ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!! at least for now.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No, its not the scene from Frankenstien.
One week of finding out how many swear words I know and the various was I am capable of using them, 200 bucks in parts, a 300 amp boost charger $250.00 at Tractor Supply Co. and its finaly running, the charger was probly what I needed. I spent the extra fifty bucks and bought the strongest unit I could find instead of the 200 amp. I figured if 300 amps and a can of ether and dosent get it going then I will probly need to use nitro and a nuclear power plant to start it.
It started rough, smoked and choked smelled of ether and fuel stalled, cranked it again smoked and choked some more for a couple minutes, then tapered out. It still has a slight skip but not realy noticable unless you stare at the engine I hope it clears out after taking it for a ride tomorrow It got dark before I was able to put the cab back together. Besides just in case I have to mess with it, its less I have to deal with tomorrow. I also think Ill spring for the shop to scan the truck with the laptop.

I just wat to say thanks again to all those who posted advice. All are good tips to pass on.
Bob Wolf.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes just getting them running so you can figure out what is wrong can be the biggest battle. Could it be an injector that is causing the skip?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I replaced one about eight months ago they have about 330,000 on them so thats not a suprise. I started it this morning and it started right up. ran a litle smother but Im goung to look into new injectors or at least drop them at D/W Diesel for a good cleaning.

Bob Wolf.

guido4475

Not a Member
If that int'l engine is anything like the 7.3 engine, it needs fast turning over rpm's provided by the starter and batteries to crank the engine to get the oil pressure built up while cranking so the injectors will work. The 7.3 injectors were powered by the oil pressure. Kinda good idea if ya think about it, if you ever had a huge oil pressure loss, it would quit running anyway because the injectors would quit working. Glad to hear you got it running. It will smooth out in a few.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, they need good oil pressure, engine oil pressure is somthing min 50 psi just to fire, driving preasure arround 60 to 80 and after the high presure pump is somthing like 4,000 psi. I learned that when I blew an oil line the braided one that runs betwene the oil/fuel pump and the fuel rail. This line is often on D.T. and Cat engines It instantly emptied at most of the oil from the engine luckily no dammage, at first I thought I blew out the oil filter. I guess the shut down or no start a good thing especialy the morons that dont watch thier guages so that way if the oil pressure crashes the engine dosent go Chernobyl.

Bob Wolf

Last edited: