Is it really all that bad?

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Well folkes, I am either misreading the post here or somebodies are telling big fibs. First off, I truely believe that all or at least most of you are of above average intelligence. But, to hear the comments made here, no one likes thier job and no one is making money. I find that hard to believe. I realize that there is a slow down in frieght right now, I see it on the OTR sites also. So, let me ask this in a differnet way, are ya making money? Are you making what you "feel" like you should or is it that you feel like you should be making more but are not? And in reality, even thought the job is hard and lonely, and not always fair, would you really trade it off for doing something else? I saw that a long time drive recently left and is doing the R.V. thing, but I get the feeling that if he had been making more money he would have still been out there doing his thing. I ask these questions, not to cause trouble, but to see if you when you think about it, are you really happy in what are doing? If I were to go back to reading the post for the fall and winter of the last two years, would I see that they were happier people? Is this just the spring and early summer blues? Really, whatsahappening folkes?

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
The fact is it's really slow. At least for me. If I had a truck payment and I hadn't planned for slow times I'd be out of business by now. Not just slow but real real slow.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Are you making what you "feel" like you should or is it that
>you feel like you should be making more but are not? And in
>reality, even thought the job is hard and lonely, and not
>always fair, would you really trade it off for doing
>something else?

I ask these questions, not to cause
>trouble, but to see if you when you think about it, are you
>really happy in what are doing?

When I get the deliveries I'm doing just fine. I have enough saved for the down times. I haven't been super busy lately but some of that is my own doing. I realize there's down times & it's not the fault of the company I work for. So yes, for the runs that I take, I feel things are ok.

On an hourly basis, I could make more running pizzas than doing this. The thing w/ that though, is there's only about 3 good hours/day for running pizzas. I'll never get a $2000 check like I can at this job. I've gone back/forth on doing that on weekends, but I don't want to have that great weekend run offered & I'm already committed to another job.

The "lonely" part of the job is something that I have a bigger challenge w/ than the pay. To make $400 (or whatever) for a run is obviously pretty decent. It's when you sit out there for 2, 3, or more days that all of a sudden that 400 doesn't look so great. I do my best to not get myself in those positions. It doesn't always pan out that way, but that's what I try & do.

Am I happy w/ what I'm doing? I like my job, but I don't love it. The pay is decent when ya get runs. I like to drive. I like that ya can just go out of service on a whim, because lets face it, things come up at home all the time. I like no boss sitting over your shoulder. The bad part of the job I don't care for sitting in that van for days on end, so I've pretty much set a half day limit on how long I'll sit. I have an apt. in Toronto, so if I could go from Michigan to Toronto & back, I'd do that all week long pretty much. Again, it doesn't always pan out that way, but that's what I shoot for.

All in all I'd give this job an 8 out of 10 for satisfaction rating.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
How do you have a handle like Sawbones when you POST like a Therapist?
:)

It is slow everywhere that I know of but I enjoy a dedicated route so I know when and what I have but I love this trucking and slow or busy I am enjoy everyday of it. There aint nobody but me. It dont get no better

Raceman
OTR O/O

Drluvv

Expert Expediter
It upsets me to read some of the posts drivers are putting up on this great website. A lot of you guys are complaining that things are slow and the freight isn't really paying that much and if things keep up your gonna have to quit or work for another expediting company. I've been in the business for five years now and have seen a lot and have taken serious notes that I'll like to share with all of you fellow drivers.
1. Freight Is Slow Every Month Out Of The Year. Some drivers and companies will tell you that things slow down three or four months out of the year and the rest of the time is crazy. But from what I've seen and experienced depending on where you are in the states or Canada freight in that area might be little or none due to the SEASON.
2. Don't Be Afraid Of The Big Cities. You hear it in every truckstop, online chatroom, and forums, drivers talking about how they hate the north east and the big cities. No matter how much the load is paying, they'd rather take a load paying pennies on the dollar that sends them out to the middle of no where than to take a load paying a couple thousand or more going to New York City, Chicago(not in the N.E.) or Boston.
3. Theres Nothing Wrong With Canada. I agree I used to be afraid of going into Canada, dealing with customs, the traffic at the border and the thought of being in another country. But that all changed after I was given a load that I was begged to take to Toronto. For the next three weeks I was driving back and forth from the U.S. to Canada with every load grossing three thousand a week while driving solo. After that my fear of Canada was gone even though customs would sometimes mess with me x-raying and searching the truck.
4. When things get slow in the mid West, head to the N.E., thats where the money is. If you drive around up there long enough you'll get used to it and won't be affraid.
5. When you sit in a truckstop long enough not working, not getting paid you slowly start to get depressed and thats a bad thing when your an OTR driver.
6. Get It While The Getting Is Good. Don't go home and rest when your getting good paying loads everyday of the week. Thats just plain dumb, work your tail off making as much money as possible. Play a game trying to make more money one week than you did the last, and then try and save as much money as you can out on the road.
7. Limit Your Home Time To Just The Winter Months. It's no secret that freight is slows down during the winter months thats why its best to just pack it up and rest during that time. Why risk driving into a snow storm and sliding off the road. Who wants to idle there truck 24/7 when its cold out. If you work hard during the spring, summer and fall months you can then relax and save money at home during the winter months staying warm by the fireplace.
What I'v found is that Expediting is great, the job offers the freedom of being able to do what you want while working and not having to worry about a boss looking over your shoulder. The problem that bothers many drivers is not being able to make that "good" money consistanly through out the year and thats why they fall on hard times. You need to be willing to work in areas that test your patience and driving skills and to work hard and long when the freight is good in order to make the money you need and want in this business.

