Just got home, car had dead battery :(

Badmunky

Seasoned Expediter
So I just got home after almost 50 days and went to start my 2007 Impreza WRX and for the first time sins I got it it let me down. Its not he cars fault thou. Its the batteries!
It would seam that after sitting for so long with out being run the battery has given up on me.
Now I have done this many times with no problems but for some reason the battery did not hold a charge this time.
I checked and found nothing was left on while I was gone.

I'm just shocked that a battery would die after only 10k miles of use and 1 winter.

I can not unhook the battery as some one may need to move the car while I'm gone and do not have any way to hook a charger to it while I'm gone ether.
I also have no one to start it.

But seeing as a new battery was $136.00 bucks I don't want to have to replace it again any time soon.

Im going to look in a soler charger. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Any one els have this problem?

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
If you are going to let a car sit for more than a month , I would just get a battery tender its like a charger that just keeps the battery topped up. You can get them fairly cheap I bought 2 at Harbor freight tool , I think they were about $10-$15 it should solve your problem.
________
Pattaya Heights Condos

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are only two ways to solve it, dis-connect it or keep it charged. All modern cars have parasitic drains on the batteries. A solar charger might do it for you. Be sure if you use one you have a battery monitor to shut of the "juice" so you don't cook the battery. Not expensive and available where you by the charger. Do you have snow to put up with? Long periods without sun? Solar might not work. The battery tender will in that case. You will have to find a way to get power out to it. Sorry, no other ways that I know of. Layoutshooter

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
WHo would be needing to move the car that can't come over and crank it up once a week and let it run for 10 minutes?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Either the solar charger that lays on the dash and plugs in the lighter socket or the booster that plugs in the wall outlet and is ready to go if needed. You'd just have to go inside to get it if need be.

Badmunky

Seasoned Expediter
WHo would be needing to move the car that can't come over and crank it up once a week and let it run for 10 minutes?

The car is being stored at my inlaws house right now. They refuse to start it as they do not want to be responsabe if there is a problem.
I did leave them a key for the car in case it needs to be moved for fire other such problem. The car is a 5-speed and they have not had a stick shift in more then 20 years and are afraid of braking the car.

Either the solar charger that lays on the dash and plugs in the lighter socket or the booster that plugs in the wall outlet and is ready to go if needed. You'd just have to go inside to get it if need be.

I found 3 solar chargers but none will shut off if the battery is full.
They will not let me run a cord out to the car as it will have to go threw there yard and they dont want to have to "worry about a problem with it".
There not exactly resonable people.

Im going to look for a new place to store the car as soon as I get home again.
Looks like I will have to pay $60 a month to a storage unit to store the car.

Later.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bass Pro and Cabela's both sell solar chargers and the "hickey" ( I just can't remember the name of the product) that shuts the power down to avoid "cooking" your battery. I do remember it is yellow and about 3 inches square. Layoutshooter