It gets old

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You do a PTI for a reason, to find stuff not working. Well, I did. No right tail light. No lights on the right side of the cargo box, top or bottom. The light on the left side of the box are flickering and dimming. It is dark, raining and I am not legal to drive anywhere. I just lost two loads and it is going to be a 2-4 hour wait to get into the shop. This sucks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That sucks but at least you didn't get to the shipper, get loaded and get about fifty miles down the road before getting pulled over and getting a ticket, maybe losing the load, maybe having to pay for a tow etc.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Atleast you found it before the D.O.T.did,and it probably saved you lots of money by you finding it too:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That sucks but at least you didn't get to the shipper, get loaded and get about fifty miles down the road before getting pulled over and getting a ticket, maybe losing the load, maybe having to pay for a tow etc.

Yeah, it can almost always be worse. I just wonder if when they replaced my "electric brick" and wiring if they mucked up something. Everything was working before it went into that shop. Not claiming they did muck it up, just seems odd.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Had a similar problem about 10 days ago. On a run from CT to SC lost all of the box clearance lights. Noticed just at sunrise. Completed the run and then at the J in Rockhill started searching for the problem. Traced it backwards from the lights using a tester and found a wire to wire connector in a waterproof casing that was dead. Replaced the connector and everything was fine.
I think it is all the salt eating up things.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Had a similar problem about 10 days ago. On a run from CT to SC lost all of the box clearance lights. Noticed just at sunrise. Completed the run and then at the J in Rockhill started searching for the problem. Traced it backwards from the lights using a tester and found a wire to wire connector in a waterproof casing that was dead. Replaced the connector and everything was fine.
I think it is all the salt eating up things.

Yeah, it always happens in the winter. I checked what I could on a dark, rainy night. Now just waiting on getting into the shop.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If mine had gone out while still in CT there is no way I could have sat underneath it in 17 degree weather on a chunk of ice in the truck stop and fixed it myself. It would have had to go into the shop. Luckily SC was dry and warm.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If mine had gone out while still in CT there is no way I could have sat underneath it in 17 degree weather on a chunk of ice in the truck stop and fixed it myself. It would have had to go into the shop. Luckily SC was dry and warm.

Yep, warm and dry helps for sure. I am also looking at the time factor. I figure a shop is more likely to find it quicker than I can and that will get me back in service faster.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The shop at the Petro in Atlanta could not find the problem. Tomorrow I have to find a "real" shop. Another day lost. :(

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ya just get on a roll then ya have to break off for yet another repair....is this Tval/wg worth it to maintain the standard when everything is considered?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
ya just get on a roll then ya have to break off for yet another repair....is this Tval/wg worth it to maintain the standard when everything is considered?

This has nothing to do with Tval/WG or anything with FedEx for that matter. It is strictly a truck problem. There is a short or broken wire somewhere. This could happen to anyone in here who drives/owns a truck. This one will put you off the road. I have to wait for daylight and hope I don't get pulled into a scale while on my way to the shop.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This has nothing to do with Tval/WG or anything with FedEx for that matter. It is strictly a truck problem. There is a short or broken wire somewhere. This could happen to anyone in here who drives/owns a truck. This one will put you off the road. I have to wait for daylight and hope I don't get pulled into a scale while on my way to the shop.
I realize this particular repair..doesn't infer anything.....
but all this cowtoeing and checks and rechecks...gee whiz....

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I have always thought there should be a fuse box at the front of the the box underneath with 5 seperate circuits. Driver top, Driver Bottom, Passenger Top, Passenger Bottom and Rear...

This would make it SO much easier to Locate a marker light problem!!!

Also I have heard the new chemicals they use to melt the ice is very corrosive to both truck and wiring..Get out the electric oozy stuff, the shrink tubing and the heat gun and protect those connections that are exposed..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
nicely said on behalf of the audience...;)

I know your internal spirit is holding back
...you are a free man....:D

Just the facts of life and this business. It is always changing. FedEx does what they have to do and I the same. If I were to find a "better fit" I will move. Just as FedEx would have no problem replacing any truck or driver/team. Business is business.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
so where ya taking the beast this time to find the problem?

The Freighliner shop in Forest Park, GA. I have had work done there before. They did OK. They are a 24 shop so I can get in today. I would have went last night but with no lights, well, NOT a good idea. I will sneak down under the cover of daylight!! It is a 22 mile run from here. I will be leaving in about half an hour.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Freighliner shop in Forest Park, GA. I have had work done there before. They did OK. They are a 24 shop so I can get in today. I would have went last night but with no lights, well, NOT a good idea. I will sneak down under the cover of daylight!! It is a 22 mile run from here. I will be leaving in about half an hour.

wish you luck...and they don't hit your wallet too hard....