Gener8

Expert Expediter
That might work well for you, but other companies are very slow now. It is not the winter time. I have not had a load offer for 10 days. I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I do Canada, New York City, Boston, basically I go anywhere. The fact is my company did not calculate properly when they decided to increase the fleet. No considerations was given to how many people live in an area or how much freight comes out of the area. All they wanted was to have trucks on every corner. All of our drivers are having prayer meetings in truckstop parking lots, praying for multiple hurricanes to hit Jacksonville, Fl. and for other natural disasters. Why !!! Because it seems that is what our company is basing business predictions on. I have been in this business for 9 years, I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. This is the ugliest ever. I do not skip around to every company on the spinning wheel of expediters. But a change may be necessary.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
This is my opinion and that is all it is so dont bust a brain stem over it.

If you look back over time, even on this site, you will see that freight like everything else in life cycles. The ecomnomy cycles as well. This is a very slow period but this is not the first time and it will not be the last.

I think what happens is that when things slow down and money gets tight people become stressed and depressed. Lets face it money is a big part of all of our driving force. When money is tight we get tight. Folks have truck payments, house payments, car payments, medical bills and none of those people understand we are slow and therefore still want their payments and on time. This causes people to need to release or vent and when a large number of people do that in one place, this site in this case, it looks very negitive.

I don't feel anyone in getting down on the business anymore than any other time it just seems loud because of the numbers that are venting. This is good in many cases because it will save a number of new folks from sinking money or giving up the house for a great big brand new truck at the wrong time.

I run into folks from every carrier each day at my pick ups. I talk to most of them and I have not had one of them crap on the business. Most of them say how slow things are and we talk about how we are woorking through it but that is about it. We all need to vent. We all need someone to talk to. It is good and natural. Anyone coming to this site just see all the happy, smiling faces and get pumped up so they go get themselves a new truck needs to see this is not always a perfect business. I have been having problems now for 7 months due to a lot of things which include slow freight. I continue to love what I do and right now can not see myself doing anything else.

Trust me when I say the folks that hang in there because they like this business and love their job will all be singing the happy song down the road just like we all were doing a while back. It is just a cycle. Trucking is not going away. Expediting is not going away.

As for the carriers. If you have not learned by now few of them care about any one of us in great detail. We are a truck and although I do not agree with them they all just want as many trucks as they can get. Keep in mind when one of us quits they are already putting decals on two trucks to take our place. I think that is the wrong way to do business on one hand but on the other hand they are doing what makes them money and afterall it is their business.

The reality of this slow period is that is trims the fat so to speak. People who are not in it because they love it go away during these times and those of us who hang in there are there when the freight picks up and then we are all happy again and the POSTS are about specing new trucks and then the carriers start heavily recruiting, all is right with the world and the cycle simply goes on and on.

Relax and stick it out and feel good about it or look into something else and feel good about that.

Raceman
OTR O/O

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
I think the general sentiment might actually be that this expediting thing is a kick in the pants, but some are indeed in situations or with carriers that are less profitable right now. I mean, how can you travel around this beautiful country, be your own boss practically and not love it?

We've discovered that it is a business of niches though, at least for us. We went from one of the major carriers to a small company, and have had better luck financially and career wise because of it. But we've learned to look longer term, especially longer than a specific run or even a week.

We just had one of our greatest months ever, we're poised to add a generator onto the truck and are even still considering a tag axle for greater profitability. We just bought a new engine for this truck, so no truck payment and a new engine, WHOO-HOO! And our carrier was instrumental in putting everything together for us with some deep discounts.

This carrier is like running with your own authority, but with a support office/billing staff. What we do give up is we don't get 'shotgunned loads', we don't cherry pick. They set up a load, we run.

It's not fer everyone, we trust these guys where we didn't trust the old carrier any longer. And those that are getting 'sorta hoodwinked' and feel that their carriers are kinda jerking 'em around? Well been there, done that and if we were still doing it, we'd be singing the blues big time!

