Is this a starter or solenoid issue?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Sometimes when we turn the key to start our truck nothing happens except the lights on the stereo dim. No clicking noise or anything else.
We turn the key off and then try again in about 15 to 30 seconds and then it usually starts. This only happens occasionally. Once a month maybe.
Is this a starter or solenoid issue?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'd say solenoid but you usually buy the starter and solenoid together so it won't matter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Chevy Expresso

Rookie Expediter
Fords used have the solenoid separate. Don't know about newer ones though. But yeah sounds like it so annoyed problem. Voice to text typo. Ironically funny so I didn't fix it.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
What kind of truck?

Sent from my PH44100 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Bruno knows a shop that can fix it if you are ready to retire.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
That is funny right there Paullud. LOL

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Is the truck an automatic or manual?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Automatic. Eaton Ultrashift 10 speed.
When the key is first turned on you can hear the transmission doing the self test and then we get a neutral light. But it is doing the same thing it would if you tried turning the key before the test is done.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
This brings up another question. We have a battery kill switch that shuts everything down. I'm wondering if it really shuts down "everything". The cable coming out of it seems small to go to the starter. Hard to trace as it disappears into the frame.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Do you get any codes when this happens? If a code 17 comes up, its not the solenoid on the starter. It could be the solenoid on the firewall. We had this problem last week with the same kind of truck with the same motor.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Bruno, your post didn't come through and I would be interested to know your opinion.
Please send it again.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
This brings up another question. We have a battery kill switch that shuts everything down. I'm wondering if it really shuts down "everything". The cable coming out of it seems small to go to the starter. Hard to trace as it disappears into the frame.

You might want to get that checked out also because you don't need a truck fire. We lost a truck last year to a starter. That is what Paullud was talking about when he said I know a shop that can fix it if you want to retire.