Is there a "good" company??

bkkeystone

Expert Expediter
My wife and I just recently (Feb) sold our "D" unit for a loss and after more than two years, said we wouldnt expedite again. How many times have ya'll heard that before??? We did this because a gung-ho dispatcher bid a job from Chi to Tampa, Fl. that would pay us $1.00 per mile, and after we accepted and picked it up in northwest Chi in one heck of a snowstorm at 4:30 in the afternoon------said it must deliver in Tampa at 1:00pm the next afternoon!! We tried never to turn down a load to be good "company" people. Anyway, we got there at 4:00pm and then had to wait to unload(sound familiar).The dispatcher was nasty and said he told the broker (Tasmania) that we had an accident.

I want to go back expediting, but is there any companies (company) out there that aren't hung up on the expediting one-up-manship of what ever you can do I can do better, faster, on the exact minute or we do it for free and horse whip the driver????

The object if to move freight from point A to B in an expedited manner considering the safety of the driver and the cargo integrity!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If he wanted it there that bad and that fast, then he should have sent them by air. If I were you I would have pushed the issue, about him lying to the receiver.

Sit back for a moment and read all the threads on this forum. Now ask yourself the same question??? If you look hard enough, you may find a good company to work for. You may have a better shot with a smaller company. Good Luck!!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'd sure like to see the airplane that would fly it for a buck a mile. Maybe one of them smoke throw'in Aeroflots. For sure i'd want
my chute on if I was riding. Nomad, I hope you didn't haul that load
for nothing because you were late under those circumstances.
did you accept the delivery time considering the storm?? There is something to be said about being a good little driver. But??

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Is there a

hI ALL
IN ANSWER TO YOUR STATEMENT. THIS IS A TRUE STORY

AROUND 10-15 YEARS AGO, THERE WAS A JB HUNT DRIVER AT THE ONTARIO,CA TA, WHO GOT A LOAD TO PICK UP NEAR THE LA AIRPORT. AT AROUND 6 PM ON A FRIDAY AFTERNOON. tHIS DRIVER TAPED ALL DISPATCHES THAT HE RECEIVED FROM HIS DISPATCHER, WHICH HE KNEW DIDNT LIKE HIM.

oN THIS PARTICULAR LOAD THE DISPATCHER INSISTED ON THE DRIVER DELIVERING THIS LOAD AROUND TRENTON, NJ THE FOLLOWING MONDAY, APPROX 3100 MILES, AT THAT TIME THE MAX SPEED ON A JB HUNT TRUCK WAS 55 MPH, WITH AN AVERAGE OF APPROX BETWEEN 45 IN THE MOUNTAINS, AND 50 IN THE FLATS, HE WAS ROUTED I10E TO ONTARIO, CA
15N TO BARSTOW, CA
I40 E TO OKLA CITY, OK
I44/ E TO I55N ST. LOUIS
I55 N TO I-70 E
I70 E- I-76E PA, TURNPIKE
I76E TO I195E TO US 1 S TO TRENTON.
sO EVERYONE FIGURE IT OUT THERE WAS NO WAY THAT THE DRIVER CAN MAKE THIS LOAD 4EVEN LEGALLY AND THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT THE DISPATCHER WANTED.
SO ACCORDING TO THE DISPATCH IS WAS TAPED EXACTLY THIS WAY::

DISPATCHER: I DON'T CARE HOW YOU GET THE LOAD THERE! JUST GET IT THERE ON MONDAY MORNING AT 6 AM PERIOD!

DRIVER: OK IT WILL BE THERE.

K-UFF SAID

HERES THE KICKER.

1. DRIVER WAS A LT. COL AIR FORCE (RETIRED)
2. HE MAD A FEW PHONE CALLS AND CALLED IN A COUPLE OF MARKERS HE STILL HAS OWED FOR VIETNAM.
3. SATURDAY MORNING THE TRUCK WITH THE SATELLITE COMPLETELY COVERED
WITH THE ALUMINUM FOIL, NO HOLES AT ALL EXPOSED. WAS LOADED ON A US AIR FORCE C-4 CARGO PLANE AND WAS HEADED FOR MCGUIRE AIRFORCE BASE, APPROX 20 MILES SE OF TRENTON NJ, IT ARRIVED ON SUNDAY MORNING AROUND 11AM, HE PARKED AT THE PETRO, IN BORDENTOWN, Nj, AND WAS AT THE RECEIVER AT 6 AM MONDAY MORNING. STILL HAS NOT TAKEN OFF THE FOIL YET.
4. HE WAS UNLOADED AROUND 8-830 AM AND HE CALLED HIS DISPATCHER TO TELL HIM HE WAS UNLOADED AND READY TO BE LOADED AGAIN. HIS DISPATCHER REALLY DIDNT BELIEVE THAT HE WAS AT THE RECEIVER, SO THE DRIVER PUT HIM ON THE PHONE TO PROVE HE WAS THERE. AND THE DISPATCHER STILL DIDNT BELIEVE HIM. SO HE RAN OUT TO THE TRUCK AND PULLED OFF THE FOIL, AND WALLA- DISPATCH FOUND HIM AT THE RECIEVER BUT STILL DIDNT BELIEVE HIM.
5 AROUND THE 10 OF THE FOLLOWING MONTH THE DISPATCHER RECEIVED A INVOICE FROM THE US AIR FORCES BILLING DEPARTMENT MADE OUT THIS WAY.

