It's 03:30...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It's 03:30 Sunday morning. Do you know where your freight is?

I sure do. Diane and I are on a weekend run where the shipper wants the freight physically checked and readings taken every three hours. That's every three hours from Friday pickup to Monday delivery. It's a reefer load too, cooled to sub-zero temps. Every three hours, it's a trip into a reefer body where the air takes your breath away. Burrrrrrrrr!

When we first started expediting, Diane and I failed to fully understand that this is a 24 hour a day job in which work may be performed at all hours of the day or night. It takes some getting use to when you first begin.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Which is totally unnecessary with temperature recording equipment that provides a hardcopy print and cams recording the freight during transit.

Of course, some customers will still insist on the doors being opened and a human physically checking. Even that will be recorded with door sensors and the cams if there is any disputing afterwards.

We've had those customers. Usually once we provide recordings and they see our setup they no longer request a physical inspection on subsequent loads, although we would continue to happily do so without argument should they request.

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you're truck is T Val qualified then I don't believe those visual checks are necessary.

I suspect Phil has a T-Val load but has not got around to getting his truck T Val qualified yet.

When T Val loads come up and no T Val trucks are available standard reefer trucks can be dispatched with customer approval, but additional stops are required even though we have digital read out in the cab of the box temp.

My last T Val offer was last fall on a run from S Calif to Mass. but my camshaft failed 500 miles short of pickup (glad it failed before p/u)

But I do those 3 hour checks often out here in Calif when I haul Envirotainers. The best are just the short runs here in the bay area to the airport. But like last Tuesday when I went to LA and have to wait until morning to deliver my schedule works out to arrive at receiver 8pm send in temp reading, set alarm for 11pm throw some pants on and go back open doors and check the reading, repeat at 2am and 5am then deliver at 6am. Don't make for a good nights sleep.

Luckily tomorrow is just another shorty to Oakland airport again

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why, with the multiple cameras and temperature sensors recording the conditions, do they want the doors opened to disturb the inside environment? It seems to me it would make more sense to use the recording devices and observe that way.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Some customers don't believe in technology and/or don't understand the capabilities of a modern rig and so request checks be completed the old fashioned way.

We will do that for them; however, once new customers have been provided with a tour of the truck & onboard systems they are usually satisfied this method is far superior alternative to cracking open the doors.

Our box and control equipment is verified every 6 months and on an as needed basis by an independant third-party if we suspect issues.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
My appointment was for 10:00 pm friday, NO ONE HOME, AT HOME DEPOT. New construction, I knew earlier in the day and even told day time Dispatch this was gona be a layover. Sure enough as I said above, I got paid to sleep while others had to step into freezing temps. Sure felt bad for ya when I was deciding what time to roll out of the sleeper and walk over to Dunkin Dougnuts for that eye opening coffee.

Hate it for ya, I will keep my Dry Van freight happy with my $. I am sure you make more, I have been learning one thing in life out here somethings are not worth the aggrivation and after talking to Doc Rushing and the problems one is having with ones Validation makes it much easier to just focus on the Truck, APU, and gettin her down the highway on time.

To each his own, I wish you well, but like I said I have learned alot and to many responsiblities is why I choose to leave my only employer.

Glenhollow

Seasoned Expediter
RE: It's 03:30... Off topic though...

Hi,
You are just the people I was looking for. I am going to driving school in 2 weeks and I am considering going with Fed Ex Custom Critical as a stright truck driver (22 ft). I live the Phila, Pa area.
I am hoping you can give me some insight on Fed Ex. Do you get enough miles? When are the slow times? What kind of money will I need to get started (Fuel,truck lease to start, etc). Any other info you can give me would be great. Thanks in advance!

John

Also, sorry for the off topic post!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

go to the home page.
click on new.
click on business plan.
read.

go back to first post here. click on (writings) by phil.
read.

use the search. it covers all forums.

good luck

Jack Berry

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Keep reading Glen, I took over two months to make my decision. This site helped alot and so did contacting individuals on this site. A business plan is critical. $ is even more important, unexpected bills come in three's and can average as much as $2K each. The larger the back up $ the more likely you will not need it to insure your success in this business.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Did Phil ever deliver or is he still opening the doors every three hours?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Well we will probably get a 14 page reply as too the delivery and how the freight saved the planet from destruction.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter

>Well we will probably get a 14 page reply as too the
>delivery and how the freight saved the planet from
>destruction.

Hey, Phil seems like a reasonable chap who is just making his own way in the world. :)

I'm worried about him. I think we should send out a search party as I'm having visions of Phil frozen solid inside the box. :D

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter

>Well we will probably get a 14 page reply as too the
>delivery and how the freight saved the planet from
>destruction.
>

Rich, I had no idea you could be so, so,....... snarky! ;)

I'm really glad that at 03:30 on any Sunday, while I am snugly in my bed at home, my freight for the coming week is waiting patiently for me to arrive at the terminal on Monday.

Rex