It’s 2018. Come on In

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Started the war wagon yesterday and took it for a spin.... started like a champ...:)
Come on down to Orlando and start mine since the Ford dealer can't seem to get it running. They keep replacing things, starter, battery, etc, starts than dies. Seems to me there must be a short that is a problem, but, they insist that those other things WERE bad.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ovm ... these young guys just don't understand how much freight ..You , Moot ,and I have got out of that neck of nowhere ... lol ... thats ok i like those Pd 300 mile DH 1,500 miles loaded .. loads that pop up from there ..

All aboard the Freight Train
"These young guys" drove for RRE before they were RRE. You have paid deadhead, unlike us, "No-namers"
The rate going in was not worth it.

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Come on down to Orlando and start mine since the Ford dealer can't seem to get it running. They keep replacing things, starter, battery, etc, starts than dies. Seems to me there must be a short that is a problem, but, they insist that those other things WERE bad.

I smell BS. "those other things WERE bad" is another term for "we suck at diagnosing the problem in the first place" .

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They keep replacing things, starter, battery, etc, starts than dies. Seems to me there must be a short that is a problem, but, they insist that those other things WERE bad.

Ask them for all the "bad" parts back...then you have some good spares.

Given your van's swim team gold medal....they should be unplugging all the electrical connections below the waterline and making sure they are clean n dry. I've chased some really crazy problems down to one plug that ends up having just enough water or saltywater in it to cause some sensor's voltage to be out of range enough to cause an ECM to prevent operation. It's labor intensive...likely why they aren't doing it.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Piper typed my thoughts before I could.
I had a neighbor dump a 6 month old class 8 Pete.
Nobody could figure out a no start problem.
A plug was loose in some excess wiring that was coiled up and zip tied under dash.
Pete said “ Cummins problem.”
Cummins said “ Paccar problem.”

At least you can blame Ford.
Or the CRE Scuba Team.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Took a load today from Atlanta to just north of Cincinnati today.
Apparently I had a little more wind at my back then I thought.

Set a rather bizarre MPG recorded for my Sprinter that struggles to stay at 20 mpg in the winter, especially with all my add on non-aerodynamic items.

The last few weeks I have slowed down from my normal 65mph to 61mph working on my fuel economy when possible. Today was no exception.
When I hit 440 miles on a half tank, I thought my fuel gauge must be wrong.
The furthest I ever got on a half tank was about 380 miles and that was years ago when the van was much lighter, lately if I get 320 miles at that point I'm doing pretty good. Today, I definitely got some wind help as I hit 27.24 MPG

I don't expect that to continue, seems I'm always driving head on into the wind. But it was nice to see the old girl put up that number

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app
I know a driver that does 60mph ALL the time and doesn't care if he's too slow. He says he's always on time to the shipper and consignee.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reactions: VSprinter

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I would like to think that after 6 months any bad affect from my extreme truck wash would be gone. But, after 3 years and 330,000 miles I have no problem with replacing the original battery. As for the starter, I am going to call it "preventative maintenance" and knot make myself crazy. Knot happy, but lost revenue is way more than these repairs

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would like to think that after 6 months any bad affect from my extreme truck wash would be gone. But, after 3 years and 330,000 miles I have no problem with replacing the original battery. As for the starter, I am going to call it "preventative maintenance" and knot make myself crazy. Knot happy, but lost revenue is way more than these repairs

To help make up for Loss Revenue ... maybe write a book ...
The Miss-adventures of a Worn Out Manager ....

PS ... partial funding from Ford

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Yes... maybe
But does it come with a Free Replacement jar of Vaseline when leaving shop area ...

At Mercedes dealership, Vaseline finds you.

Not at Mercedes Benz Of Fort Mitchell! They don't nickel and dime you like most dealership does!

They get you on the front end.
That way, if you never come back.......
Not with me and ive seen other Sprinter Vans come in and take care of them as well.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Booked on MI to GA (Hotlanta).
Picking up after midnight.
Off to sleep I go.

Reactions: ntimevan