Just .05 cents a mile makes all the difference.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We just got our van out of the shop. It has a new head on the back side of the engine.

When we first started expediting, we talked to every driver that would visit with us. We new that we could learn from each of them. We were lucky to meet Dave Cunningham for Kirchner, ONT. We both drove for FDCC at that time. One of the things Dave instructed us to do was to set aside .05 cents a mile for each mile we drove for van maintenance. He said to set this aside in a separate account and use it only for maintenance. It does not sound like a lot of money, but it adds up quickly. If you drive 80,000 loaded miles a year, it comes to $4,000 a year. Out of this account you can take oil changes, tires, and minor repairs. If you have a major repair, it will cover your expense without causing you to go out of business or to borrow from who ever. If you don't have major repairs this money adds up year over year and makes a very nice down payment on your next van. This was some of the best advise we were given. If you drive a Sprinter or straight truck you might need to adjust the saving amount to meet your needs. I hope this helps someone else. We are grateful for all of the great advise we have received. 5 years later we still apply all that we have learned to make ourselves better.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the things Dave instructed us to do was to set aside .05 cents a mile for each mile we drove for van maintenance.
Was that 5 cents a mile U.S. or Canadian? I wish that hoser would come back to E.O.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dave gave us several pointers that we use every day. We are always grateful that he took the time to visit with us. Wish there were more like him.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
What did you think of the yellow Ford cutaway with the 14 ft box and the dualwheels with those deluxe fog lights and the sign on the door GVW under 10,000 lbs. That was the truck I saw in Eagle Pass loaded with the 8 skids .If you under 10 K guess that means he don't have to log.that save money on that DOT approved Sleeper. Does that mean he can by pass that Medical Card too. What his name got the Ins Card this week......If I keep eyes closed do you think he go away?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or those that that a duelly into a single wheel and think they can carry the same weight?
Someone always trying to skirt around the rules..