Is the grass greener for real

fdell

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm getting more disenchanted with Conway Now every day. 90% of the freight is discounted,fuel surcharges are going away,deadhead is way up,backhauls are a joke,and real team runs are few.I've given it 2 years and really can't say I've seen them mature as promised.This feeling is shared by other drivers I've spoken to.
OK-enough whining-most of the above is common to other carriers too.....or is it???
How about some comments about Panther,Fedex,Landstar,etc....maybe I,m in the wrong place and just don't know it !!Let the games begin....

Frank

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
maybe I,m in the wrong place and just don't know it !!Let the games begin....

The games began when you signed the lease papers. You are in the right place, the same place as everyone else, so just keep taking the loads that are offered & hope that things get better. I have been on this site and a couple of other sites for three years now & everyone bitches about no work. (Even me). Just deal with it. You could have been a doctor or a lawyer...

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I left ConwayNow for about the same reasons you listed in March 2000 and moved to Landstar. I did much better with Landstar for 10 months, but it died last October. During those 10 months they had lots of good team runs, you usually got return loads from the west, and the rates were good. I am not hearing much good about Landstar this year. I can only tell you they were better than ConwayNow. Landstar works through agents rather than central dispatch, so this is an adjustment you would need to make. If you go with them, make sure you have a good cell phone deal with lots of anytime/anyplace minutes and a good pager(not CUE).

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i think fedex cc is the best, i'm in process of leaving and going to a local company and they said try it for 30 days and if it doesn't work out the way you want. come on back and contuine on. i've look at all the rest out there and as i see fedex cc is the best of the lot
you just have to know how to make most of it
later

BigB

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Boy oh boy i know what you mean con-job -now is going down the drian.Well look at this way they still have ed & ruby & there 12 or 20 trucks.From what i hear ther the only one's making any money over there.I guess they don't dael with rodney(what a joke).The first thing they need to do is get rid of that ##### kiss .Of course all you have to do is look at the leader ship over there.Ed, jimmy ,matt.Roberts express still lives on at con job now.good luck over there

IcePrincess25

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well, I would love to give my 2 cents, so umm, I will.
I was with Fed Up for a while, and averaged 1 load every 3 days, taking just about everything offered to me. So for my $1.00 a mile over time didn't add up to much when payday rolled around. It was so dead for awhile, the only way to guarantee myself a load was to deadhead myself to Chicago after each run.
So I switched to Con-Way, and Monday thru Friday, except for the July 4th week, I had a load everyday (besides weekends). So the way I look at it, I may run for a lesser rate, do my share of deadhead, but I am not sitting, spending money, I am running, and believe it or not making money.
I look at it this way, I would rather run, than sit my usual 2 days as I did with Fed Up, I like being the only truck in most areas or a shocking second in some cases. I also know if they deadhead me somewhere, there is a reason behind it.
Now if you like Fed Up, and enjoy being 5th or worse in line, having to hide where other trucks aren't to be closer to the pick-up, or enjoy having a computer run your business, then by all means your with the right company. I have to say, its all where you fit in. Jimmy, and a few others at Con-Way, I admit, are Arseholes, but I never deal with them. The dispatchers I do deal with, treat me decent, and I feel respect me, I could be wrong, but they sure put on a good show if they don't. I never ever felt I got any respect from Fed up, mostly felt lied to, and as if I was nothing to them, at least after I was with them a sufficent amount of time.
All these companies are one thing or another, and it mostly depends on what kind of week you have, or who you talked to that day, or whatever. I just know what is making me money, and keeping me happy. Good Luck to all.

ladyex

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Frank, you are in the wrong place I pulled all five of my trucks from Conway last July and took them to Panther. I was experiencing the same problems. While Panter is not perfect I have seen our deadhead go down and panther rarely discounts freight and you can talk to a real person about you settlements.

fdell

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Many thanks for the input-food for thought....
Heron-The cheapest brand available
BigB-Gee, don't sugarcoat how you feel

Frank

BigB

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
is the grass greener for real iceprincess25

Dear Iceprincess25..

the only thing you got right is 1,Jimmy is an xxxhole.2,You will be doing a lot of dead head.And 3,you will be running discount freight.Other then that this is the same company you just left.Oh,don't get me wrong there are some nice people over there, but i dont need any more friends in this biz.I need freight and good paying freight.Its company's like con job now that feed everyone out there that discount is the only way and thats bullxxxx.We got in to this biz. because it's hot freight and should pay more not less.there the only ones making any money there home every nite every weekend.they get paid if your loaded or not.you would be loaded every day if they got paid buy the load and not the hour..the only reason that company has team trucks is so they can dead head you to a single driver load.oh yeah! the open door pol. yeah its open just dont let hit you in the xasx on the way out.onless you drive ed& ruby then you'll be fine.of course that's another con job story..really wish you lots of luck just be careful .