It's FUN time!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I finally was able to get all the components needed to start loading for my 5.56MM. It was a journey that took several months of researching different loads, bullets, powders etc. Then several more months trying to locate everything.

I have 4 different bullets I intend to load, 2 target and 2 varmint. We will load 3 loads for each bullet. One with the minimum powder needed, one in the middle and one at the max. 5 shells for each load. Then it's out to the range to see which loads, with each bullet, performs the best. The goal is to tune 2 "perfect rounds" to the barrel, on target round, one varmint round. Once we learn which bullet, and "rough" load, is the most accurate, we will start tuning that load by upping, or lowering, the powder charge, to come up with perfection. It is demanding work and we hope to get down to changes of 1/4 grain of powder, or smaller. The rifle is very capable and I intend to take advantage of all it can do.

My friend, Paul, is a expert in this field and he is going to teach me how to load metallic, something I have never done.

One must always want to learn new skills, it keeps the mind active. Learning to load, tune loads, etc, is demanding work, exercising the thought process. It also leads to more range time, which is always good. There is nothing like working on being able to put 5 shots into one hole.

Latter this year, after we have developed the ideal varmint load, I will start learning how to hunt for coyotes. Something else I have never done.

It is great having time to learn new skills. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We loaded 60 test rounds today. We took them down to 1/10th of a grain on the powder, precision loads. It will be fun when I get to see what the rifle likes, and does not like, with these loads.

The next step is a perfect zero at 100 yards with milspec 62 grains FMJ. That will be the starting aim point. Then 5 test rounds with each load. It matters not where they hit, I am just looking for groups.

QUAD 40

Rookie Expediter
Hello, and happy new year to all here. This is my first post here, though I have lurked here for quite some time.

layoutshooter; I have been an avid reloader since 1972, and look forward to reading about your load development adventures. you're reloading 5.56mm now. Any plans for other calibers in the future?
Oh, almost forgot, I ran expedite for roberts express in the early 90's and later for express america (pre-landstar). After my time in expedite I went back to pulling a flatbed. Now that I'm 65 I think about expediting again. Just kidding!!, but I do enjoy talking about trucks and trucking.
Looking forward to joining the conversation from time to time. Thank you all.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hello, and happy new year to all here. This is my first post here, though I have lurked here for quite some time.

layoutshooter; I have been an avid reloader since 1972, and look forward to reading about your load development adventures. you're reloading 5.56mm now. Any plans for other calibers in the future?
Oh, almost forgot, I ran expedite for roberts express in the early 90's and later for express america (pre-landstar). After my time in expedite I went back to pulling a flatbed. Now that I'm 65 I think about expediting again. Just kidding!!, but I do enjoy talking about trucks and trucking.
Looking forward to joining the conversation from time to time. Thank you all.

Welcome to the club!

Right now I have no plans of loading for any other calibers. My should can no longer take the constant pounding of my heavier calibers which is one of the reason I bought the AR. The low cost per round is the other.

I am, a present, a student, my friend Paul, the "master". Paul has been loading and shooting long range competition for years and is more than happy to pass on his wisdom to me.

I have two AR's, both with Wylde chambers. The one I am loading for has a Rock River Arms up, free floated tube, 18" heavy match barrel with a 1:8 twist. I have a 3X9X40MM Burris scope on it. It has a SSA lower with a JARD modular 3LB single stage trigger. I intend to use that rifle for target/varmint hunting.

What do you load for?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When are you going to the range to test them? It sounds like fun but it is also a lot of work to do it properly and to maintain the precision of the loads. Have fun. Oh, and the flat end faces you and the pointy end faces what you want to shoot. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When are you going to the range to test them? It sounds like fun but it is also a lot of work to do it properly and to maintain the precision of the loads. Have fun. Oh, and the flat end faces you and the pointy end faces what you want to shoot. :D

Have to wait for the weather to break before I get out to the range. It's very windy and rainy today with extreme cold settling in starting tomorrow. I would like it to be light winds and over 45 degrees before I try the "test" loads. If I get a day without wind, even if it is cold, I will do the sighting in with the Lake City 62GR, FMJ, to have the reference point ready. I am going to work on 100 yards, and looking for sub-MOA, the smaller the group, the better.