Bottom line, we're happy and making money Sawbones.

The Gibster

califcamper

Expert Expediter
Ill give you my take on the whole industry. I've been in this business for about 8 years now starting as a courier and moved up
to now delivering freight. From what I see its really never been worth it. Just another person that cant stand working inside under supervision (one of the things I admire about all of us that are independant drivers). Unfortunately what I have found is that pretty much all of the companies just dont treat this profession with any professionalism towards the drivers. Even when one is treating you decent as far as keeping one busy it still comes down to the problem of when all the expenses and taxes are taken out of the money its really hardly worth it.
From what Ive experienced with all the expediting companies Ive worked for (and its been alot) is one main comparison:
They all have decieved me and lied to me to my face. Oh yeah they"ll talk real nice to you while they"re screwing you. I understand that for them its not an easy industry either, slow periods hurt us all, but lets face it Ive worked for alot of owners that are driving mercedes benz when Im barely keeping my truck safe and on the road for peanuts. I think it comes down alot to just out right greed (like everything in this country anymore). If the owners of these companies were willing to take less of a profit and give more to the driver it would be a little more worth it do go out and drive for 50 hours a week in one of the most riskiest jobs in life.
Just a little advice to you who are thinking about doing this in a cargo van, consider this all the weight your carrying in the back, even with a metal divider between the frieght and you, if your in a head on wreck (I hope it never happens but...) all that weight immediately comes thru any divider and crushes you to death. Ive seen it happen unfortunately right in front of me, by the time I got up to the guy he was dead.
Sorry dont mean to be so negative about the business but facts are facts and I am one tired driver and maybe hope to make one think twice before doing this for a living. Dont get trapped into the only thing you can end up doing is this. Also what other occupation is there where your working 10-12 hours a day and have to be on mentally the whole time if you take your eyes off the road for a minute your done. It really kills you mentally over the long run.
The only SOULUTION I would have is try and get the actuall companies to hire you directly and eliminate the middle man. Cut their price and raise yours a little to make it more worth while. (easier said then done). Start your own small expediting company yourself, theres no reason you cant, I do it myself now. Instead of a $1.00 per mile I get the whole amount without giving atleast half of it to a company who could care less about me.
Other soulution I would say maybe just go with an eighteen wheeler and be an owner operator there although Im sure their dealing with the same crap but atleast they have more opportunities to get with more companies and more frieght. Figure it out when you have half a truck then your gonna have half as many opportunities. The guy with the eighteen wheeler can pick up my 3 skids and deliver it just as easy as me only he can also pick up 20 skids too. His truck is a little bigger but same expenses as a straight truck. (gas, engine repairs, etc.)
Well I am just trying to help
Regardless, I respect all drivers out there, and hope everyone gets what their worth.

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Survey time

Let me then ask this question in a different light, if I may? We do it in a roll call type manner. Those who are sitting around a lot lately will have the top, and those on the move will have the bottom. We will split the catagory by single vs. team units. put in a 1. (Single 1, 1, 1, and so on)

So, are you sitting:

Single:

Team:

Or are you running enough to make a reasonable salary:

Single: 1,
Team:

Thanks for participating!!! :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
RE: Survey time

>Let me then ask this question in a different light, if I
>may?

May I ask a question of you first? Why are you doing such a survey? What do you hope to learn and why?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

ATeam wrote;
May I ask a question of you first? Why are you doing such a survey? What do you hope to learn and why?

Interesting?

I was thinking the same thing.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I sit every day for at least 10 hours to appease the DOT. I run 9x% of the days I'm in service. When I'm not running it's probably a situation like tomorrow where I'll be unloaded at 0600 and have a pickup already set for Monday 0700 about 50 miles away. Tomorrow I'll rest, read, watch a little tv if I can pick up a channel with racing or pbs, catch up on phone calls and generally enjoy an earned day off.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Lets see a $10,000.00 a year pay cut since 2001. Monthly fuel cost went from $400.00 per month to $900.00.Cost of living increased 15% over the same 4 year period.2 weeks ago I drove 2300 miles for $900.00.Last week I did 1 load from Ohio to Toronto then sat until Friday night. Im scared because May and June are usually busy monthes due to build out and prototype auto freight. If it isn't busy now then how can we survive the typically slow periods.

I talked to 2 drivers yesterday who were basically order by our company to post back up on the board or their leases would be cancelled. Because we're busy!!!??? One didn't get a load for the whole week. The other one had a good week but nothing outstanding.So just how independent are we.