DISPATCHERS NAME
% JB HUNT TRUCKING COMPANY
PO BOX ???
LOWELL, AR

THE AM0UNT OF THE BILL FOR THE USE OF THE PLANES, FUEL, MANHOURS, AND FLIGHT TIME WERE CHARGED ACCORDINGLY, THE TOTAL BILL WAS
WOULD YOU BELEIVE $38,000

A COPY OF THE TAPE WAS PERSONALLY BROUGHT TO THE LOWELL OFFICE BY THE DRIVER ABOUT A WEEK LATER WHEN HE WENT HOME, HE WAS BASED OUT OF THE MAIN TERMINAL.

THAT WAS THE PROOF OF WHAT THE DISPATCHER TOLD THE DRIVER UNDER NO UNFORSEEN CIRCUMSTANCES TO GET THAT LOAD THERE BY THE TIME INVOLVED.

jb PAID THE BILL BUT DON;T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DISPATCHER.

SO IF YOU THINK THAT THE DISPATCH IS BEING UNREASONABLE AND YOU KNOW LEGALLY OR EVEN CLOSE TO LEGAL,
THAT YOU CANNOT MAKE IT. TAKE IT, 95% OF ALL LOADS NORMALLY HAVE A 1-2 HOUR WINDOW. IT CAN BE RESCHEULED FOR THE LATER TIME. i WOULD SAY THAT MOST DISPATCHERS KNOW THAT THEY HAVE A LEAWAY TO GET IT THERE. THEY JUST WANT YOU THERE TO COVER THERE BUTT. BUT IF YOU GET STOPPED AT A SCALE HOUSE, OR BY STATE POLICE IN A VEHICLE CHECK ROADSIDE.
PUT OUT OF SERVICE, OR GET A TICKET OF ANY SORT, IT YOUR FAULT, NOT THE DISPATCHERS, HE THE ONE NOT DRIVING YOUR TRUCK.

iTS LIKE WHEN I USE TO DELIVER PRODUCE, MOST OF THE PLACES WE WERE GOING TO, FOOD LION, KROGER, SHOP-RITE, WINN-DIXIE, PIGGLY-WIGGLY, IGA,
DIDNT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE WHICH GROCERY WAREHOUSE YOU WENT TO YOUR APPOINTMENT TIME WAS ALWAYS BETWEEN 4-5 AM, EVEN THOUGH RECIEVING DIDNT OPEN UNTIL 7 AM WHEN THE GUARD SHOWED UP, BUT YOU DID'T GET INTO A DOOR PRIOR TO 7:30-8 am And they (the dispatchers all new this. even though they deny it. ITS EXACTLY THE SAME WITH THE big THREE. LIKE IN CHRYSLER, FENTON,MO tHE BILL ACTUALLY SAYS
ST. LOUIS, WHICH IS DOWNTOWN, AND YOUR NOT PAID THE 35 MILES THAT YOU JUST TRAVELED EXTRA, PLUS THEY TELL YOU THE DELIVERY TIME IS 5AM THATS EASTERN, NOT CENTRAL. SO YOU HAVE TO WAIT 3 HOURS BEFORE RECIEVING ACTUALLY OPENS WHICH IS 7AM CENTRAL.AND DONT GET THERE AFTER 2:30 SUNDAY AM, THATS IF THEY
STILL HAVE 2 SHIFTS.
THERE CLOSED AFTER THAT UNTIL MONDAY AT 7AM

i THINK THAT WAS ENUFF SAID,

FRANK

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Is there a "good" company

I take you don’t have much of a hankering for dispatchers. Nice story Frank! But what Expediter do you know that has the cahoneys to pull off something like that.

