Is this possible? Salt lake to Denver in a Sprinter 2x/month?

DRBeck

New Recruit
Driver
Hey everybody,

I drive between Salt Lake and Denver 2x a month throughout the winter in a short wheelbase (144") high roof Sprinter van (up to 373 cu. ft. cargo space available) and I'm looking to occasionally pick up loads to make extra cash on the drives I'm doing already. I don't mind going slightly out of my way (let's say up to 1.5 hours one way) to make deliveries.

Solo driver with a clean driving record and no criminal history. I'm good with snow/storms so no delays unless the passes are closed. I've got snow tires/chains and am good in bad snow conditions on rural roads as well. I've done this drive maybe 20 times in the last two years in all conditions with no problems. I'm not a CMV so I would need loads under 4500 pounds, I would prefer loads even lighter than that to preserve the life of my van if possible.

Is it even going to be possible to find loads that would work for me? Where should I start? Looking for a company that already does this route?

I'm doing the drives anyway so I don't mind if I only find a load occasionally. A friend suggested looking in to this and I really don't know where to start, apologies if I"m a total noob asking the wrong things!

Thanks for you're help!

Reactions: Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
For something like that, it’d almost be better to use a Uber Loads type resource.

Generally, Expedite is a load that needs to go Right Now, to xyz location.

When I worked Hotshot, I had taken a load from Salt Lake City to Glenpool Springs, CO, which is a hour from Denver, so obviously freight moves that way.

But finding only Van Freight, then only from SLC to Denver, then only on certain days a month, almost reduced to just making a Craig’s list ad. If you could keep the van a certain temperature, maybe talk To florists, other then that, I have no ideas.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Check with www.uShip.com and see the opportunities and prices. Your request will not be compatible with the typical expedite business model. uShip has anything from a cat in a container to a motorcycle or a pallet of goods.

Reactions: DRBeck and Solar

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check with www.uShip.com and see the opportunities and prices. Your request will not be compatible with the typical expedite business model. uShip has anything from a cat in a container to a motorcycle or a pallet of goods.

..... and would he need any sort of certification or insurance to transport interstate goods? It's over 500 mi 1 way, if that matters ...

DRBeck - out of curiosity, why are you going back & forth between between the 2 cities? Are you comfortable doing that drive straight through?
Two recommendations: 1 - approach companies around the airports. 2 - keep the cargo weight under 3,000 lbs.

DRBeck

New Recruit
Driver
My spouse works for a company that partners with one of the ski resorts near Denver and is there Thanksgiving-mid-March so I drive to visit. I'm 100% fine doing the drive straight through and this is my second year doing it. We switched to the Sprinter because I've been stuck on the wrong side of Vail pass a few times and it's a lot easier to stay in the Sprinter overnight than our previous truck. Also, we'll be converting it to an RV for summertime road trips but we haven't started yet.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My spouse works for a company that partners with one of the ski resorts near Denver and is there Thanksgiving-mid-March so I drive to visit. I'm 100% fine doing the drive straight through and this is my second year doing it. We switched to the Sprinter because I've been stuck on the wrong side of Vail pass a few times and it's a lot easier to stay in the Sprinter overnight than our previous truck. Also, we'll be converting it to an RV for summertime road trips but we haven't started yet.

Gotcha ...
As you know, the weather can be unpredictable west of Denver on 70 & west of Cheyenne on 80.
Again, try the airports & maybe try cold calling some places in Vail, Aspen, etc.
Keep us posted ....