Just Starting

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your best bet is to go out an drive for yourself an learn the business. Stay out for 25 days an come home for 5. Then go out for another 25 days an come home for 5. Do this for your first 3 months an see how well you did in how many loads, food expenses, fuel, showers, motels, dead head. If you can handle sitting for 3 days at a truck stop. Then your golden. Hiring a driver with out yourself having any idea what it's like living in a van spells disaster. I own 3 ford transit an one straight truck. I started out in a van by myself for the first yr an went threw 3 different expediting companies. Finally found a company who cares about the fleet owners an been with them since 2001. Also I now the areas where the company I am with gets the loads, so I move my fleet in those areas. An no where there is no freight. Also have a contract by a lawyer made an sign. I have been threw lawsuit by drivers in the past the quit after 3 months when in writing I keep 1000 of there pay if you quit before 6 months are up. After 6 months they get the 1000 back. So have a contract that clearly states what is expected from the driver an you.

Reactions: jcochristoph

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Talking about sprinters, I couldn't care less that there are not qualified sprinter mechanics on every corner. One time in 12 years and 775k miles I needed the services of a qualified sprinter mechanic and I drove 200 miles to one. I could have done without it and fixed it myself but I wanted it to be done quicker. So, at least to me, a mechanic on every corner is of no advantage.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That is fortunate for you... But you know many others have had unbelievably costly numerous repairs on not just sprinters, but most commercial purposed production vehicles, in all industry categories. Being produced piecemeal and so many lower quality parts (especially imported ones) with no stocking parts now has become almost the accepted norm nowadays, and it is killing untold numbers of enterprising entrepreneurs - many before even hardly getting started. So many of us ARE concerned with finding qualified services, especially since it seems to always happen on a weekend in BFE somewhere, LOL

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another example of belittling someone with a diffeering opinion.... "... lazy..."?
And good luck with your efforts" finding" knowledgeable , honest, "qualified" sprinter techs/service centers anywhere (emphasis on knowledgeable)

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app

Emphasis on "I" myself, plenty of good Sprinter mechanics out there to choose from if you can make it to their location depending on what part of the country you're in. Of course breaking down in the middle of no where is never planned. ;) It certainly pays to do your research and be in the know with the "known Sprinter mechanical problems" and practice good maintenance habitual intervals.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
at tysinger's in hampton va we have some of best sprinter mechanic on east coast

JNaron

New Recruit
I will say you don't need experience behind the wheel just experience in the business. I worked for a guy and my dad still works for him who has never drove and never owned a truck but work for companies learning the business. Has help from the company he leases to and my dad who is a driver for him a fleet manager as well as fleet coordinater of the company. The guy has eight trucks running good and him and dad are like partners now. What helped is others helping him not being negative about him doing it. Pass every no til you get a yes.