Owner/Operator
2010 Aerocell CW Ford 5.4 gas
4 spd automatic with 4.59 rearend
its maybe 6000 lbs empty with the cab width aerodynamic high roof box

Hwy mpg?

Thanks

DST001

Expert Expediter
I have a 2013 GMC SRW aerocell with the 12ft aero box 4.8L 6 speed transmission I'm averaging 16-17 mpg I love mine no major problems 172,000 miles on it

Reactions: Moot

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like that answer way better! Only 1 for sale anywhere near me, that's why I'm trying to figure out the biggest cost (fuel!) before I buy it...thanks

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
? Educate me please. Never had one, what's the difference? I even looked up the 4 speed auto, overdrive same as the later ford 5 speed, are chevys that much better?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ford 5.4's just aren't as efficient as GM but the big difference is the transmission and rear end gearing.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks. I think I need more planning before I buy, you just saved me some cash and a ton of frustration!

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a hunch you're right, my current van is 13 years old, is set up for loose boxes and won't run on gasoline or diesel! I'm just jumpin at the first thing I see

Reactions: scottm4211

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's just my opinion but that van is not set up for highway work.
Thanks. I think I need more planning before I buy, you just saved me some cash and a ton of frustration!
I think Scott meant the drivetrain in the Ford you mentioned isn't set up for highway use, but who am I to interpret for two Canadians speaking in their mother tongue?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not just change the gearing to 3:73. Should be around the $1,000-1,500 range.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the thought, unsure the difference in mpg it would make...a bubble van would work for me, can't find any around with the rear barn doors...I don't want to end up spending close in payments to the long and tall 2015 Transit I saw sell for $20,000 for an older truck when all is considered...thanks to everybody for ideas

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok...gear change I could do myself...same van with 3.73 MPG? Anyone? Would the 5.4 fall on its face with 3.55? Thanks billg27

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretend I'm stupid (it's not a stretch) why does it matter how many gears when the overdrive ratio is the same? Ford 5 speed and 4 speed 0.71 and 0.70

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As you pointed out there isn't much difference. But you are only looking at driving in top gear. Hills, wind, weight etc will cause downshifting. What's the difference between 5th and 4th on the 5 speed compared to 4th and 3rd on the 4 speed?

My personal belief is for a cube van like the Unicell CW to attain decent fuel mileage, a 6 speed transmission and an axle ratio no lower than 3.73 is required. I did the math and some guess work when specing a Unicell CW on a Chevrolet chassis with a 6.0 and the above drivetrain. My driving habits and those specs, I concluded that mpg in the high 16's was doable for the life of the van, all miles.

Reactions: Treadmill

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I made a note of what you said...I'm holding off for now, I know the Ford wouldn't get that but it's 10 grand and clean...cheapest I've seen in the Chevy version is 16000, I'm trying to avoid payments if I can...thanks