Attachments

• SNIP.JPG
    SNIP.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

QUAD 40

Rookie Expediter
Right now I load for .38spl, 357mag., 45auto, and 45colt. I load these with lead bullets at moderate velocities for plinking at the range. I too will be loading 5.56mm pretty soon, as I have an m4 with quite an appetite! 10lbs. of empty brass is a bit of an incentive too.
I understand the recoil thing too, but a few rounds through a match .308 can be fun. I have built a few AR-15's for myself and friends, but just general purpose carbine types. Right now I have a Spikes tactical lower and no idea which way I want to build it as of now. With that 1:8 twist barrel have you considered heavier match bullets? Like the sierra matchkings or berger vld's?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Right now I load for .38spl, 357mag., 45auto, and 45colt. I load these with lead bullets at moderate velocities for plinking at the range. I too will be loading 5.56mm pretty soon, as I have an m4 with quite an appetite! 10lbs. of empty brass is a bit of an incentive too.
I understand the recoil thing too, but a few rounds through a match .308 can be fun. I have built a few AR-15's for myself and friends, but just general purpose carbine types. Right now I have a Spikes tactical lower and no idea which way I want to build it as of now. With that 1:8 twist barrel have you considered heavier match bullets? Like the sierra matchkings or berger vld's?

I am loading the Sierra Matchking in 77GR. The A-Max is a 75GR. After I get a good coyote load worked up I will work with more bullets and different powders. This is just a start. I don't shoot match rifle, though I can see how the .308 would be fun. I use a 30.06 for deer but factory ammo is good enough for that. The 12GA slug gun REALLY hammers the shoulder. One at a target each year to check the scope is all I can take.

I also still have to rework a LOT of duck decoys. It's a never ending job! ;)

Did you click on the thumbnail on my last post? I posted all 4 loads I am working with right now.

QUAD 40

Rookie Expediter
Yes I did. they look like a good start. I use a lot of hodgdon powder for my reloads. You might look into hodgdons cfe223 powder. supposedly an efficient powder in smaller cases, and has a coating on it to help reduce copper fouling, and make for easier copper removal.
I'm from the St.Louis area of the midwest, so my 30-30 is plenty big for my needs. My last 30-06 was an old peruvian mauser with a steel buttplate. Need I say more? My riot gun, nice to look at, shooting? not so much.
What shotgun do you use for ducks. 3"or 3 1/2" magnum? My dream shotgun is a benneli legacy 28ga. for upland birds. It's that recoil thing again.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes I did. they look like a good start. I use a lot of hodgdon powder for my reloads. You might look into hodgdons cfe223 powder. supposedly an efficient powder in smaller cases, and has a coating on it to help reduce copper fouling, and make for easier copper removal.
I'm from the St.Louis area of the midwest, so my 30-30 is plenty big for my needs. My last 30-06 was an old peruvian mauser with a steel buttplate. Need I say more? My riot gun, nice to look at, shooting? not so much.
What shotgun do you use for ducks. 3"or 3 1/2" magnum? My dream shotgun is a benneli legacy 28ga. for upland birds. It's that recoil thing again.

I have a Remington 700 out of their custom shop for deer. It has a 3X9X40MM Zeis Conquest on it. My slug gun is an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe with a Nikon 2X7X32MM scope. My muzzle loader is a Thompson Center Omega with a Thompson Center 3X9X40MM scope.

My shotguns are Benelli Super Black Eagles, older ones. I shoot 3" high velocity rounds, 1 1/8OZ at 1700 FPS, #5 shot. Most of my shots at ducks are inside of 25 yards. My ammo is from a mom and pop ammo company in Michigan. Very clean shooting.

As I get more and more into metallic reloading I will experiment with different bullets, powders, etc. I want to refine what I am working on now, learn to get it right first. Money is also an issue, SO, I will have to take it slow.

My wife and I both carry Sig P238's. She also has a Ruger MKII .22 with the bull barrel.

QUAD 40

Rookie Expediter
A very nice battery of quality firearms and optics. being on disability limits my ability to hunt any more, but my friend and I get to the range as often as possible. My range toys include a smith mdl.17 w/6" barrel, a ruger single-six bisley model 6 1/2 inch barrel .22's. both capable of one inch groups at 25 yards if my eyes co-operate. My squirrel and rabbit rifle is a Marlin 981 .22 with a Nikon 3x9 monarch w/bdc for the .22lr. Very accurate! My edc is a Kahr cw45.

Reloading is a very addictive hobby for sure. I started with a good reloading manual, a single stage press, dies for 38spl. and 22hornet. Read the manual cover to cover, kept it on the bench while reloading, and proceeded w/caution. It has been a very rewarding pursuit for all these years as I'm sure it will be for you.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A very nice battery of quality firearms and optics. being on disability limits my ability to hunt any more, but my friend and I get to the range as often as possible. My range toys include a smith mdl.17 w/6" barrel, a ruger single-six bisley model 6 1/2 inch barrel .22's. both capable of one inch groups at 25 yards if my eyes co-operate. My squirrel and rabbit rifle is a Marlin 981 .22 with a Nikon 3x9 monarch w/bdc for the .22lr. Very accurate! My edc is a Kahr cw45.

