you had them? Like it's a strange thing or something. Oh well...forcing us to buy new rims...lol.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
They move for a reason, Michigan *****

See here is how it is in this area;

Most people now have alloy wheels which means no caps. There are however many who have can't afford a Navigator or Escalade because their welfare checks only cover the leases on the cheaper models of caddies and Lincolns, so they have caps on their wheels.

Now with the horrible roads here thanks to mismanagement of the road fund and the idea that they need to widen a road because someone may build a house somewhere, pot holes are built into the specs for the road to save time and money. These new fangled pot holes will knock off any cap on any wheel AND some have been designed to become sink holes and swallow whole cars at time. But to add to this, we have a lot of drivers who just don't know how to drive - like knocking off the mirrors on their brand new lease while pulling out of the dealer - they tend to hit curbs and smack into other objects that normally would be avoided, which I think is sometimes takes it toll on the poor old plastic hubcap they have now.

With the lack of a real after market supply of hubcaps in the area, we have a real black market for the caps and have gangs of hubcap thieves who roam around hunting that all important commodity to cash in. Some have been caught cashing in with the many insurance scams that are going around, claiming that their hub caps were stolen and 'buying' them from illegitimate hub cap dealers. Which is another Detroit story in it's self. :p

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
RE: They move for a reason, Michigan *****

its to bad alumi bunk did,nt go out of bussiness they are or were about worseless and the biggest crooks in the bussiness
just my opinion

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
RE: can I get a witness

They moved from the Detriot area because the cost of Kevlar Vests to assure employees would make it to work alive were becoming too costly.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
RE: can I get a witness

There goes the neighborhood in Toledo,oh well.As the Junk owners know so well,there's an American sucker born every minute which keeps their ladies in silk saries and red rubies.Future expediters of America line up and sign over your property,have we got a deal for you!!!

tru2037

Seasoned Expediter
butterfly610
If this happened in Michigan and you have proof that the hubcaps were on the vehicle when you were told to park there - they owe you a set of hubcaps. The laws here are clear, the property owner is responsible for the vehicles parked on their property regardless if there is a sign posted on the property or you are told that they are not responsible.

First off, its in the Detroit location... Inside job? second how long did you park it there - a LONG TIME... Last, how hard would it be to get into the parking lot w/ customers always breaking the locks... I would feel lucky some newbie truck driver didnt plow into it like the rest of the trucks on the lot.

"They moved from the Detriot area because the cost of Kevlar Vests to assure employees would make it to work alive were becoming too costly."

Seriously...

Enough w/ the bull though! As a employer on the SERVICE side of things, Matt is back and all order has returned! We have not closed just moved, and we are ASE certified now. So if you dont like the sales side of things at least check out the new garage!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
First off, its in the Detroit location... Inside job? second how long did you park it there - a LONG TIME... Last, how hard would it be to get into the parking lot w/ customers always breaking the locks... I would feel lucky some newbie truck driver didnt plow into it like the rest of the trucks on the lot.

"They moved from the Detriot area because the cost of Kevlar Vests to assure employees would make it to work alive were becoming too costly."

Seriously...

Enough w/ the bull though! As a employer on the SERVICE side of things, Matt is back and all order has returned! We have not closed just moved, and we are ASE certified now. So if you dont like the sales side of things at least check out the new garage!

I don't see what that all has to do with my comment.

It is the law in Michigan that the property owner is responsible - there are court cases after court cases that stipulate that - if you don't believe me, talk to a lawyer. It don't matter how long someone parked there, it is clear who is responsible.

If Alumibunk moved, so be it - I really don't blame them given the conditions of the crappy state right now and the lack of a future for businesses in it. I can see that a 50 mile difference either easterly (meaning Canada) or southerly would be a big gain for them. I only wish that instead of everyone moving out of the state, people put some effort into recalling that horrible person we call a governor.

But I think it is funny that you are just now ASE certified, why not before? you all had some sales to justify the certification, even though it is really not that costly, what was the difference between then and now? Did working in the area prevent you all from taking the time to pass the certification? I mean while dodging the bullets from the 'Detroiters' and the wild and crazy auto workers coming out of Ford, you were too tired to study? :D

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
The following is a news item that was posted in the EO News section in January:

"Alumi-Bunk has a new home!