RobZip

Expert Expediter

>I take you don’t have much of a hankering for dispatchers.

Who would? I think we all have had examples of the clash that exist between those who merely talk about the load and those who actually move it.

My favorite dispatchers are the night shift rookies who send messages at the last minute that I'm supposed to pick up a check for $800 for freight bill prior to departure. Invariably it turns out the load is pre-paid. For some reason payment method is a problem some of them have trouble deciphering.

These are usually 20 yr old female types with a 6 month tech certificate in Transportation Science who are turned loose after minimal training as dispatchers.

Somebody asked,
she is shaving
her beaver.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

Brandy

Expert Expediter

That JB Hunt story is BS. First of all how the hell do you tape messages off a Qualcomm? And if he taped a phone conversation, thats illegal and charges can be pressed due to wire tapping laws. Third why would a Lt. Col. that served in Vietnam, and has as much favors racked up from doing good deeds for other military men, retire from the Air Force only to become a company truck driver for JB Hunt?? Dude your story makes as much sense as McDonals spending hundreds of millions of dollars advertising their new $5 Broccoli and Cabbage flavored milkshake. Next time you want to come up with a story thats 100% crap, say that your also giving away a free cap to anyone who thinks it's true.

A real trucker never has to lie.

newthead

Expert Expediter

HEY MAN!! I TAKE GREAT OFFENSE TO WHAT YOU SAID!!!

Don't knock the McDonald's cabbage and broccoli shake!!!! It's to DIE for!!

Brandy

Expert Expediter

If you like the $5 Cabbage and Broccoli Milk Shake, then I guess you also got a free hat after beliving that drivers JB Hunt story. Way to go your on your way to Winning the Million Dollar prize in The Drivers With No Common Sense Scratch and Win Game.

bkkeystone

Expert Expediter

Ya'll never know just how soooooo soooorrrrrreeeyy I am that I ever even opened up this discussion!!! The JB Hunt story really helped me ; not in getting infor on that good company, but in seeing that, yes, truck drivers are for sure N U T S!!! That story was so ridiculous it was funny!!! Truck on !!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Sean!
The guy that told that JB story is the Tax Master of EO. He is the moderator of the tax forum on this site. I would have to say if Frank posted it, then 90 % of it is true. I would say100% but who speaks of all that with out some exaggeration? I could believe it. Some drivers will go to extremes to burn a disgruntle dispatcher. They sell the phone tap, with the mini recorder at all the truck stops. He only taped it to prove the dispatcher said that, and only played it to the JB boss.

Brandy

Expert Expediter
One Big Misunderstanding

You meant Fkatz is... lol hey whats up there "Fkatz baby" I knew your story was the truth, lol I was just messing around with you by calling you a :censoredsign:er. Man is it getting hot in here or is it just me? Fkatz no hard feelings huh? I mean we're all human right?

Sean

lighting

Expert Expediter
RE: One Big Misunderstanding

think before you speak if im going to call someone a lair im going to know what im talking about

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: One Big Misunderstanding

Peace Brothers!
Free broccoli and cabbage shakes for everyone:7
Actually I just tried the asparagus and onion shake and it was awesome!
-Weave-

Wannabe

Expert Expediter

Hi, Everybody.

This is my first post, as I just registered this morning, so please bear in mind that I say the following with a grin.
A lot of the replies are funny and entertaining, but I noticed nobody really answered the question. How come, I wonder. I would like to know about the best companies, also. Thanx
:)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Well Wannabe! I think it’s like this. What may be good to you is not so good to me. Bkkeystone, knew the answer before he even ask it. He was hoping that a miracle happened over night, that he wasn’t aware of. In this field it is a cut throat business, and most companies or dispatches will do and say thing so they are awarded the load. Knowing short of that miracle happening, that load is going to be late. Most of the shippers calling about the ETA of their load are feed some story, that always points to the driver. As they say Sh%# rolls down hill, and the driver is the last to start the climb. Who can really say what company is the best? The best thing to do for yourself is to maybe talk to all the companies, and form your own opinion. If you read the forum, past and present, you will learn some good questions you can ask a recruiter.

bkkeystone

Expert Expediter

Teacel

You must be at least as old as I am to have that kind of wisdom and yet isn't it funny after all the years we still need some kind of reassurance!! You are so right that when I asked that question I hoped for some kind of miracle answer that would lead me to a company that REALLY treated me with respect. What the hell, I'm still going back into expediting 'cause the money is so darn good!!!

Hope to meet u on the road someday!!!