Isuzu City Trucks

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Anyone have any experience with Isuzu NPR's? I'm wondering if the smaller (14.5K) ones are any good and what the lifespan of the 175hp diesels is. Looking at getting one from Ryder, strictly city use, they seem to be pretty clean, well taken care of, not abused and most have mileage figures around 160K to 180K - is that too much? Average price seems around $15K for a 5 to 7 year old model.

upnygimp

Seasoned Expediter
They're good trucks. A lot of the guys at work swear by them and have put 300k on them with really no issues beyond normal maintenance. Keep them in the city though, as that's what theyre geared for. It doesn't cruise down the highway, it screams.

upnygimp

Seasoned Expediter
LOL - I assume it can handle short (25-30 mile) stints twice a day?

Oh, no doubt. It'll run at 3krpm all day, it'll just get 10mpg doing it.

As long as you're doing local type stuff, it'll do fine. OTR, not so much. Ryder generally takes good care of their equipment also.

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
My new truck is a NPR/HD it has the 6 speed trans[auto] and turns 2200 at 68mph.I love the truck but,it is a 2008 with all the new emission stuff which is a real pain,and cost mpg.I am finally getting around 12./13.0 mpg.Now i spend 75% of my time at 59mph over the road.It will get close to 14 if highway and I stay at 62mph.I have had a number of warranty issues,but they have worked with me on them,also i have a 3 yr unlimmited warranty.The worse thing is they want 260$ to just do olf+fuel filter.Thay have done one,that i had a coupon for,I have done the next and it cost me $70 and 3 hours,no big deal[14qt oil] but also the new ones have a 10.000 intervale now.It is also rated at 205hp and i have nevr run out of power.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My 2 cents on them... to emphasize the notion of keeping them in town... years ago I drove an NPR 4 days a week long distance in FL and it does beat you up. They're great in tight quarters and inner city work - but long distance runs tend to rattle them apart and take it's toll on these type trucks. They have alot of space in the cab if you use it carefully. I was a maintanence man and delivery driver for 18 retail stores about 10 years ago from Miami to Daytona and Orlando area... for an NPR that's alot of ground to cover.

The NPR truck I drove had a low 16 foot box, so it did serve me well in that regard.

As long as you keep that truck in town, within a 50 mile or so radius of where it's got to be parked, you should love it.

There is one thing I do recommend that I did, and that is to put top and bottom spot mirrors on the mirrors... Such a small truck with such a tight turning radius, you'll learn to appreciate and love that investment very quickly.

Strap/secure cargo well and tight in the NPR, as in most cases the small cargo box can tend to sway a bit with the suspension.

BBB

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Tryin' to stay off that big road, it's not workin' too well. I still run busses PT, Passenger mostly - I still dabble with occasional weekend stuff in the private bus sector. I can't resist that quick gravy money. Construction slowed way down, so I got outa the mixer. I was getting tired of cleaning a truck every single day with acid anyways. I currently work for the city right now, in upstate SC as a CDL driver and heavy equipment operator. I'm not completely happy with it. My Supervisor missed his calling, he should have been a trucking co. recruiter, because basically everything he told me to get me in the door has turned out so far to be BS. They got good (not great, but better) benefits, but the pay is, pitiful. I went from a 35 mile commute one way to a 5.6 mile commute one way. And, I get to spend more time with my son. The schedule is, hectic at times, Especially being a volunteer fireman since 2007 and a new daddy back in July of 2007. I'm starting to seek another gig for myself, trying to find that gravy big truck operation - you know, good home time, good benefits, and good pay. Wife is tellin' me to go back out OTR, but with my son I'm reluctant - I've covered 48 and 1/2 of Canada in all kinds of machines, now I just want to run regional (gone a few nites) and perhaps long haul it in certain times of the year - like when in-laws grind that last nerve of mine. Right now, I figure I'll stick it out thru the holidays, and/or until the dust settles with this banking/mortgage thing going on right now. We've actually considered relocating, but not sure where. I love the midwest and western states, my only thing is then I'd be moving her away from all family and friends and she'd really go nuts on me then. My family is scattered all over the place, so it doesn't make much difference to me.
Other than that, not much is going on. Smile !!!

BigBusBob

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
just to add some info.The new Zoo's ride 500% better,they changed the cab and mounts,shock and springs.The new mirrors are much much better,but i still added a spot mirrors to be able to check traffic comming down on ramps