Is this typical?????????

scotthos69

Seasoned Expediter
I forgot.......How do you find the time to read these posting's when your driving 3 to 4 thousand mile's a week?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Again, WE are a team and we have a wireless internet connection.

Scott no respect meant but you were a company man trained by the company and I am sure you did a great job at what you did and how you were trained.
You are now the boss and somewhat make your own decisions of what load to take and where to go and how long to stay out and when to go home. The only guidelines are the ones you set same as your personal goals for your hopefully successful business.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
One thing about this business is that if you want the money, you have to show you are worth it and THAT YOU WANT THE MONEY! This means doing the job right, fast, efficiently and making sure dispatch knows you did it right on time and are ready to go. I tell all the new guys I meet that they have to show they want the money and they will receive, but many are too nice and don't want to step on toes or be a pest or whatever.

If you don't communicate then you are out of of sight and out of mind (to many dispatchers).

I inform dispatch when I'm coming into an area and again when I've stopped and the location. Now I'm in their mind fresh before I hit the area and after I'm in it. They know I'm around and available and it does help.

One other thing I do is take care of problem calls. Ones that someone screwed up, brokedown whatever, I go fixit and fast. I therefore get calls that maybe someone else should get, but they want it right and no problems!

Been doing it this way for years and for the most part it works as I'm usually in the top 5 earners.

Rob Fis

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its called communication...I pay them dispatchers a good rate of pay!! Remember WE pay them. They work for me! I've loaned them MY equipment and contracted THEM to find US loads! For which we pay a good price!
BUT the key word is partnership or co-operative...Team work?

Wow! Someone that thinks like me. Now that's scary. I am part French Canadien, maybe we are related, eh!

kellmellus

Seasoned Expediter
>Scott..I just seen you started this thread asking for advice
>and then I give you some and YOU say you'd sit me for days
>for phoning??
>
>I call for advice!!! I ask where trips are popping up and
>where the action is...E-1 will tell you. Some carriers treat
>it as a secret.
>Is it not in the carriers best interest to steer you where
>loads are going out of and maybe if ya move a few miles they
>can win a bid and WE BOTH make money...does it have to be
>such a guessing game?

OntarioVanMan where are the trips or action popping up and what locations are usally hot for E-1? example right now i am in lexington KY the only van and i still can,t get out.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
One thing I liked about transtewart was the fact it was a small company and they me by name. they what I was capable of doing. It didn't take for them to realize I was good at pulling the fat out of the fire. So when there was a problem like a breakdown they would call me to come in a grab the load and get it down the road. I had them pay me a few times the full contract rate of 1.20 plus fsc to dh 300-400 miles to pick up a load of off another truck. You got to let them know who you are just be polite. If fedex can't keep you busy you might need to think about going somewhere else.