I'm proud of my job and try to give the best customer service that I can. But I,ve met alot of bad drivers who should of never been recruited.My personal opinion is if they feel the need to keep hiring during the slow time why not only hire the best they can get, instead of anybody who can buy a truck . I was once told buy a production manager at a large automotive plant that if a company could just have 50 good drivers they would give them all thier expedite frieght.

Sorry for such a negative post but I feel much better just getting that off my chest. Hope everybody has a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Some ask why take such a survey? Is it really a survey? I like the subject on the basis that it is shinning alot of light on a problem in the industry right now.

I was told on this site less than a year ago "you will be begging for time off" nope aint happened yet. I have only come close once and only once of running out of 70. Now I am not wanting to come accross as if I am bragging, I have done very well since January.
I am still on track to making my yearly goal, but lets face it I am staying out for 3-4 weeks at a time, and Boston sucked this week took 3 days and I was the only truck up there, acutally Chicopee MA.
Freight for Expediting is slow hopefully it was just a very, bad month. I was so excited that the good months were finially here only to be dissipointed this last month. 18 wheelers are still very busy, (best friend is a broker) he has more freight than trucks and every month he is backed up with more of the same.

I enjoy this business. I have found what I really like doing for a living, own my own truck, have in my opion one of the best companies behind me in Expediting, love driving, do my best every load to keep the customer my # one priority, I am learning more every week.

Negative- sitting oh I hate the second day I have no problem until 34 hours than well, you all should understand. Traffic on Friday afternoons.

Solution, keep a positive attitude. Go to library and find books on this subject, attitude is everything in life. Plan from your past, spending very little, have a want list. Right now thats what it is just a list. Planning on a few more bad months and hoping things turn around next week or maybee tommorow.

An Observation, truckers are negative people to begin with. I see due to not being able to make a living many people will be exiting this industry soon. I have not been in this long, my past business ownerships were all started when the economy went South, which is a natural cycle in our economy. This I feel is hitting us harder than # 1 we thought # 2 I do not think many of us me included saw this comming this soon.

I wish you all the very best.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
An Observation, truckers are negative people to begin with. I see due to not being able to make a living many people will be exiting this industry soon. I have not been in this long, my past business ownerships were all started when the economy went South, which is a natural cycle in our economy. This I feel is hitting us harder than # 1 we thought # 2 I do not think many of us me included saw this comming this soon

For the folks that are fairly new, you thoughts are shared by many.
For many of us, this is a repeat of 2000. Trucks were sitting all over and many left the business at that time.
But, it did get better.
This cycle is pretty much the same.
Back then it was lack of freight and too many new start up companies.
This time around, it is stagnant rates, lowering freight volumes, and increasing operating costs. The latter including much higher fuel costs.
Supply and demand will control how much and how fast things come around.
Davekc
owner
20 years

Drluvv

Expert Expediter
Davekc you hit the nail on the head, I've been driving for FECC for two years and have seen the freight come and go like the tide in the ocean and the money in my wallet. I feel for the newbies just starting out cause the high cost of fuel is only compounding their situation with the slow and little paying freight. This segment of the trucking industry is overwhelmed with drivers and start up companies and theres not enough freight to go around. No one wants to through in the towel, they have too much invested so we all just sit and take what ever we can get praying its enough to pay the bills and keep us afloat untile tomorrow. Theres only two ways that things can change
1. The economy picks up in the next few months, fuel prices drop by a dollar or more and China is some how wiped off the face of the planet which will leave more oil for us Americans :D

2. Some drivers and a lot of these startup companies are gonna have to go out of business which will then lean out the industry so that other drives including myself won't have to wait several days for a load and be able consistantly make good money week after week.

I know it sounds mean but its the truth so don't hate me. }>

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I hate to disappoint you, but none of that is going to happen anytime soon. First of all, China and India's economies are both expanding and their consumption of oil is only going to go up. The American auto industry is loosing market share annually. I can remember GM talking about how they had to become more competative back in the early 70's. Their idea of being competative is offering early retirements to senior employees - resulting in a brain drain.
As far as the start up companies going out of business, I don't see that happening. They operate on lower margins and carry cheap freight. Most of the drivers for the start up companies (my opinion) are there because they have older vehicles (can't carry some of the freight) or they are tired of the nonsense from some of the established company office personnel. The established companies have to list a large number of vehicles available in order to qualify for major shippers.

Those that have had auto related businesses in the Detroit area know that when you work "with" the auto manufactures, you are giving up a lot of your autonomy and allowing them to dictate how to run your business.

Be careful out there, and drive safe.

Drluvv

Expert Expediter
I agree, China and India's economy are growing at an incredable rate and their use of oil is putting a strain on the worlds economy. I liked it when they were still third world countries without a snowballs chance in hell to develop. The expediting industry was started with the best intensions but now it's become a free for all with everyone just trying to make a living with an economy thats going south.