Just started, questions about van life (Ram Promaster 2500)

Alec McDaniel

Rookie Expediter
Driver
As you can see, I ran out of Reflectix for the roof so I have to get some more but there you go.

M6kwqLg.jpg
Every little bit helps. You might want to do something about those bare floors while you are at it.

I want to, but my fleet owner said to avoid the floor for now until we know this works, sorta strange to me but at least I got this done.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As you can see, I ran out of Reflectix for the roof so I have to get some more but there you go.

M6kwqLg.jpg
Every little bit helps. You might want to do something about those bare floors while you are at it.

I want to, but my fleet owner said to avoid the floor for now until we know this works, sorta strange to me but at least I got this done.
While ive never used a van, im sure its going to get cold with those bare floors.
Maybe a van guy will chime in with advice.
Good luck.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Others are far more knowledgeable about insulation than me. That said, I believe Reflectix requires “air”to reach it’s potential R value. I could be wrong, but putting it on the floor,then smashing it down with plywood isn’t going to accomplish much.

I would at least want some boards to lay down if you got a load, and sliding it up or pulling it out if it got off the edge of the board, could rip up your existing plywood.

That said, I think your van looks great. You’ve obviously put in some hard work.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, it's a start but really just that ...

Did you have a heat source?

Also, Rags is right. I don't want to say your efforts are in vain but if you don't cover up the rest of that metal it's like leaving a window open in your apartment. Two sides of your apartment are sealed, the other two sides have windows wide open. The wheel wells should be covered as well.

Thanks for sharing ...

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A simple and Temporary Floor covering.. Cargo Blankets , buy at Harbor Freight. Lay them down on floor (doubled up ) if possible. Roll them up out of the way, when freight floor space is needed. Also you can use Cargo Blankets hanging from the ceiling to go across from 1 side to another , to act like a divider to heat /cool less of an area instead of Whole Van .

Less Miles , More Net Money .

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought a used espar from a big truck junk yard. 150 bucks got everything with it. Took an hour to install it fired right up. It’s going on it’s 4th winter. I did a complete service on it 2 years ago. Everything looked perfect inside. Might be an option to look at. My step father has been in this for almost 25 years. He’s never insulated any van he’s owned. He heats with propane with the windows open an inch at all times. He’s 83 and still doing it the same way. Almost 900,000 on his current chevy express. Mines insulated, roof and sides. 2 carbon monoxide detectors is a good idea. Woulda coulda shoulda is not an option on the other side I’ll bet.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A simple and Temporary Floor covering.. Cargo Blankets , buy at Harbor Freight. Lay them down on floor (doubled up ) if possible. Roll them up out of the way, when freight floor space is needed. Also you can use Cargo Blankets hanging from the ceiling to go across from 1 side to another , to act like a divider to heat /cool less of an area instead of Whole Van .

Less Miles , More Net Money .
My old van had a rubber type coating on the floor, followed by reflectix, then the coated wood. That floor would still get freaking cold. The cargo blankets folded up on the floor help a lot. Although, my sleeping bag material slippers (which I love), are my first line of defence

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are off to a good start. There is a learning curve. The length of that learning curve depends on you. It took me 17 years to get an Espar installed although I did insulate day one. I hope your owner is paying for these improvements. If you are doing the labor, that's great. The more you learn at the owner's expense, the better equipped you will be should you decide to buy your own van.

While driving for an owner, keep an accurate as possible record of all expenses involved with owning a van; fuel, maintenance, creature comforts, etc. This information will be of great value to you should you ever buy a van. Drive it like you own it! This will benefit you and the owner.

Good luck and please continue to post.