Reloading is a very addictive hobby for sure. I started with a good reloading manual, a single stage press, dies for 38spl. and 22hornet. Read the manual cover to cover, kept it on the bench while reloading, and proceeded w/caution. It has been a very rewarding pursuit for all these years as I'm sure it will be for you.

I have no doubt that loading will keep my mind active. That is just one of the reasons I decided to buy the AR's and start loading for them, to learn. It is just complicated enough to force you to think, yet simple enough that it can be learned. It's also always changing, so it's never static. Pursuits like that help to keep the mind nimble.

Hunting with disabilities can be a challenge to be sure. I know as my legs have "aged" I find I can't do nearly what I used to be able to do. I have the honor of hunting with disabled vets from time to time. They do pretty dog gone good coming up with ways to get out. We are looking at ways to get some of them into, and out of different kinds of boats, to be able to take them out on Lake Erie for some duck hunting. We hope to have some "answers" before next season.

QUAD 40

Rookie Expediter
Reloading will definitely keep your mind active. The selection of components today is second to none. Todays component market has gotten so large it could take a day just to get through the catalogs. Now that it's cold outside, I think I will focus on my next AR building project. Perhaps a designated marksman style. Now where IS that money for the ACOG??

It's good to know that you're able to help our disabled vets in that way. God knows they've earned it. Being on a fixed income, it's hard for me, but I like to contribute a little to veterans groups when I can. I was in the Navy from 1967 to 1973. was in viet nam and cambodia in 1970 in the brown water navy, patrolling the mekong river. Like these vets today, I was proud to serve my country.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reloading will definitely keep your mind active. The selection of components today is second to none. Todays component market has gotten so large it could take a day just to get through the catalogs. Now that it's cold outside, I think I will focus on my next AR building project. Perhaps a designated marksman style. Now where IS that money for the ACOG??

It's good to know that you're able to help our disabled vets in that way. God knows they've earned it. Being on a fixed income, it's hard for me, but I like to contribute a little to veterans groups when I can. I was in the Navy from 1967 to 1973. was in viet nam and cambodia in 1970 in the brown water navy, patrolling the mekong river. Like these vets today, I was proud to serve my country.

Someday, when we meet up, I will tell you the story of the ACOG I have on my "other" AR. It's a good story! :cool:

Are you with the VA health system? If not, you should be. I have been with the VA since 1990. I was just there, again, today. I had not had a hearing assessment. As expected, my hearing has degraded quite a bit. I was fitting for new hearing aids today, which I should be getting on Feb. 4. I served in the Army Security Agency from 1970-73.

I can only afford to contribute time to vets, just guys I know, not part of any organization. If your disability allows, you should think about coming out this way next Nov. We hunt duck in a very "special" manner, on the open waters of Lake Erie. We have a total riot out there. A few "teaser" photos below: (If you make it out you can here the "ACOG Story"!)

Attachments

• Nov10 007.jpg
    Nov10 007.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Nov10 016.jpg
    Nov10 016.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 014 (3).jpg
    014 (3).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 6
  • 036+2.jpg
    036+2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010051.jpg
    P1010051.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 6

QUAD 40

Rookie Expediter
Yes I am in the va health system. They took care of the surgery on my left (shooting) hand to repair a case of "trigger finger". Next surgery will be for cataracts. Got to be able to see the ducks before you can shoot them, right? Hearing tests are on the list.

Great photos of what looks like a great time on the water. After the duck shoot, there's coffee, lunch and the swapping of sea stories, right? Looking forward to the ACOG story. I have not hunted or fished for many years, but I always enjoy listening to and sharing the stories. The story of the watersnake that dropped into my father-in-laws boat while we were crappie fishing is hilarious!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes I am in the va health system. They took care of the surgery on my left (shooting) hand to repair a case of "trigger finger". Next surgery will be for cataracts. Got to be able to see the ducks before you can shoot them, right? Hearing tests are on the list.

Great photos of what looks like a great time on the water. After the duck shoot, there's coffee, lunch and the swapping of sea stories, right? Looking forward to the ACOG story. I have not hunted or fished for many years, but I always enjoy listening to and sharing the stories. The story of the watersnake that dropped into my father-in-laws boat while we were crappie fishing is hilarious!!

Shoot! We cook while we are out on the boat!