Beginning in 1994, the expedited truck and sleeper manufacturer has operated a sales location in Woodhaven, Michigan; first, in a second floor office in the Detroiter Truck Stop until the year 2000, when the company opened a dedicated facility behind the truck stop.

Sheel Advani occupied the Sales Manager position at those locations and he says, "It was evident to us that after its third year in the Woodhaven building, that we had outgrown the location."

"Not only did we want a larger facility, we wanted to give our customers a facility where we could do it all - a true one-stop shop. We wanted to go on to a grand level and increase our services."

"On January 1, 2008, we opened our newest and largest location in Toledo, Ohio, next to the DaimlerChrysler Jeep plant (a location that should be very familiar to many expediters)".

Situated on a 16-acre property, the dealership features an over 65,000 square foot building with a grand lobby to welcome customers, two floors of office space, a sales floor of approximately 20,000 square feet and 33 service bays.

Advani explains that the shop is divided into different sections, with bays dedicated to tire repair, oil change, wash and general service.

"We can repair any make, model or style of truck," says Advani.
"We will eventually do some production work here, putting van bodies and sleepers together and we will also have a full body shop with a paint booth that can accomodate a full tractor or a complete straight truck. We also have plans to offer fabrication services here to fulfill a customer's desire for custom work."

He continues, "As always, we provide a very high level of customer support/service and because we deal with the expedited market, we do it in an expedited manner! As an example of that service, we offer a full customer lounge with laundromat facilities and showers for our customers."

"We hope soon to go to three shifts to better service our clientele by working around their time constraints. The bottom line is, people in the expedited freight business want to get in and out of the service provider's facility as quickly as possible and we want to accomodate that desire."

Advani tells of yet another service that the dealership will offer: "We have plans to provide a centralized gathering place for fleet owners to meet with their drivers in a group setting."

"They will be able to use our conference room in this Toledo facility which is centrally located and convenient to the major carriers such as Panther, FedEx, Tri-State and others."

During these meetings, Advani points out, the drivers can take advantage of the setting and have maintenance or repair performed.

Why Toledo?
"Toledo is the gateway to all of Michigan and Ontario, Canada," says Advani. "And," he adds, "The state of Ohio and the city of Toledo have welcomed us very warmly with perks and grants that were unavailable to us in Michigan."

Advani says that the new Toledo location represents a "makeover" of the Alumi-Bunk brand and along with the new home is a new name for the location which is the Supercenter dealership for Alumi-Bunk in the United States.

This location will operate under the corporate name of "Jain Truck Center" along with its sister dealerships - Belleville Freightliner and Kingston Freightliner, both in Ontario, Canada and West Virginia Truck and Trailer.

Advani has been named President of the Toledo dealership.

The Jain Truck Center can be found at Exit 207 on I75, right next to the Chrysler Jeep plant.

Jain Truck Center - 800 799-2865
Local number - 419 729-2594
Local fax number - 419 729-3090

The dealership's Grand Opening is tentatively scheduled for sometime in April, the exact date to be announced."

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Jeff, but I am still want to know what does this have to do with my comment - no need to answer that.......

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
But I think it is funny that you are just now ASE certified, why not before? you all had some sales to justify the certification, even though it is really not that costly, what was the difference between then and now? Did working in the area prevent you all from taking the time to pass the certification? I mean while dodging the bullets from the 'Detroiters' and the wild and crazy auto workers coming out of Ford, you were too tired to study? :D

It would have cut into their profit margin to much to have their "mechanics" certified.

Also it seems nothing has changed in their attitudes towards the drivers (customers) as they seem all to eager to put the blame for any theft or damages on them. I'm Doggie Daddy and I approve this posting.DD.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It would have cut into their profit margin to much to have their "mechanics" certified.

Also it seems nothing has changed in their attitudes towards the drivers (customers) as they seem all to eager to put the blame for any theft or damages on them. I'm Doggie Daddy and I approve this posting.DD.

Well I don't know, but I would assume that this would have been done a long time ago. I really had only one dealing with them in Woodhaven and that was not bad. But reading all the complaints about them is just that, reading to me. I have not had my sleeper serviced by them or my truck and may never so what do I know what they are like and I really don't blame them for moving as I said.

But I do know that they are responsible for the trucks on their lot when they were in Michigan.