Judge: Walmart Must Pay ALL Hours

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
what a bunch of Bozo's for bring this suit up....most of the drivers i talked to were more then happy to get $42 for just sleeping....now Walmart will redo some schedules and they'll be lucky to see 40 hrs...IMO of course

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
They get paid for all the time, pretrip/postrip etc. but I never heard of getting paid to eat or sleep.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's a little more detailed information about it.
http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article23598463.html

If the ruling stands and the jury goes against Walmart, then the layover pay will just up and disappear, since the drivers really aren't under any kind of company control during the 10 hour break (currently $42, but the lawyers want that to be bumped up to California minimum wage), and the rate per mile will be reduced and the difference shifted to pay for all non-mileage work performed.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They get paid for all the time, pretrip/postrip etc. but I never heard of getting paid to eat or sleep.
you've never gotten layover pay when consignee is closed?....

Turtle...Or Walmart will simply transfer some work that can't be done within the time period over to contractors....I can't see this as a win...

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Think about, if the ruling stands anytime any employee goes out of town overnight they would have to be paid during their time off. This ruling will have major affect in every job in Ca.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
you've never gotten layover pay when consignee is closed?....

Turtle...Or Walmart will simply transfer some work that can't be done within the time period over to contractors....I can't see this as a win...

It depends on the customer and the company collecting the layover pay.

Now OVM the drivers were being paid for their ten hour break not really layover since drivers are required to take 10 hour breaks after hitting either 11 or 14 hour clock.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It depends on the customer and the company collecting the layover pay.

Now OVM the drivers were being paid for their ten hour break not really layover since drivers are required to take 10 hour breaks after hitting either 11 or 14 hour clock.

yeah good point......it is all in the definition I suppose.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The article I posted has some good unforgiven in there. You'll see the dispute isn't over anything that can be transferred over to another driver or contractor.