Is This Treason???

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I think the USA is spitting in the wind trying to support the Libyan opposition forces. This concerns the Europeans way more than it does the US.

The US. badly needs to stop relying on foreign energy sources. And for our society to grow and prosper it needs reliable inexpensive sources of domestic energy

My two cents for what they are worth.

jimmy

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I think the USA is spitting in the wind trying to support the Libyan opposition forces. This concerns the Europeans way more than it does the US.

The US. badly needs to stop relying on foreign energy sources. And for our society to grow and prosper it needs reliable inexpensive sources of domestic energy

My two cents for what they are worth.

jimmy

Ok but do you think the US giving money to the Libyan rebels who may or may not be Al Qaeda is treasonous??

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Ok but do you think the US giving money to the Libyan rebels who may or may not be Al Qaeda is treasonous??

Sorry it took me awhile to see the reference about the Libyan rebels being Al Qaeda or associated with Al Qaeda. The Obama administration has notified Congress of their intent to fund this group. I would not be willing to call it treason, unless it could be proven that the Obama administration knew they were funding an Al Qaeda group. Then you would probably have to include Congress as well.

The bad part is that is that Gaddafi has been fighting Al Qaeda, much harder than the Saudis for the last decade or so.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem is we're depending on the mainstream media for our information. No telling who we're actually dealing with regarding the "rebels", but in Libya and Egypt we could be seeing two dictators being deposed that could be replaced with much worse leadership. We only need to look in retrospect at Iran in the '70s when Jimmy Carter allowed the Shah to be deposed and replaced by the Ayatollah Khomeini - evil incarnate, and the father of modern islamic terrorism.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not really but we have seemed to declared war on a nation without declaring war. I don't get where we have any legitimate reasoning to follow the UN mandate of protecting civilians and than go far beyond that. Maybe a reexamination of how we are using the military for these humanity missions under the guise of the UN needs to be on the forefront of the congress simply because we have yet to actually identified the rebels, their legitimate right as a group and more importantly we have absolutely no goals and we will have to send in troops regardless what happens. The one thing that we as citizens need to be concern about is the lack of congressional involvement in the use of the military and how we can stop this crap from happening in the future.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Obama and the Euros are just doing what they do best: taking sides. I don't think treason has anything to do with it. Turns out the Libyan resistance has been hijacked by the CIA. The top guy overseeing the armed resistance has a long resume with the CIA. US and the Brits and French all want the oil taken out of the market. And, Qaddafi is a ready-made long-standing target for them...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If they take the oil out of the market, then the price will go up a lot. Right now Obama has a credibility problem among those supporters who feel he is letting the price climb too high.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Isn't it the oil speculators that are primarily responsible for continued gas price rises?

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Yep it is, but ask who they are and you may be surprised.

Are you refering to the airline industry, railroads, trucking companies, farmers, any one who works for a living and would like to know what their fuel cost will be in the future.

Or was there another sinister conspiracy I missed ? LOL.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well what I mean and I know I'm being cryptic today (don't care to explain why) is that the oil speculators are the people who use large quantities of the stuff and most of the push (regardless what the successful expediter says) comes from the futures market. So yes in respect to the actual cost of running an airlines, railroad, freighter business, they are pushing the oil up on the market end of it as speculators.

BUT let's not forget that the price of oil needs to be adjusted for the loss in the dollar, which the dollar took another dump yesterday.

THIS means simply that our great leaders in congress and the WH need to strengthen the dollar by cutting spending (25% is what many say will trigger it), cut taxes in some sectors, get rid of the campaign mode of governing and (most importantly) raise interest rates above 2% - they are giving money away.

I agree with our messiah in the WH, we have to have shared sacrifice in order to deal with this crisis he inherited from the other 12 presidents so this means that we need to seriously take a look at Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and make deep serious cuts to those programs FIRST. I would think, as stated by a senior citizen yesterday in the doc's office, many feel it is a right that they get any money from the government even thought their pensions and investments are more than enough to live on. Likewise with those (like my father) who can afford not to take Medicare but rather pay for their own medical insurance - he pays more now than he did when he wasn't on medicare. BUT the greed and selfish factor kicks in and there is one of the BIG problems ... too many greedy and selfish people want what they think it theirs while they forget if nothing is done, no one will get anything out of the system in the near future.

Oh and back to the original question, I think the word disingenuous can be applied to the situation our president and congress is getting us into. Maybe this should be a point in our history we need to pull back a lot and demand that "military action for humanitarian purposes" go through the same process as a declared war.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Great. Give $$ to who will want to blow us up in 5 years. They prolly wanna blow us up now. They're just playing nice because they need our help.

As much as what's in there for Libya is a crock, it's probably better for us that he is. It was the same w/ bush in Iran. Hussein & al queda hated each other.

In a nuthsell we need to get our noses out of other people's business. bush, obama, republicans, democrats, it really doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator: